1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I guess Im finally OLD!!! Sheesh

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MisterTinkles, Feb 27, 2015.

1. MisterTinkles

Well, I went to do some laundry tonight in my apartment complex. I went to the laundry room and there was two guys in there smoking pot. Which I find offensive, mainly the smell and the actual smoke.

I apparently pulled out an "old man card", cause the next thing I know, I hear myself saying "I think y'all should go somewhere else and do that".

They said "Yes sir" and left.

GAWD I'm OLD!!!!!

:tantrum::eek::sleep:

2. shota

shota Guest

awww come on maybe they just respect you

3. FreedMan

FreedMan Guest

Seems like a way to improve doing the laundry, but then that's just me (he says blowing the smoke away from the clean clothes so they don't smell all reefery)

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Would you have said it if they had beer in their hands?

Good news though!

You are aware of this behaviour in yourself and can modify it if you wish.

Lets turn it around... You walk into the laundry room holding your bf's hand and two people already there ask you to take that hand holding somewhere else as they do not approve...

How would you feel? Based on that how did the pot smokers respond to you?

Empathy is key. Seeing beyond yourself is key.

I tell folks I am 20 with 36 years of experience. :slight_smile:

#4 skiff, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew I was old when I finally resisted the temptation to jump into a puddle and splash around with my rubber boots on after it rained...but I'll still kick a chunk of hardened snow down a city block...redemption! :grin:

6. Sturtevant

Sturtevant Guest

I agree with Brother, improve laundry time. Ask for a toke!

7. Joelouis

Nah, you're right to have a say on the stench. I can't stand the smell of it either, in fact I'd rather smell a bowl of vomit than cannabis.

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Funny...

When I was in high school in the 70's pot smelled sweet like incense. Now that they hybridized it it does smell pungent.

Live and let live. May as well ask the guy stinking up the public washroom to improve his diet. :icon_bigg:icon_redf

Tom

9. GrumpyOldLady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apparently you're just not old enough ... those of us of a certain age are obviously more likely to join in.

It's always a shock to get "sirred" or "ma'amed", though.

10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I agree... "Sir" is something I am not fond of.

Mam... In high school I was a grocery clerk. Any woman, regardless of age, if you wanted to offend them "Mam" was the only polite swear word. :roflmao:

11. MisterTinkles

FYI

I do not condone pot smoking in the least. I think it should be a crime. My sister was a pot head and all of her friends were as well. I have seen first hand all the bad things that can go wrong and happen because of someone toting this mind and emotional altering drug.

My sister is 5 years younger than me, and she looks like she's 50 years OLDER than me from all of her pot smoking in her life. She looks like one of those dogs that is all wrinkles. Her memory was pretty much gone after her first two years of toting. She scares the holy shit out of me, having to get in the same vehicle with her......"What stop sign"? "What red light"? "What semi-truck"? "What police car"??

And besides, it smells like burning garbage to me, you might as well stick your head in a fire at the city dump. I am allergic to cigarette smoke as well.

And yes, I would say the same for anybody drinking beer there.
    It is a LAUNDRY room, not a pot den, not a bar. You do your laundry there, not drugs and alcohol.

And that is coming from me at any age.

#11 MisterTinkles, Feb 28, 2015
  12. Sturtevant

Sturtevant Guest

MisterSparkles, I think that is more likely due to other activities. Tobacco and alcohol will do that not pot. Pot is so benign,

13. shota

shota Guest

i agree with what Sturtevant said tobacco and alcohol is much worst then pot

14. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Personally.. I would have ler it go.

And hope they were as tolerant of me being gay if it offended them.

15. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I'll know I'm getting old when I finally figure out what I want to do when I grow up :roflmao:

16. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today's my 20th birthday, now I'm halfway to 40! :eek:

I see age as an accomplishment though, not something to be ashamed of. Be proud you've lived as long as you have, as we're living longer and longer!

#16 AwesomGaytheist, Feb 28, 2015
  17. Wildside

Wildside Guest

there are some old 20-year-olds, and there are some young 80-year-olds!

18. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Regarding the pot smokers in the laundry room - I don't think it's being an "old man" to expect people to be considerate in a public place. Regardless of whether it's cigarettes, pot or just a really nasty bean burrito making itself felt, it's just common courtesy to avoid stinking up a room that other people will be in. I think it's silly for people to expect everyone else to suck it up because they have no ability to think about anyone but themselves. If that's being an "old man", then I'm off to the store for Polident and Depends. I'm gay because I was born that way. No one is born rude and self-centered.

19. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hmmm, people having calling me sir since I was a teen, haha.

20. Aldrick

:lol:

I always find it funny when people get upset about being called Sir or Ma'am. I was born and raised with southern manners. It is impolite to refer to someone in a position of authority or respect by calling them by their first name, as if you are familiar with them. It is similar how you would refer to a teacher as "Mr. <Last Name>" or "Ms. <Last Name>."

I often refer to people as sir and ma'am. "Thank you, Sir." "You are most generous, Sir." "I thank you for your compliment, Sir." "Yes, Ma'am, I agree with you." "Excuse me, Ma'am?" "Yes Ma'am, I understand completely."

It is somewhat insulting to me when people do not refer to me with similar respect. For example, if I am in a professional relationship with someone, I like for them to refer to me as "Sir" or "Mr. <Last Name>." It is insulting for them to pretend like we are on familiar terms, as if we were buddies or friends by using my name.

This has been especially hard for me, since I look younger than I really am, and looking younger means that I get treated with less respect. For years I tried to grow out my patchy facial hair, in an attempt to look older, just so I could avoid this level of dismissal. Then I realized how horrible it looked and shaved it off. :icon_razz