1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

progress at the counselor

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by looking for me, Feb 5, 2015.

1. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so i was at the counselor the other day, and we were discussing the fact that my STBX signed the custody and acces agreement with no fuss so my son is going to live with me as his primary residence and shared custody with liberal access for her. so that's done. then we were discussing wither to come out to him now that that is done, she told me to go for it when i feel the time is right and to think of the various questions and concerns that he may have so i can have answers for him. I know he'll be pretty accepting ( i hope) and that he has most of it figured out.

so i guess my question to the group is what questions have you had? what answers were you able to give?

thanks

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on your agreement! :thumbsup:

Check out the Colage website, there is great stuff in there about coming out to the kids.

3. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks GW, i'll check it out when i get home.

4. ChrisZ

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know how old your son is...I have two, and they were 16 and 19 when I came out to them. My daughters were 20 and 22.

My oldest sons response to the news was to say nothing. He shrugged his shoulders, and when asked if he was okay, said..."I don't care dad, half my friends are gay."
    My youngest son response was to give me a hug, and ask if I was okay. Then tell me about an upcoming event at school totally unrelated to the conversation we were having.

In short, it was a non-issue for both of them. These are different times, and kids today are much more accepting. They see it more in school, and hopefully at home (depending on how you raised him).

Hope this helps,
    Chris

EDIT: My relationship with my kids is wonderful. They are all very accepting. After the superbowl this past weekend, my daughters and ex were commenting about how hot Tom Brady is ...well I finally joined into that conversation, (OMG he's gorgeous) and we all had a good laugh. So don't be surprised if you get very little back from your son...to him, it's just the new normal.

Good luck

#4 ChrisZ, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  5. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Im going to start a new thread on this subject