1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexuality and "Natural Selection"

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Linux Lenny, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Linux Lenny

Hi all,

It has been a long time since I came here. I was very busy with work and other stuff. I miss this place and miss you all.

I am an atheist, therefore I don't believe in god nor in soul. I only believe in what I can prove and test in laboratory. Lately, I was investigating very heavily the link between homosexuality and the evolution theory. Unfortunately, the results were not pleasant. Actually, they were disturbing!

I would like to start off by a quick explanation of the concept of Natural Selection. This concept was first introduced by Charles Darwin, in his ground-shaking book "On the Origin of Species". Here, I would like to quote literally, " ... Let it be borne in mind how infinitely complex and close-fitting are the mutual relations of all organic beings to each other and to their physical conditions of life. Can it, then, be thought improbable, seeing that variations useful to man have undoubtedly occurred, that other variations useful in some way to each being in the great and complex battle of life, should sometimes
    occur in the course of thousands of generations? If such do occur, can we doubt (remembering that many more individuals are born than can possibly survive) that individuals having any advantage, however slight, over others, would have the best chance of surviving and of procreating their kind? On the other hand, we may feel sure that any variation in the least degree injurious would be rigidly destroyed. This preservation of favourable variations and the rejection of injurious variations, I call Natural Selection ..."

What Darwin meant here is that the organisms which have an advantage over the others, will be able to survive and reproduce. Nature will utterly destroy the others. It seems that animals strive to reach one goal, which is reproduction. So the main question is, what about homosexuality? where does it fit? We all know that the homosexual act doesn't lead to reproduction. That is obvious, so what is the evolutionary purpose of homosexuality? I am very confused. Religion doesn't accept us! and neither does science. I am an LGBT, I feel it inside that being LGBT is something very natural and normal. But, normal based on what criteria? it seems that Nature and Natural Selection don't favor us, which is very disturbing!!

I am sorry if this looks harsh and unpleasant, but I just wanted to hear your view on this issue. Please note, that the concept of Natural Selection is accepted by all the world wide scientific community, thus we can't doubt it. It is supported by millions of evidence.

Sorry for the long post and looking forward to hearing your opinions. (*hug*)

Best Regards,
    Lenny

2. Clay

Actually if a small percentage of a group weren't inclined to have kids (speaking of cave men times here, no attraction to opposite sex, no societal pressure about raising a family being the best thing) then there would be more caregivers if anything happened to those that had kids.

More carers. Less mouths to feed. More people to get food.

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

In our DNA is stored every adaptaptation that proved successful in perpetuation of species. These adaptations simply await the proper queues to re-emerge. Many of the things we classify as disease are simply misplaced adaptions, inadvertantly queued.

Yes, there are reasons for homosexuality, points in time it was beneficial to continuation of species, beyond survival of the individual. What is that old saying; "monkey see, monkey do"... There are points in time that a trade off of creativity to sexuality would be useful.

Gays are stereotypically known for creativity and doing it their way. So a band of apes is suffering, a creative (gay) ape finds a solution and the duller (straight) apes mimic the creative solution.

Darwin has a limited view. You do not need to contribute offspring to be value added to the survival of species. Contributing an idea that can be passed forward is as important as a gene.

Think of gay as sentinals of species. Nature reaches for balance.

Tom

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Evolution myths: Natural selection cannot explain homosexuality - life - 16 April 2008 - New Scientist

BBC News - The evolutionary puzzle of homosexuality

Richard Dawkins And The Evolution Of Homosexuality (VIDEO)

I'll admit, i didn't read all of this (i will), but these links shows interesting points on all these questions.

Science doesn't know exactly (yet) how homossexuality was originated and how it works, but it does tell us that it is a normal thing, both in humans and in other animals. Religion tells us that it is a sin, and some religions say that we need to die.

I think there is a "small" difference there, right?

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    April 9th should be a gay holiday.

On 4-9-1476 Leonardo Da Vinci was denounced for sodomy. No record he was ever married or had children.

Did he contribute ideas to the species as valuable as any gene or physical adaptation?

[​IMG]

#5 skiff, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  6. soulcatcher

To be honest, I would say that many 'gay' men are capable of having sex with women. Just ask any older LGBT member on this forum.

7. Spaceman

It is indeed a mystery, as yet unsolved. I believe one theory is that mothers who have gay sons are also likely to be more fertile and have more offspring in general.

I guess we can take comfort in the fact that if there was absolutely no evolutionary advantage to homosexuality, it would have disappeared long ago.

8. CyclingFan

Well, possibly. Genetic traits don't necessarily have to have a positive value to be passed on. They could be neutral.

Also, that supposes that homosexuality is ruled by our genetics and heritable, and there's no proof that's the case. And there are identical twins with one gay one not.

9. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    To get anthropological about it...

Human beings are very flexible in our behaviour, it's one of our major traits as a species. If sexuality is a continuum and not an either/or type of thing, that would automatically create a range of individuals that vary from completely homosexual to completely straight, with a lot of people somewhere in between.

