1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Divorced

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CyclingFan, Feb 6, 2015.

1. CyclingFan

Surprised. Had been told that there was a huge backlog of cases and that it might be up to 6 months. Just heard that it went through on the 4th.

That's a ton of bricks. Wow. Probably better this way, no build up.

2. CyclingFan

I guess it's not even a bad feeling. Just weird.

Well, I guess I can either see about getting pepped up for this mixer or stay at home and veg the eff out.

3. CyclingFan

Veg the eff out is sprinting to a commanding lead. The stormy weather isn't helping the mixer cause.

Exciting news. :wink:

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well...as long as it's not eggplant...

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations, and here's the box of tissues. My thoughts are with you. Good luck with getting on with life! (*hug*)

6. CyclingFan

7. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hope it works out for you and this will lead you to a better life. For myself, I just signed the separation agreement, which was devastating to me. Just that document sent me into a tail spin, crashing and burning for days. The phrase "irrevocably broken", describing the state of the marriage, was so sad.

8. CyclingFan

I will say that that was definitely tougher. Not that this is super fun, but easier to deal with so far. Have had a lot of time adjusting since which has helped.

9. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    im not sure if congrats are in order Cyclingfan, but as least you have a clear path forward. i got the final custody and access agreement signed off by the courts last week stating that my son lives with me. and then that night he made a positive LGBT comment and i sat him down and came out to him. just waiting on the final divorce papers now myself.

10. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Looking forward to my turn. Separation is filed, financial statements are overdue because of a job change on her part and a missing pension statement on mine, but the status meeting is March 5th and the hearing probably not long after. I've been doing my best to be kind and considerate, but yesterday while dumping a bunch of pictures from her phone to the computer, I ran across a series of text messages between her and her best friend full of nasty comments and general hurtful viciousness. I'm trying to calm down before I say anything, but it's definitely given me a new perspective on all the effort I've made to make things easier for her.

But congrats to you, CyclingFan, on your progress! (And the veg option isn't a bad one at all--sounds wonderful, actually!)

11. CyclingFan

Thanks everyone. It's still a very strange feeling as I think many of you can relate to.

So, I didn't exactly veg out. Walked a few blocks to a local haunt to have a beer and a pizza to go. Even that was a bit nutty, as it was nasty out. Hoping to just pop in.

Ended up staying a bit longer, had a long conversation with a lady who was going through her own divorce, which was actually nice. Hah, I also came out to a bartender there who I was sure I'd already come out to before. I knew she was gay. I was walking by Saturday and saw the bar was empty and she was there so we had a nice conversation about our paths on this.

Sunday did a very, very rainy running race with my ex then went for brunch and a few more cocktails.

So, good weekend? Our anniversary would have been this coming weekend so I'm a bit wary of it. Weather is supposed to be very nice so I'm planning on a long ride and hopefully hanging out with some friends.

12. tscott

I'm glad your reaction is not one of despair. Mine was one of numbness. Like I should be happy and wasn't, like a spoiled child at a birthday party. It still will have it's ups and downs.

The important thing is that now you're a free man and your life can begin to move forward in the direction you want to take it. (*hug*)

13. CyclingFan

Thanks. I guess I've already worked through my despair, I think. It's still scary, but I just don't see how it could have happened otherwise.

I can relate to the numbness, I think. It's also still an occasional feeling of, wait...what's happened?

It's also still a bit strange to be free of someone I really thought I'd never want to be free from, even though we have so much evidence that it's just the best for both of us.

That's still going to take some time I fear.

14. BeingEarnest

Dear CF-
    I wish you, and your ex-wife well as you go your separate ways, and as you step fully into the next chapter of your life.

15. CyclingFan

Thanks, BE. It's such a weird combination of better and worse and scary and exciting and happy and sad. To be both glad to know something about myself that's been an issue, to understand how much we both care for each other even though it's forced through this change. To be happy to be in each other's lives even as those have radically changed in less than a year.