1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is dating so difficult after coming out

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BlackCat3929, Jan 24, 2015.

1. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not that it was easy before (thought I really hadn't dated from age 20 on because I was married) but its like impossible. I had my fling, but now I'm looking to meet someone with substance I can see myself getting grey with, but its so intimidating. Phoenix is almost like polar opposites. You have some women who are easily identifiable as gay, but more often than not they're lipsticks...and I can't tell. I don't want rejection so I don't put myself out there. A friend suggested I check out the local lesbian bar but...I'm an agressive butch. I'm friendly yeah, and I'll engage with conversation but I'm too chicken to "make a move". When will this pass? Sometimes I feel I should have stayed married, at least that was a known factor. Now I'm just in my late thirties:help:, horny and lonely!

2. Really

You're an aggressive chicken? Interesting combo. :slight_smile:

Seriously, though. I think most of what ails us is all in our heads. if you're friendly and able to chat comfortably, maybe decide beforehand what "move" your comfortable with and decide you'll try it once this time, twice next time...

I imagine something as simple as throwing in a hand touch and saying, "This is fun. Want to go for X on Yday?"

I know I'm terrible on the spot so ...

3. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people

thanks.....and I meant I'm not aggressive. Typo. In fact I'm pretty laid back and easy going

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! While it might feel that meeting someone is impossible after coming out, know that it isn't. It might take a tad longer but if you put in the effort and are out there, as it were, it's possible that you will hit it off with someone. I don't think that your age matters all that much.

Are there some LGBTQ* or Lesbian social groups in your area that you could join? Have you tried Meetup?

Making oneself vulnerable and plunging into the unknown of course isn't easy and for some it takes a while before they feel ready to give it a try. Fearing rejection or not being good enough for someone can help to postpone being on the dating scene. At the same time, making yourself vulnerable, and allowing yourself to be seen, can potentially yield some surprises, wonderful and positive surprises. Of course there are no guarantees. But making yourself vulnerable, will also give you the opportunity to learn more about yourself. (*hug*)

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I would not suggest vulnerability as that is earned like respect. Rather just be "open" to possibilities and consider them.

6. Thelyingleo

I wish that I had someone to go to a club with, there is one lgbt club here, but my daughters went one weekend and said there were a ton of straight guys there just drooling and they were really grossed out. Being in eastern Washington, in a fairly small area, makes it hard. I would love to just be able to be a part of the local lesbian/bi community and make some friends, get to know people, etc... but geezz it feels impossible lol. For me, most of my struggle is that the majority of the butches that I run into in the community are half my age, closer to my childrens age!

7. sweetfemme90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello!

I have been doing some research lately and what I have discovered is that we teach men to pursue and women are to be pursued. Meaning, women are the ones to be approached, they are not the people who initiate the conversation. Obviously this does not work for lesbians because no men are involved, therefore we have to learn to initiate the conversation.

In addition to this, you have noted a very important point, who is gay? Invisibility is a common issue among the LGB population it can lead us to being single for long periods of time. Unfortunately this period does not pass and it will remain a constant struggle.

If you are a chicken like me, try online dating. It is a great way to know who is actually gay and available, also all you have to do is send the first message to someone. Rejection is simply someone not messaging you back in most cases.

Also the research I have found suggests that women are more successful at finding partners through other friends. Finding a partner is like finding a damn job in this economy. Another interesting point that was made was from the book was that lesbians often go by different dating-scripts. This means the way we date is different from heterosexuals, the most common script was the friendship script. This script goes something like this: two women become friends, spend time together-no pressure, at some point they fall in love, a relationship begins. This is a slow process but has promising results as opposed to having an immediate, exclusive relationship soon after you meet.

If you are interested in the book it is called "Lesbian and gay couples" by Ski Hunter (2011).
    Lesbian and Gay Couples: Lives, Issues, and Practice: Ski Hunter: 9781933478746: Amazon.com: Books

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I joined a gay choir about 18 months ago, there is a core group of members and there are also people who come and go.

By joining such a group, it automatically eliminates the question of who is gay, and, as the choir is composed of roughly 20 people, and each of them know a number of gay people (we meet mostly at parties that some members organize), there are several opportunities to know many more and to get known by them.

One such guy showed up in September; he and I are now dating. We both entered into this with intention and talked about taking it slow, deliberately not calling each other BFs until it feels right, etc.

So, for now, it's great spending time with him and most importantly, getting to know him...so far so good, but it could at any moment change; hence the difficulty of dating is the difficulty of getting to a point where it can become more serious, or it has to end.

So far, so good...

9. CyclingFan

I'm going to a gay mixer this Friday. This group does this once a month.

Eliminating that who is gay question seems a big one

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your honesty, because you present all sides of the situation.

I don't know how it is for women, but I'm sure the similarity is that the pool of available people, percentage wise, is smaller, as if it is for G/B guys. That's the first challenge.

As others have said, it might be helpful to put yourself in places where the women you'll run into will in fact be lesbians.

A lot of people say they want to date and be in a relationship after coming out but not all are serious about it. Some are going through the motions. I was once looking for a FWB situation. I met a couple of bi guys and a couple of gay guys through this "interview" process. It clicked with a bi guy but, after about 9 months, he found a girlfriend. He had been married before, was in the mortgage business, and had 2 daughters. If you end up with someone bi, that can happen. I didn't hold it against him. He just needed to move on and found someone for probably more than a FWB situation. He was a good guy but he was a friend ... with benefits. As for the two gay guys, the meetings were ridiculous. I've probably told about this one before, but I sat there having dinner one night with this attorney guy who looked like a younger, dirty blond haired version of Oliver North to hear him tell me about how he wanted to meet 'someone like Dylan McDermott to take back to North Carolina to meet his parents.' I thought, "Good luck." After some situations like that, I took a much more passive approach to it all ... and I'm not talking sexually.

If you act like you don't really care, that can help. It might not get you into a relationship, but it might get you into the sack. Hope that helps.

11. BlackCat3929

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you everyone. I might be making headway. I've begun getting to know a few of my coworkers better..mainly because why not be nice at work. One has the office across from mine and I've started bringing coffee every now and then just because. The other is one I've known for a bit, but when I found out she'd been out a few days in dealing with her grandmother passing last week. I sent her a breadbasket (everyone does flowers I do food) and when she came back I took her to lunch comforted her . If nothing else I'm a good listener and a shoulder to cry on. At least I got the "aw your so sweet" and a kiss on my cheek. Far from ideal but its a start.

#11 BlackCat3929, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015