If you look at human history and the different cultures out there, you will find incredible variety, not all of them follow the one man one woman strictly monogamous pairing that some cultures assume is the "natural" order of things (I believe most animal species don't follow this model, either). Conceiving a child only requires one act between two people, it doesn't require them to be in love with each other or stay together.

Humans were for most of our history and evolution a hunting and gathering species, and in a society in which the genders might have been often separated because hunters spent long periods of time away from the carers of children, it could definitely make a difference between survival and non-survival to have a strong bond with one or more people of the same gender. So one could argue that the potential to be sexually and emotionally flexible was a positive survival trait in the context of early human history.

10. Ghosting

Bonding on a whole helps improve society and helps to reduce friction between peoples because the bonding creates a vested interest in the welfare of others and also encourages people to be more vested in society as a whole.

So what if some of these bonds are same-sex?

Can you imagine what this world would be like if these bonds didn't exist? It would be even more loveless, intolerant, and hateful than it already is.

It isn't like the natural world outside of human beings doesn't have examples of non-heteronormative behaviors.

We're just the only ones who make a huge deal out of it.

11. lilrocket

But, it is not the only strategy in evolution that is universally accepted by the scientific community. It's just the one that most people know.

Posted by DragonHerz:
    This seems like a very strong answer to me, and that homosexuality does not preclude someone from reproducing, and same-sex bonds confer an evolutionary advantage which is self-evident.

Also, with what to me is a much less compelling answer, homosexuality could be propagated through a form of kin selection.

More to the point, if you're caring for children, especially in sort of.. early history man, it''s very likely that these children are in some way related to you. As such, their survival in turn is the propagation of your own genes. Not as much as if they were your own children, but this is still the avenue for that sort of behaviour to be passed on.

Here's a source to look at: "Kin selection hypothesis" may explain homosexuality from an evolutionary point of view

With a quote from the source:
    Not sure why it identifies only "homosexual men" and not women, but there you go

Also..

There really is no "goal". When people talk about genes "wanting" something, for example, it is really just in a figurative sense. A "goal" would imply some deeper purpose. Evolution is just something that happens. There's no assigned "purpose" to any of it. It's mathematical. Talking of it as a goal is just a way of dumbing it down and helping people to understand. I say this because, if the evolutionary background behind a trait is murky, it doesn't mean you should feel like it doesn't have purpose or meaning in the sense that we use those words.

In terms of..

Whilst I don't think clarifying the evolutionary background of sexuality constitutes being "accepted" by science, if it makes you feel better, there are plenty of other behaviours which are not very easily grasped under evolution, especially not natural selection on its own. Self-sacrificing behaviours and altruism are not supported by natural selection alone.

12. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is a mistake to take a complex behavior like human sexuality and try to understand it in terms of natural selection. There are many human behaviors which ostensibly "don't have survival value." People's personality and behaviors are shaped by multiple influences. And, only some right wing conservative religious types are anti-gay. There are many religious groups that embrace their whole flock, regardless of differences. You can also pass on your DNA by being a sperm donor. And, there are gay dads and moms who have kids with their own DNA. Science is definitely not on the wrong side of this issue.

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

What arturo stated is correct. There are all kinds of people that could no longer survive natural selection. The world man has created has taken "natural" out of the equation.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Darwin's process of natural selection has indeed been corroborated by subsequent genetic and environmental discoveries, but to say that the science of evolution has not evolved itself since The Origin of Species was published in the 19th Century would be an error. There is to this day still considerable debate on the actual mechanism, and some very serious science has been applied to the question, generally agreeing with Darwin, but refining it considerably.

To the OP: the biggest error in your interpretation of what Darwin said is simply that it assumes a priori that homosexuality goes against what "seems" to be the "one" goal of organisms, i.e. reproduction. On what is this assertion based? It seems to me that it is more that the species itself should persist. If that is the case, and if the vast majority of a given viable species will indeed reproduce, how is homosexuality a threat to the species?

Let us agree, from a strictly empirical perspective that homosexuality is not confined to humans. That there are non-human examples of it everywhere is beyond question, yet all the evidence indicates that these species persist. Let us also agree that homosexuality is something that cannot be changed in ourselves, and that it has existed since the dawn of man...yet we persist.

I am reminded of a famous poem by Alexander Pope:

A Little Learning

A little learning is a dangerous thing ;
    Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring :
    There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
    And drinking largely sobers us again.
    Fired at first sight with what the Muse imparts,
    In fearless youth we tempt the heights of Arts ;
    While from the bounded level of our mind
    Short views we take, nor see the lengths behind,
    But, more advanced, behold with strange surprise
    New distant scenes of endless science rise !
    So pleased at first the towering Alps we try,
    Mount o’er the vales, and seem to tread the sky ;
    The eternal snows appear already past,
    And the first clouds and mountains seem the last ;
    But those attained, we tremble to survey
    The growing labours of the lengthened way ;
    The increasing prospect tires our wandering eyes,
    Hill peep o’er hills, and Alps on Alps arise !

15. Linux Lenny

Hi All,

Thank you very much for you input. Firstly, I would like to clarify one thing. I am a computer engineer and not a biologist, thus I can understand machines better than organic beings :slight_smile:. But actually, biology is like a hobby to me.

