1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So... I told my wife.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by rdbrook23, Feb 19, 2015.

1. rdbrook23

rdbrook23 Guest

Hey everyone,

So last night my wife was kinda coming on to me and I tried to play it off like I was tired. She got mad and asked what was wrong with me. I just broke down and told her. I told her my interest in women is gone. I told her that I do still love her and do still have some romantic feelings for her, but sexually i feel nothing. She got pretty upset. I had already told her a few weeks back I thought i was atleast bi. Her reaction last night was focused on that. She didnt want to believe I wasnt straight. She insisted I was just Bi, and thinking about it to much. She asked if I wanted to go be with a man. I told her it wasnt that easy, and tried to explain I am still figuring this all out. She got mad and went to bed. I think she is mad bc she has really always kind of known but now it is true. I never really came out and said I was gay, but I think I made it pretty clear I was headed in that direction. Sure hope I can get through this without too much pain and suffering for either of us. :help:

2. CyclingFan

(*hug*)

Are you working with a therapist or counselor? Might be a good idea for you both singly and with her.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, have one of these: (*hug*), second, although it is sad, remind yourself frequently that what you told her needed to be said and that, ultimately, it is a step toward eventual happiness for both of you. You are absolutely right, many spouses of gay men and women often suspect: this is also a form of mutual denial, a kind of arrangement that many marriages live under.

There will be pain, unfortunately, this is unavoidable, but you can mitigate that pain by seeking couple's counseling, not to save the marriage necessarily but to end it (if this is what you choose) with the least amount of pain and hurt. There are ways to do this that can help you both avoid the turmoil and acrimony that accompanies these splits.

I wish you the best of luck, and remember that we are here to support you as best we can.

4. rdbrook23

rdbrook23 Guest

Hey guys,

No, we are not currently seeking counsel. We have a few times in the past for other issues, but it really never seems to get us anywhere. I think we will be okay tho. This isnt coming as a huge shock to either of us. We talked a while ago about me being Bi, and now this will just be a full version of that same talk. In some ways I am thankful for this, Our marriage has always been rocky and this is something we cant blame the other for. I honelty think we will be okay and come out of this as friends who still want to keep in contact and raise our son. Atleast I HOPE. Here is to Hoping!

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By all means, maintain hope, but be wary nevertheless! Divorce has a way of changing people, and sometimes for the worse! Protect your interests, but most importantly in the interest of your child. Seek mediation, a third party around tends to make everyone behave.

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm glad it didn't blow up completely. I truly hope you two can stay friends. Women want to be desired, so maybe her feelings are just hurt. It's a good thing you told her bits at a time, though, instead of telling her all at once. Good luck, and keep us updated on new things! :slight_smile:

7. maybgayguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Congrats rdbrook! That was a very courageous thing to do. I can imagine things will be rough sledding for awhile but you are on the right path for sure. I hope it works smoothly for you.

8. comingout1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats RdBrook and good for you! I told my wife just about 3 weeks ago. I am 48 years old - I was not strong enough or ready when I was your age to face this.

I give you a ton of credit for doing this now. I can tell you one thing for me the urges have only increased over the years the more I tried to bury them. Eventually the pressure builds, you act on the urges and then feel great (while acting out) and then horrible for acting on the urges. It is not a fun cycle.

I truly understand now - that I was born this way and it is ok and it is not something that we "choose" nor is it something we can change. Took a long time for me to get there, but I am happy I am honest with my wife - it has been tough on her - on one hand not totally surprised but on the other saying it makes it real. I also have kids on the young side and it increases the complexity of the situation.

I wish you all the best with this. Don't back down - be who you were meant to be.

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations, RDBrook. You'll need to update your out status on your profile, now that you have been honest with your wife. You show that you are questioning, and it sounds like you are still trying to figure it all out. but it does sound like you have figured out that you're not straight. and if you really can't perform with your wife, you might really be gay. but that is something that only you can figure out.
    getting a cousellor or therapist for yourself can be a great help. you may find yoiurself on an emotional roller coaster, and it is good to have someone who can help you though this. between trying to figure out your own sexuality, mourning the loss of the relationship with your wife, and going through a divorce, you have a lot on your plate. take good care of yourself, physically, mentally, psychologically and spiritually as you go through this most difficult time. (*hug*)

10. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi rdbrook.
    The first person I came out to was my wife. We are still together eight years later and intend to stay together, but that is just my unique solution to my unique situation.
    One of the best things I did was to start attending a support group for gay married men.
    Most of the guys in the group are going through the divorce/ separation process. None of our stories are exactly the same but all of us see major similarities in each others lives.
    What you are going through is really tough, as one person described it "it's an emotional slow motion car crash". So be kind to yourself.
    If you can find a support group for gay married men near you, you would find it helpful.
    (&&&)

