1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay people in romantic relationships with people of the opposite sex

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by yeehaw, Feb 5, 2015.

1. yeehaw

I have a question for folks who are gay but have had opposite sex relationships. I am woman, forty years old, and fairly recently figured out that I am gay. The only romantic relationships I've ever had were with men. I have always felt like there was some sort of weird coldness from me in relationships that didn't quite make sense. With the exception of my marriage I have never cried or been even remotely upset about a break up with a man and I always thought this was weird. I cry reading greeting cards, or watching commercials, but breaking up with a boyfriend was always easy breasy for me. Is this common amongst gay people who have only done opposite sex relationships? Also, if I ever manage to get into a romantic relationship with a woman, I'm kind of suspecting there will be SO MUCH MORE potential for pain, yes?

2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Welcome.

How does a breakup (end of friendship) go with woman?

Following where I think you are taking this... Breaking female friendships should be difficult for you.

Does that hold true?

3. OOC73

Hi :slight_smile:

Your story is very similar to mine. But this particularly rang true for me. I always kind of knew it was there but assumed it was a self-protective thing to prevent myself from getting hurt. In the past, I have got extremely distressed and almost erupted emotionally from time to time but normally feelings were never something I understood.

I've cried more and felt more since I realised I was gay than at any other point in my life. It's like a tap got turned on and now it's stuck and won't turn off again.

I've pretty much stopped the crying now, but it doesn't take much to set me off and the rest of the feels are so intense compared to how I used to be.

I am quite scared but also excited to see what the future holds. I've spent so long virtually emotionally sterile that it's almost overwhelming to realise it's not supposed to feel like that.

4. TheStormInside

I've only had one relationship, and it was with a guy. I was absolutely devastated after our breakup, but there was also a lot more going on there. We'd been friends for around 10 years, were very close, and I was also extremely worried and guilt-ridden over his mental state. Hard to say if things might have been different if it were a guy I'd only dated for several months, rather than someone I had so much history with. In terms of the relationship itself, I definitely loved him, but I never had the draw to be around him all the time, or touch him or want to be touched by him. I was happy sitting on the couch side by side watching Doctor Who. :lol:

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I even cry watching comedy movies! :tears: But to court my wife, it was all acting. It was mostly writing letters (back before email), so it was easier to write everything that seemed the right thing to say. It wasn't intentionally cold or calculating, it was just that I was trying to be who I thought I was supposed to be. Then in person, it was easier just to recite the same lines that I had written. Kind of like an actor reading a script. It sounds so cruel, but it wasn't meant to be, it was meant to just try to be the man I thought I was supposed to be. Now, I have found that I have had a really strong emotional reaction with a couple different men that I have been with. Unfortunately, I haven't been with anyone where there was a potential to develop an LTR yet, but I have had that sense of what I call a strong emotional attachment (because I don't want to acknowledge that I might fall in love with someone with whom there is no future). I have read, and I believe, that falling in love can make the coming out process more inevitable.

6. CyclingFan

I really only had two relationships with women and they were both emotionally complicated in other ways that made the breakups hard. But I can relate to that coldness that didn't quite make sense. I dunno, maybe coldness isn't quite the word, but def something that seemed different from most of the other couples I knew.

I think you're right about the pain. I have had some nonromantic (at least I as saw it then) relationships with guys that ended in an argument and they also felt very different from other guy/guy friendships as i saw it.

7. yeehaw

Aww. This is such a lovely community. Thank you for all of the thoughtful responses.

Skiff--I have a couple of intensely close friendships with women--I would be devastated to lose either. Overall I don't have a lot of experience with "breaking friendships" really--my friendships tend to be either really long term or just slowly and non-dramatically fade.

OOC73--I have some crazy "open tap" stuff going on right now. Yeesh. Intense. And also I feel more alive than I possibly ever have, which (when I don't feel like I'm drowning) feels sort of refreshing. Oh, and I too had noticed this emotional distance/"coldness" thing and thought maybe it was me protecting myself, but I also always felt like that wasn't really the whole story--but had no idea what the whole story was.

Cycling fan--I'm also not sure that coldness is exactly the word, but I'm not sure what other word to use.

Wildside--I totally get the part about sincerely trying to be who you think you are supposed to be

storm--"but I never had the draw to be around him all the time, or touch him or want to be touched by him"--yes, all of those things for me too