1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A new Name

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by quebec, Jan 21, 2015.

1. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I made a decision this afternoon to choose to be called David here on EC. I'll still use quebec as my user name. David is not my real name, but then, I never really liked my name that much anyhow. I also though that since I'm gradually finding a new life as it were here on EC, why not have a new name too? I've always like David and so David it is from now on. I realize that this post is not about anything Earth-shattering or a disaster that happened to me today, but you know, a positive post or just a sit-down-and-talk post once in a while is what friends do. All of you out there in EC land are my friends now and it's great to just talk a little once in a while.
    I guess I do have one thing you could be thinking about. A former male student (got lots of those - students that is) who listed himself "In a relationship" on Facebook last year with another guy. He was special to me and a great kid. He has moved to England for university. On a whim that could get me in trouble I suppose, I sent him an email this morning asking how he was doing over there, congratulating him on his relationship and hoping that it would work out with him in England and his boyfriend in the states. I sure hope I haven't gone too far, both for him and myself. I didn't hint at all that I might be gay...cause you know there are straight people out there who honestly wish gay couples good luck. Anyway, I'm rambling. I hope I didn't do something stupid with the email and I'll let you know what he says, if he emails me back....I gave him the option of forgetting that I'd ever sent the email, but I hope he doesn't! Call me... David

2. MisterTinkles

Hello DAVID!!!!
    :smilewave

No, you didn't do anything wrong or bad. No harm in emailing somebody some nice thoughts.

Glad you are wanting changes for yourself. Hope all the changes you want in life work out for you!!!!

:icon_bigg

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

you got it, David!!! :thumbsup:

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello David

5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello David, nice to meet you.

6. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello David!

When I first decided to come out, I actually considered using a different nickname if I eventually had some kind of gay social life. Kind of a symbol of a new life, new name kind of thing. My first name is John, and I had the idea of introducing myself as Jay. Never quite panned out, in part because the first several people I came out to were co-workers who were gay or had close connections to the gay community, so I was already John to them anyhow. But even if it's just here on EC and nowhere else, it seems like a great way to put yourself in the mindset of starting a new chapter.