1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Feel The Music

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, Feb 8, 2015.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Over the past few days I have begun to hear music, more specifically - to FEEL music;
    Not just hear it in my ears, but hear it in my heart and in my soul;
    Music has once again been touching me, emotionally, with passion;
    Music used to touch me when I was younger;
    But at some point, it just became music, a pleasant sound to listen to;
    Then, this weekend, music was on at my gym while working out, and what was on started to touch me, I felt it in a way the seemed so foreign yet so comfortable;
    It did not matter what was playing - an eclectic mix of pop, dance and rock
    I felt it
    I felt the words
    I felt the melodies
    I could actually "Hear" the music
    It was wonderful
    And I have now been hearing music in a way I had not been able to for as long as I can remember;
    It feels so good to feel music again;
    I came out to myself almost two years ago, and now I feel the music once again.
    What a journey, I have never been happier.

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

you sound highly sensitive, OTH. Can you see the colors of music when you are listening to it?

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Music usually touches my creativity and imagination.

Sadly... Way too much sad music about broken hearts, lost loves, and loneliness.

Lyrics don't matter too much if the music sparks imagination.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i-jdhorGtQI

#3 skiff, Feb 8, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  4. Horizon55

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Such a great post.

In my long journey of therapy, one of the steps to 'starting to feel' that my therapist gave me was to connect with music. It was amazingly powerful for me. I actually found myself clearing a small coffee table off one day and getting up on it dancing so I could see myself letting the emotion expressing itself in a mirror on the wall.

Letting the music in and the real feeling that followed with it was a key step in my path to begin to really 'feel' me!!.. I'm ever so grateful.

And now I bought a small bluetooth speaker for my laptop and it's just music all the time!

5. CyclingFan

What a great post. :slight_smile:

As I've accepted more about myself (and worked through the consequences of that to my identity and relationships), I've felt the music more and more myself.

6. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What a wonderful, positive post!

I always found music to be great therapy, especially if I'm moving (dancing or working out). I haven't let myself let go for a long time, I hadn't thought about it being tied up with my repressed identity, but maybe it is.

Some music can give me goosebumps, it's as if it runs right through me...there's this one part during Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, during the Choral section, that gives me the shivers.

7. Richie.

Man you sound like me all of last year in my transition I felt so much music

Listen to Sara baralelis [sp]. Brave
    Imagine Dragons. It's time and demons
    One Republic. Something I need

And forget the name. But the song is called. Make your own kind of music.

Peace.
    Richie

8. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure what it is about One Republic, but their stuff goes straight to the heart! And not sure why this is, as I never listened to her before, but Barbara Streisand seems to have found a home with me as well :slight_smile:

9. OOC73

I've noticed this happening a lot more too. Its like I just woke up and all my senses got turned on at once and are all heightened as a result.

I love it. Taylor Swift' latest album has been my soundtrack to acceptance - Im almost in those songs sometimes.

10. CyclingFan

I enjoyed her latest much more than I expected. I loathe modern "country" music, so I'd not thought she was for me.

Shake it off. :slight_smile:

11. Richie.

Likewise. Love them both (!)

12. Imjustjulien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How wonderful...the experience of coming out to yourself, I feel that...like music, it brings such a smile inside and out..

:kiss:(!):eusa_danc

13. Bluenote

I agree! Feeling like the lyrics are all talking to me directly. I'm feeling like I'm awakening to the world in this new way - and I'm opening my eyes and ears to so many new thoughts and voices.

14. JackieScut

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes to all of this. Since I admitted to myself I am a lesbian and then a bit later coming out to a close friend I have noticed a lot has changed in the way I feel and think. It's like a more caring, compassionate, deeper feeling and thinking person is emerging from within me. MUSIC is a major thing for me. I have always liked pop music, disco... anything fast, I still do. But I am finding now I am listening to slower, deeper music. Actually listening to the words and feeling and understanding them more than I ever have before. Some even make my eyes damp! I never used to listen to the slow stuff.

I have some very high and some very low moments. Music helps with the lows... it seems to take me somewhere else for a while. I tend to sing along to all the slow and deep stuff while I'm on a high and when I'm feeling down I stick some fast paced music on, up as loud as it goes and jump on the exercise bike and have a mad half hour!

15. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have always enjoyed music but this past year it feels like I have both rediscovered it and experienced it anew. It has become such a fresh, raw, immediate sensation listening to it, singing along to it or moving to it - it is an outlet for all the emotions I have been experiencing - both very high and very low ones. I have listened to all sorts of music - classical, rap and even pretty cheesy love ballads (that I would normally hate). All have their place - from Puccini's O mio babbino caro to Angel Haze's April's Fool! Currently loving a lot of the songs of Joan Armatrading, who'd never been on my radar before... can't believe that I've never heard her song Dry Land on the radio or anywhere...It's such a beauty. In fact I have resolved to join my local LGBT choir as soon as they take new members in May.

16. Soundofmusic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love this!!!