11. Ivy Saint

Ivy Saint Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

See! this is why lots of women are hesitant to date bisexual men.I know I am.But good luck on your journey,though

12. Wildside

Wildside Guest

weeeelllll.... it's not just "bi" men who figure out that they're gay. A lot of "straight" guys figure out that they're gay too. I speak from personal experience. And "straight" women who figure out that they're lesbians -- happened to my cousin. We don't do this on purpose, to trick our mates. And if the spouse who is really straight is too paranoid about this, the gay spouse might have a lot harder time getting honest about it. I think the greater risk is getting married at an early age, before people have really sorted out their sexuality. That was the situation for both me and my cousin. A puritanical upbringing can exacerbate this problem. But I guess the only way to really avoid the risk of dating a man who subsequently turns out to be gay is to just not date men. Life is so filled with risks!

13. Ivy Saint

Ivy Saint Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

Those men were never straight to begin with. They were always GAY, but in the closet, and their true sexual attractions were lying dormant.

And your last sentence is dead on.

14. tscott

Hi - Just wanted to say from this point on honesty has to be a primary concern in order to establish trust. Do seek mediation rather than divorce. Lawyers are combative, if after mediation has broken down and you need to protect yourself then bring in the attorneys. Otherwise, they are expensive and do not foster good relationships. My ex-brother-in-law paid $500 to keep a $25 item, because of billing hours.

I just came out a year ago this past January. It is a bumpy ride, but it is best for the two of you. Though everyone's story plays out a bit differently, we've all been through it. Welcome to the club.

15. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

as a Bi person, i find this offensive. it is narrow in its scope and derogatory. i was with my STBX for over 20 years, i loved my wife and our marriage ended for other reasons, to make statments like this to justify a personal discriminatory practice/preference on your part is, frankly and completely, offensive.

16. Ivy Saint

Ivy Saint Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

And you have every right to feel that way.And there is nothing wrong with having a dating preference. Stop shaming people into thinking that is.

And what I said was not meant to be offensive. Many women think like that.

#16 Ivy Saint, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  17. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I agree 100% with that statement! I was never straight to begin with. It wasn't even dormant, I was just in total denial. So if a straight person wants to avoid dating or marrying a gay or bi person, how can they do it? I've read a lot by Bonnie Kaye and the Straight Spouse Network, and it seems like some women divorce one gay man, only to marry another closeted gay man. But if we are in such deep denial, how is a potential mate supposed to know. After all, we get so good at fooling people and wearing masks that we fool ourselves. :confused2:
    (p.s., if you're "straight but curious," might you be bi? and if you're bi, might you REALLY be a lesbian? just curious! :wink:)

#17 Wildside, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  18. Ivy Saint

Ivy Saint Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious

Honey, a man cannot go from straight to gay over night. It does not happen like that.If you as a man had always thought about having sex with a man then you are gay. If an alleged straight man lays down with another man,even ONCE he is gay, and was always like that.

Maybe those women need better gut intuition,leave that person alone.

And another if you know for a fact that you are going flip flop on a woman, why not be single?

Also, even though I am curious I am predominantly STRAIGHT! I love men, and I see myself settling down with a man.And I am praying to GOD he will be a good man.

#18 Ivy Saint, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  19. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not going from straight to gay in over night. Sometimes we have personal revelations and become finally aware of some aspect of ourselves that was hidden due to denial or avoidance. The gayness was there but under cover. Some men can pose as straight, as I did, were able to perform sexually, as I did, but not with great pleasure or engagement. And, I was always thinking about men sexually. I guess to some I turned from straight to gay over night but not really.

Anyway, rdbrook, good luck to you. It is good you are coming to this realization at a young age (young from my vantage point). It will be better for both of you. After 25 years of marriage, it is hard for both myself and my wife to start anew.

20. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Hmmmm, you make some interesting points here Saint. Following you're own logic, if you are thinking about sex with a woman, then you are a lesbian. I'm not sure that I agree with that, but it certainly got me thinking. Ultimately, I respect whatever label you choose to use for yourself. I will say that I wish someone had told me a long time ago what you just said. There are so many of us gay guys that get married because we're still in denial, and our wives think that they are married to a straight man. You just never really know what you're getting when you get married, I guess. There's a book that came out a while ago, "On The Down Low," that dealt with that subject. It got featured on Oprah, and created quite a stir when women realized that such a thing was going on, married "straight" men who were having sex with men, often unprotected, and then coming home and having sex with their wives. My cousin found out his wife was lesbian when he came home and found his wife in bed with another woman. She might never have told him if she hadn't been caught. But they say that it's easier to get caught then to come out, don't they? Thanks for some thought provoking comments! :thumbsup: