1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever gone back into denial?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Damien, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I bet no one says yes to that. Probably just me. But currently I'm really struggling with accepting being bisexual. I thought I had totally accepted it, for months and months last year. I mean, I wrote all these posts supportive of others' sexuality, whatever it may be, telling them that "whatever it is, it's all fine, s, l, g b or t". Well it seems that I now cannot take my own advice. I am having a hard time admitting to myself that, sometimes, maybe not often but sometimes, I feel an attraction to a guy that, were I to ever consummate it (and I often doubt I ever will get to), could result - if my fantasies are anything to go by - a sexual experience with just as much power, intensity, passion and pleasure as being with a woman. But since it's such a rare possibility, I'm kind of thinking, what's the point? It's never going to happen anyway, so it's really easier just to keep quiet about being Bi, not make myself even more unusual and even more of an oddball than I already am, and just present as an ordinary straight guy, in the outer world I mean.

The pride march is coming up. Almost all of last year I was looking forward to going. I even recently met some other Bi's, so I even have some acquaintances to go with, I would not be showing up alone. And yet, why this onrush of denial, just when things ought to be getting easier? Why is it so hard for me to accept, once again, that sometimes I might want to be with a guy I find attractive and shag the living daylights out of him? I don't mind telling all of you here, but really, it's not as easy to be open irl as it was even a month ago. I'm back in male mood too, not revealing anything more to the masses. Maybe, in the exceedingly rare event that I ever lose my 'gay virginity', I will feel free to reveal that aspect of myself again. But it's a straight world out there, and I'm fighting to get some kind of foothold in it, as an already very unusual sort of person. If I appear as straight to ordinary folks, that can only help me to actually get out of the financial hole I'm in.

I can talk till you die of boredom, maybe I just need to express how painful it is to admit I'm bisexual. I thought for the last few weeks I had 'gone back' to being straight, but 'rediscovered' a few days back, that this was a load of BS. Yes I'm Bi damn it. I see this but I inwardly resist it. I don't know why this is happening.

#1 Damien, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Did you ever take the final step; walk the talk?

Very freeing.

3. Nickinthemiddle

Yes. For me it was fear. All the fear that had kept me denial/the closet in the first place.

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Another YES. For me it was guilt and shame. I thought I could split what I did from who I am. But not any more. I am not out to everyone, but I am out to some people. And most importantly, I am out to myself and not going back.

5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I so envy those of you who have come out, even with the terrible struggles that you have to go through. Can you imagine how tough it is having not come out and planning to never do so. I hope that doesn't discourage someone else from their decision to come out, I think that you should if at all possible, even to just some people, if not to everyone. If you've followed any of my posts (not looking for sympathy here) then you know that I feel that I can't come out. The circumstances around me are such that the damage and pain I would cause if I came out are so horrible that it's far better to stay hidden in my closet....but I get to come out here on EC every day...get that again...every day!! What blessing EC has been to, and continues to be to me. Everybody has different circumstances that they must deal with. For the vast majority of LBGT peeps I think that at the right place and the right time...come out. For me, unless a miracle appears, that time and place are long past. But ever since I found EC, my "skin fits better". Those here in the Later-in-life forum, don't stop trying to make the perfect partner/life happen if that is what will work for you. I cheer you on and hope my words will encourage you! Please, Please don't take me for an example and for goodness sake don't feel sorry for me. That's not why I share my story here. I tell what has happened to me in the hope that others will avoid it. That they will not become locked in that closet, hidden forever. I try to use what has happened to me to give what little advice I can to those in the middle of disasters that look impossible to solve, in the hope that maybe something I say will help. That, it seems to me, is a huge part of what EC is, and I am so glad for it.

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I have that same feeling, quebec, that my skin fits better since coming to EC. Who knows, maybe that is part of the path to coming out to everyone! I used to pray for a miracle to stop being gay. But now I'll pray for that miracle that will allow us to come out to everyone important in our lives. Today is Saint Sebastian day, and if you have ever seen any of the art portraying him, it is pretty homoerotic. Maybe he can intercede for us?

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  8. Thelyingleo

I had a girlfriend for a short time when I was 23, it was awkward and stressful at the time, i lived in a rural farming area where it was not accepted and had seen many beaten as a result of being 'out' in public. One of my brothers really let me have it, saying that i was going to cause my children (I had 3 small children) a lot of heart ache and embarrassment growing up in that town, being known as the girls with the gay mommy. I was told soo many things that I felt like I was being a terrible mother, because I had a choice to be with a man. I put myself back into that closet and closed the door. For me, honestly, it took getting cancer in 2007 & 2009, both stage 4, and nearly dying for me to realize that I made a mistake. It has taken me this long to finally get it together and do something about my feelings of regret, my hatred of the closet, and trust that this is meant to be. I have been in remission 5 years, and last year was the year of a million changes for me, while it's been painful, I wouldn't change it for the world! I know that if/when my cancer comes back, THIS will not be a regret, I will not have unfinished business here.

9. bi2me

I thought I might be bi in high school, but let all those feeling die as I got more serious with my (now) husband. Took an epiphany this summer to come back to myself.

10. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know who I am; so does my wife. There is no "going back" to denying reality; there is no point in it either.

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is the key. When others know no going back.

12. Nickinthemiddle

Oh gosh, the thoughts have been going through my head today to just stop with this, to just go back to saying, ah I must just be bisexual and can't ever do anything with a man because of trauma, so who says I will ever have a sull sexual relationship with women because of trauma even if I am a lesbian, and since I'm this messed up, there will be such a little chance that I will find anyone who will love me in all my dysfunctional glory as my husband does, so why don't I just forget about this whole sexual identity thing, just completely quit, and stop talking about divorce, and nothing needs to change, and the kids will be in one home, and my husband won't be left alone, and I won't be left alone either after being rejected and rejected because what lesbian is going to want me with all my baggage anyways so I could probably end up in a marriage as sexless and unromantic as this one is or alone anyways.

13. maybgayguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Sorry to hear that things are so tough Roses and Damien!(*hug*)

FWIW, you have our support!

14. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't exactly say I'm in denial since I believe i truly know who I am but I suffer with a complete lack of self-acceptance and willingness to go forward. It is a mixture of shame, fear, and confusion. It's really just being in a non-ending state of limbo; I don't feel like i fit anywhere, not with my old married, heterosexual suburban crowd or with the numerous gay groups I participate in; gay married men, gay/bi dads of New York, gay men's opera club, coming out group, 2 different gay men;s psychotherapy groups etc. As a result of all of this I baked brownies tonight.

15. Thelyingleo

I had a lot of these same feelings Roses, and that is what took me a whole 5 years after cancer to finally get myself together. I realized that even though it COULD be as you said, it could ALSO be amazing! We are not the only ones with baggage, we're not the only ones stuff... and our ex's aren't the only ones capable of accepting & loving us. We have to want more for ourselves, and love ourselves enough to live our lives to the fullest.

16. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could have written all of this, including the part about thinking losing my "gay virginity" will never happen. (Except substitute women for men.)

I have conversations with my therapist that go like this:

Me: I did something really stupid and put an ad up on a dating site looking for women.
    Her: Well you have often told me you are attracted to women.
    Me: When?
    Her: Just now. You just told me you put an ad up looking for women.
    Me: But that doesn't mean I'm really really attracted to women. I've never even been with a woman, what if I'm not?

Lather, rinse, repeat.

17. CyclingFan

Flip the relevant genders around, and ive had exactly all those thoughts and fears, roses.

---------- Post added 20th Jan 2015 at 09:07 PM ----------

Hmmm...could you fax me one of those brownies?

18. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can scan and email

19. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

I can relate to your situation. Being an odd person is just making it harder, because coming out would make you more strange to others. I struggled a lot with accepting my attraction to the same sex, and once I accepted that I'm bi, I found some kind of relief.

Here's an excerpt from my very first post, hopefully it can highlight some things:

If you want, you can read my post, I asked almost the same questions as you about pretending to be someone else.
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-advice/156269-introduction-seeking-advice.html

20. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for sharing this. I wish you good health, do take care of yourself.

---------- Post added 23rd Jan 2015 at 10:26 AM ----------

I feel your distress here Roses, and you have helped me to break out of that self-absorbed shell I've been in lately, to once more remember how much others are suffering as well, not just me and my own little world. I feel a bit embarrassed actually for being such a drama queen earlier on, when others have much more thorny or intractable issues to deal with. Thank you for making me realize how simple and almost non-existent my 'problem' really is. I mean, I have no partner, my kids don't care if I'm bi or not (most of their friends at school are accepting of lgbt folks in any case, the culture is good at their schools) and really what the hell was I worried about? I like guys as well as girls, so what? I need to get over myself.

I wish you healing and happiness. I know situations can seem intractable, but sometimes we just have to bide our time, wait for the right moment. Don't give up all hope regarding this. Somehow, there will be a way for you to resolve it, in time.
    Damon. (*hug*)