1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

not ready

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by carmena, Feb 16, 2015.

1. carmena

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    There have been too many family events where i havent felt comfortable with me, my skin, my insides, my intuition, my heart. So badly I want to impress, make sure they like me for who they want me to be. Shame and embarrassment overwhelms when my anxiety takes over, I have to leave, , I don't belong, and these are the people I should theoretically be the most comfortable with. I'm not ready for this, I missed the last few events so I don't embarrass myself again. How do I cope? How do I get comfortable enough in my own skin? I'm not ready.:confused:

2. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, back in my 20's I think that one of my reasons for marrying was to be able to feel more comfortable in family settings because at that time I avoided a lot; I skipped a lot of weddings; I didn't do weddings. Carmena, it sound like a painful time for you and all too familiar situations to be in; one way to cope is to find a good support group, people who accept you for who you are and don't expect you to be who they want you to be. Good luck and welcome.

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

This movie is pretty good, it deals totally with "not ready";

"Role/Play" 2010

It is out there on the internet. I viewed it on Hulu

4. PrairieRachel

Hi neighbor! I totally get it. Been there for it seems forever. Lol..just finally learned to be me even if it is to me alone and be able to enjoy me! No more needing to impress. Just me!

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

well, I don't know that we're all supposed to feel most comfortable with our family members. maybe in some 50's sitcom. in reality, we don't get to pick our family members, so we are often thrown by biology into association with people with whom we have little in common besides DNA, and with whom we might never freely choose to associate. Just being able to tolerate them is a big thing, but even that isn't always there. But as adults we get to choose who we hang with. and even if family tries to guilt us into being with them on every tiny little occasion, we have the power to let that affect us or not. Finding people with whom we are really comfortable and happy can make all the difference in our lives. If you think that it is hard for you as a straight woman, imagine what it is for us who are not straight. but ultimately, i guess it's the same thing. we have choices. choose wisely! (&&&)