One thing which was repeatedly mentioned by some posters, which is doubting the evolution theory and the concept of natural selection. Here, I would like to answer by a quote from "The Greatest Show on Earth", by Richard Dawkins,

"By the time Darwin came to publish On the Origin of Species in 1859, he had amassed enough evidence to propel evolution itself, though still not natural selection, a long way towards the status of fact. Indeed, it was this elevation from hypothesis towards fact that occupied Darwin for most of his great book. The elevation has continued until, today, there is no longer a doubt in any serious mind, and scientists speak, at least informally, of the fact of evolution. All reputable biologists go on to agree that natural selection is one of its most important driving forces, although - as some biologists insist more than others - not the only one. Even if it is not the only one, I have yet to meet a serious biologist who can point to an alternative to natural selection as a driving force of adaptive evolution - evolution towards positive improvement. "

Well, the evolution theory and natural selection are facts, supported by millions of evidence. However, not all individual traits are yet explained. For example, why the prayer mantis female, kills the male after mating?. There are still many cases which need to be explained based on Natural Selection. But that doesn't mean that the concept is wrong.

I would like to add another thing. It is well know concept in science that the primary goal behind life is reproduction. Species struggle for existence each and every moment of their life just to pass on their genes to the next generations and ensuring the survival of the species. Of course, passing on genes can be done only by the "fittest", therefore any individual which can't reproduce and replicate itself is simply not "fittest". Here, I am talking from the nature perspective based on Darwin's concept of natural selection.

Another point, some posters mentioned the concept of "Kin Selection". Indeed, being a gay member in a species, will give your siblings and relatives higher chances of mating with the opposite sex, and thus passing on their genes, which are your genes. This might give some insight on the issue. But at the same time, and if we look at modern humans, we can observe something else. I have seen in this forum that many cases of LGBT people are complaining about their family being not supportive. How can we explain the family's behavior? I think, having a gay kid means that he/she will not be able to reproduce, which means your genes will simply die and they will not be passed on to the next generations. As parent, this will be really frustrating. As I mentioned before, the ultimate goal is to let your genes live as long as possible. So I can "understand" why some parents can not accept their kid being gay.

One very disturbing observation was on the savanna baboon (I think). Sometimes, the male will kill the child of the female, so she can ovulate again and carry his genes. Of course, the poor female will protect her kid but not to the point of severe injury, especially when the female is still young and can reproduce and pass on her genes. Imagine that she can give away her own kid just to be able to reproduce again. On the opposite, the grandmother will give her own life to protect the baby, simply because she can't reproduce again! This is just an example of how species behave when it comes to passing on their genes. Of course, I am not saying that modern humans are the same as savanna baboon. I am just saying that this example can lead us to think differently about the importance of passing on genes.

Please, I am talking in general and in a scientific way, away from emotions. Indeed, I believe that love is the most important thing in any relationship, whether it is same-sex or opposite-sex. I believe that LGBT people should be accepted by their families and by the society (come on me myself is LGBT :slight_smile:).

Finally, If we agree that reproduction is the ultimate goal of species, this leads us that homosexuality might not be "favored" by nature. Therefore, homosexuality might not be genetic trait, but rather an environmental issue.

That is only what is going on in my head lately. I am still a lot confused about the issue, and that's way I wanted to share with you. I hope no one is offended by my opinion, because I am just talking science. In real life things are different when it comes to love in modern humans.

Thank you very much and looking forward to hearing you views.

Best Regards,
    Lenny

#15 Linux Lenny, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Altruism in Primates

May find this interesting. I only briefly heard about this in anthropology and haven't read this article though.

But since homosexuality has survived it must have some sort of benefit to an individual or their kin who carry similar genes.... However as someone kind of pointed out lots of traits not helpful to survive have persisted... Laziness, depression, other mental issues? I believe human genetics is probably very complex especially when you come to behavior. It's going to be a mixture of genes that influence the otherall phenotype. If you think about it, if you have something small like 20 different genes that control personality you have 2^20 potential combinations, right? We'll probably find some epigenetic cause too. There's about a million potential explanations. I'm not that well versed in genetics though or research on homosexuality.

17. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The idea of only being worthy of life and successful biologically only if you procreate offends me a lot. Humans are not just about procreation and natural selection completely dehumanizes humans, even if it is true.

18. Linux Lenny

Hi EncagedPhonix

I am so sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I am just sharing an opinion. Of course, I didn't say that being worthy of life means that the individual must be able to procreate. As Austin said and many other posters, this topic is very complicated and might not be explained based on Natural Selection only.

I am so sorry again and if this thread hurts your feeling, I will gladly request a deletion. :slight_smile:

19. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, it's not you at all, I mean I had this same thought during biology class when I was learned about natural selection for the first time. I just generally think it should be reworked and be more considerate for humans, sociable creatures with the need to do more with their lives than just eat, sleep and procreate. But that's what I think anyway :grin:

20. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lenny,

How about "continuation of species" which includes reproduction. :slight_smile:

A worker bee or worker ant has no chance of mating but ensures continuation of species.

Tom