1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Were your first same sex experiences casual or as part of relationships?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CuriousLiaison, Mar 3, 2015.

?

Were your first same sex experiences anonymous and casual or within relationships?

1. Male - casual

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. Male - part of being in a relationship

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Female - casual

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. Female - part of being in a relationship

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  5. It's complicated / Other

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wanted to ask this. I've never been in a relationship, and at first I thought it would be sensible to go out to nightclubs to get some experiences before dealing with the separate issue of having boyfriends.

I kissed a guy and really enjoyed it, though for complicated reasons didn't go home with him. I then tried again the following week and had a less positive experience in that I kissed a guy and the whole thing felt very cheap and tawdry. Amongst other things, I turned down his very romantic suggestion of going to have sex in a toilet cubicle. This somewhat made me question the wisdom of trying to get early relationship experience in a fairly anonymous environment, so I thought I'd ask what others had done.

Thanks.

2. Coffee Guy

Coffee Guy Guest

My same sex experiences have always been casual. Had sex several times with my first, but we were never in a relationship.

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Relationships.

Always friends first.

4. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My only sexual experiences have been with my boyfriend. We were each other's first partner.
    I don't think you should worry about 'having experience' (sexually) before going into a relationship. If the relationship is at all meaningful, nobody is going to be broken up with for the amount of sexual experience they have.

If you like the idea of casual sex, and not necessarily sex in a relationship, I think that's a perfectly fine reason to hook up with some guys.

I definitely think that having sex with someone you love/trust is better than it would be with a stranger. Partners are more understanding and patient than a random stranger looking to get off.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like what TJ had to say regarding sex.

My first relationship was with my friend with benefits. It was part experimenting until high school. Then in high school, deep down, I wanted more than that. However, I was still bound by guilt. Do I beat myself up for that relationship? Yes, but I was a horny teenager. He turned out to be a flake. I am just glad that despite him not using a condom when he came on my lower back and a condom breaking once while he was inside me, that I didn't pay with an STD. I am truly blessed.

6. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I thought we were in a relationship and he apparently didn't. I gave a blow job to my best friend at around age 19 when we were totally wasted.

7. AKTodd

Extremely casual -

First time (and first guy) was in a toilet cubicle in a locker room in college. We messed around several times over a period of some weeks, including once at my apt. Never asked his name and he never asked mine.

Second guy was from a phone number in a toilet stall in a bathroom in college (for a good time call...). I called. I had a good time. We got together a couple times - after the second, I decided I was gay and he was the first person I came out to.

From that point, I met guys in various ways, some via personal ads (since apps didn't exist yet), some in the course of living my life. Some were friends first, some weren't. Some were just hookups, some were multi-year committed relationships. The current relationship has been going over 18yrs and included getting married last December.

Todd

8. tscott

Casual, but with a buddy I knew for 4 years.

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Very casual. But I think that was also a part of / result of being in the closet and totally in denial. If I were in a healthier place, if I accepted the fact that I'm gay as I do today, I might have done it differently. No way to no for sure, but I would hope that knowing that I am gay, I would pursue a relationship first. But then again, flaming wild crazy anonymous or casual sex is an awfully powerful, intoxicating experience, so who knows? All I can really say is that you should do what feels right for you!

10. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone who has replied. Sorry it took me a few days to get back here, and sorry if I came across as somewhat dismissive of casual relationships in the opening post.

I think that for a few days after my incident with the second guy I mentioned, I just had a fairly low opinion of myself. Basically within seconds of us kissing he dragged me by the wrist to an alcove, and things probably went a bit further than they should have. Also, the guy always maintained a weirdly matter-of-fact tone of voice whenever he spoke (including when suggesting getting a cubicle), which just left me with some negative feelings about the encounter.

There definitely were good reasons why I wanted to try starting with casual relationships. Until I actually kissed a guy I was worried that my mind might in the moment just shut me down and tell me that that wasn't going to happen. If that was going to happen, I'd rather the other person was someone I'd been dancing with for a few minutes than someone who had put in the effort to go on a full blown date. Part of what I was most pleased about the week before when I was with the first guy was that I don't remember thinking about what I was going to do before I did it.

And just to fill things in, the reason why I didn't go home with the first guy was that I was either cruelly abandoned or I just lost him. We spent quite a long time together and I thought we had agreed to leave. He said something I didn't hear and went off to do something. I assumed say goodbye to people or go to the loo. After waiting a couple of minutes I went to get my jacket. Didn't see him when I got back so thought maybe he was waiting outside. Went out, didn't see him. Tried calling a few times (he had volunteered his name and number inside) but it just went to answerphone, and I couldn't get back inside. Eventually, to my shame, I realised I wasn't sure I'd still recognise him... so I left. The fact he'd given me his number (and also my need for self esteem) makes me hope we just got lost and he couldn't find me either, but who knows.

I asked the question here because I thought it might be harder for the later in life crew to find a same sex partner without doing the casual thing first, than it would for people who were a bit younger, but maybe I'm wrong. Thanks again for your answers. I most likely will stick to trying to do things the same way as before. At least I now have a clearer idea of what I'm likely to be comfortable with.

Oh and congratulations AKTodd on your marriage!

11. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Of course, it's easier at any age to find the casual thing. there's always somebody looking for instant sex. but I think that it's more a matter of circumstances and of choice than it is of age. Relationships are always an option. But if circumstances don't allow for a relationship in life, than casual becomes the option. Or, if someone just gets a jolt from casual sex, that's always going to be a go-to option; regardless of age. enjoy life, whether it be casual or committed! (!)

12. Oh Lilac

We were friends first, but fell in love.