1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you tried out a 'stereotype'?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Nickinthemiddle, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Nickinthemiddle

Hey yall, I thought I would start a thread that had the possibility of being kind of funny for late bloomers.

Some 'stereotypical' lesbian stuff I'd done before I acknowledged I was a lesbian, ie, wearing men's jeans, being a tomboy/mechanic as an adult, asymmetrical haircut (side mullet as Cameron Esposito called it, hilarious) etc.

But I never knew that there was the stereotype that lesbians love flannel. So I went to the men's section yesterday, and I tried on some flannel. I loved it! I wear either men's jeans with a chain wallet; or skintight acid washed jeans, and I've always worn 'beater' tanks since I was a teenager, so actually tossing the plaid over the 'beater' and acid wash felt comfy and looked awesome.

Then I thought how silly to actually go out of your way to 'try out' a stereotype, and I thought maybe somebody else might have a story of a good one or bad one they actively sought out after hearing it was a stereotype thinking, huh, maybe I should try it.

Have you?

2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

My opinion...

You are who you are, if you put on an affectation (stereotypical behaviour) it is simply another closet.

Many gay men are fussy about appearance, should I "put on" being fussy when I am not...

I like soft flannel, though I am not a lesbian. :slight_smile:

3. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sounds cute, but....I will never have a mullet thank you....well done short cut or long hair all the way....mullets just lazy. As for clothes..just wear what's comfortable. For me that ends up being men's clothing more often than not, bit believe me when I'm down to the size o want to be...I've no problem with drawing attention to the assets God gave me through skin tight sexy clothes.

4. CyclingFan

Maybe kinda. I dunno, I never felt that attached to any of the gay men's stereotypes growing up. (Probably worked out a little closeting...well, if that's a gay guy, then I'm not gay) Although, I do recall quite a few times that I picked out some clothes while shopping wth a women who would indicate that they read that item as gay.

I enjoy Cameron Esposito a lot, btw. Do you listen to podcasts?

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I talk with my hands/arms a lot... but that's just me. :lol:

6. Nickinthemiddle

I heard that the L Word was like the lesbian show du jour and I tried to watch it but I hated it. So that's -1 for stereotypes lol. I just meant did you hear about one and try it out not to make anybody feel bad. Like did you deliberately try it and yay I liked it or no I hated it. Sorry if the thread is not coming across the right way.

7. Whisper

Out Status:
    A few people
    Nah, I've never done anything with the thought of stereotypes.

8. offmychest

offmychest Guest

i got my ears pierced. i know this is definitely not a sterotype and other straights have ears pierced as guys but for me since i am very conservative it felt risque. sometimes when i want people to wonder if am gay or not, i put on my earrings and it actually gets me some attention. i know it is something that tons of guys that are straight have but i like the ambiguity. i have also worn more fitted clothes but that again is not a gay thing, it's just more of a metrosexual thing.

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, I always liked to wear pink shirts, even when I was in total denial. I remember one time my secretary complimented me on my pink shirt, and commented that her husband wouldn't be caught dead in pink. I just thought it was a matter of being secure in your masculinity. Now I wear pink all the time, highlighted by rainbows. But the difference is that now I need to have some way to express myself, as a closeted gay man.

10. maybgayguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I remember watching a movie as a kid a comedy called Police Academy. These movies were horrible but I remember there was a scene or two at a leather gay bar. I remember thinking wow...that is awesome I want to be there. To this day guys in leather/leather gay bars are a total turn on for me.

I really like strong/muscular/bear types for sure. So I guess that I saw a window into a gay subculture that I wanted to be a part of and I fit that type to this day...but not sure that fits with what you were asking.

11. Wildside

Wildside Guest

That reminds me about how when I was about 12 years old we would pass a federal penitentiary and I would get excited and a sense of longing because I knew that men had sex with each other in there.:icon_redf

12. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never deliberately tried to adopt a gay stereotype, but I've found myself more comfortable with them in general since I came out. And there are certainly some more sterotypical behaviors that I've found myself doing, but it's not a conscious thing--more like I've just stopped toning it down to avoid being found out. I'm more conscious about my appearance (fussy, if you want to call it that), but that's probably as much from losing 100 lbs as it is from coming out. And I have to admit that my boyfriend and I were rather gleefully bitchy watching a really bad movie last evening! But it wasn't a conscious effort (although it was pretty damn funny). What feels good isn't so much embracing the stereotypes, as not caring if I happen to fit some of them.

13. Thelyingleo

No, I never did try anything stereotypical... but can I say that I was rather conflicted with who I am or how I 'identify' because I didn't fit a stereotype? I loved working on cars when I was younger, fixing stuff, home repair, wearing mens shorts/pants, tshirts, etc. BUT, then I also wore my hair long and done up, with make up and was kinda femme... i didn't fit one or the other lol.

14. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I just remembered, I tend to cross my legs like a gay man. sometimes I do it without thinking. Other times, I realize it and do it even more. I have had people at work assume that I was gay, so I must be doing something stereotypical. (!)

15. CyclingFan

I know I kinda "tried on" a few things this year. I think just trying to get comfortable with my identity and also trying to be perceived as gay by other guys.

Part of it too has also been not restricting myself about any behavior or mannerism that I perceived as gay. Or at least attempting too.

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2015 at 09:37 AM ----------

Ohh, now let's go the other way. I've probably done or acted certain ways that were stereotypically straight. I guess that's the corallary of stifling anythibg that seems gay.

These days I'm just focusing on what I want and being comfortable in my own skin regardless, and that feels great.

I would still like some fashion help cause some days that feels hopeless. :slight_smile:

16. tscott

I guess there were certain things that might have stereotypical, but they were things that despite being thought of as gay I felt secure in. My favorite color is pink and I wear a lot of it, but that just might be, because I'm an old preppy. I love musical theatre. There are few musicals that I cannot sing most of the tunes. I cook and like all the niceties of the table: linens, silver, crystal, and china. I'm a pretty good self-taught interior decorator. I'm very much into most of the arts. I'm not the least bit mechanical.

Never worried about it. For me there is a big difference between liking things perceived as feminine and being feminine. I'm still working or the residual homophobia. But I've overcome public displays of affection, realizing my politics and attitudes have to change somewhat, and realizing and acting upon the fact I am no longer part a privileged class, I am a minority.

17. Flatulentius

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My favorite color of shirt is purple. I bought a pink shirt, but am still working up the guts to wear it in public. :icon_redf

I feel like I love musical theatre and art naturally, not because I think I am required to per the "gay agenda" (my copy must have gotten lost in the mail, anyhow). So there are some gay male stereotypes that fit me, but I didn't consciously adopt them. Although, I'd love to get my ears pierced, because it feels delightfully gender non-conforming, even though a sizable minority of guys have it done.

On the other hand, I also naturally fit the lesbian stereotypes of enjoying hardware stores and home improvement, so there is that... :icon_wink

18. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  19. Goose1

Goose1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Are you boring or is it me?

20. CyclingFan

Too funny...I got into this real rut with clothes for work, like a near uniform of khakis and a polo shirt, Oxford shoes.

When I took a new job last year, I decided to dress it up a little bit, so I got some nicer slacks and dress shirts. I loathe ties, especially for work. They just feel so constricting. Found a pair of argyle socks I liked...then it was off to the races.

Haven't quite worked up enough to wear these bad boys yet.