1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supportive Community...but...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by PATenor2, Jan 24, 2015.

1. PATenor2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So obviously I'm new, not only to myself by coming out, but also to this EC site. I guess I'm also not used to navigating the site. I seem to be unable to send any personal messages until I have 10posts (I have 4). I get that, but shouldn't I be able to respond to someone who posts on my wall? (I can't).

So let this be post #5! BTW, I really can't wait to talk to some of you - everyone has been amazing and supportive.

---------- Post added 24th Jan 2015 at 07:24 AM ----------

Does a reply count as a post? Let's see...

---------- Post added 24th Jan 2015 at 07:26 AM ----------

It would appear not to count.

2. bi2me

Replies to other posts should count. You can say hello to people in the welcome area too

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I posted on your wall, but didn't pay attention to your post count. Anyway, I've seen this thread, so understand that you can't reply just yet. A few more posts and you should be good to go. :slight_smile:

4. CyclingFan

I believe that replies count, but if yours is the last post in a thread, and then you post again, it usually combines your posts.

And welcome. :slight_smile:

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The rule with the 10 comments is simply so that the community can get an impression of you.
    You could look up a few other threads and make a few helpful comments.
    All categories except fun and games count, and answers count.

Just take your time, have a look around, and take part...

Its only if there are no further posts after yours, additional posts of you are added to your previous one.

(&&&)

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be exact: you can PM any of the site staff (which can be found HERE) at any time, regardless of your membership status.

Full members can send PMs to other full members, and can access the chatroom. Full membership requires a posting history of 2 weeks and 50 posts after which you can fill in an application which the staff will review. It is a pretty involved system, but it does provide an effective barrier against creepers and people with less than wholesome motives.

After only a few comments, you should be able to post on people's walls, which are public, but should allow you to get a couple of conversations going with other users.

And, of course, one can always just post on the forums and get replies from the general populace.

Also: you can't reply to your own posts without the forum software combining the post to a single one. This avoids cluttering up the forum, and also makes it impossible to inflagte your own threads artificially.

In any case, as the red banner on top says: do not, ever, post any identifying information on the public areas of the site. Doing so will result in a ban!

And with that part of mod-talk out of the way: welcome to EC! :smilewave: I do hope you'll find some friendly faces and good advice here! :icon_bigg

7. PATenor2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Filip. Friendly faces AND good advice already.

8. Basil

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Highly annoying "feature"

9. africanFlower

hi all, newbie here #nervous.

This is random but i just wanted to find out how you dealt with the confusion of figuring out your sexuality (if u were confused). I feel so unstable mentally and emotionally, trying to figure myself out. any advice any1?:icon_sad:

10. CyclingFan

Hi. For me, oh yeah confused. Especially when compared to the fact that I was married to a woman.

Time, therapy, talking to people here, openess to whatever your sexuality actually is....these things helped me

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The highly annoying "feature" is what keeps EC safe from predators and creepers. Yes, it's an inconvenience to those who are neither, but the importance of maintaining the safety of the community and keeping it a welcoming and supportive place outweighs the risks of making messaging and off-site contact available to anyone.

The security provisions, combined with the self-reporting from members of the community pretty much ensure that the creepers are either identifed and tossed quickly, or they simply give up and go away on their own.