1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ban politics threads in this sub forum?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by CyclingFan, Mar 12, 2015.

1. CyclingFan

I don't think they're particularly helpful to the mission of this sub forum.

And if there's one thing that's in ready supply on the Internet, it's forums for political ragegasms.

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    excellent point CF.

3. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While we're at it, can we ban religion threads too?

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i am on some other forums where politics and religion are kept in a seperate sub-forum and in some you have to ask permission to access them.

just a suggestion

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No and no. People can scroll down the page if they are disinterested. I am not trying to be rude, but it's a simple fix.

6. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We haven't got any policies in place to ban discussions about religion or politics from EC. They can be controversial topics, but we like to give the opportunity for members to engage in a mature discussion. Admittedly, sometimes things do get too heated which is why the staff keep a close eye on them.

As regards purely political and religious threads on this particular subforum (Later In Life), I agree that "Later In Life" should really be reserved for support issues. I think that Chit-Chat or Current Events might be a more appropriate place for some of the topics that you mentioned.

7. tscott

I can see banning politics from this sub-forum as it would not be specific to the discourse here.

I would, however, be hesitant to ban our discussion of religion as for many of us it has been both an agent in the process for keeping many of us closeted and for some freeing us from that self-same closet. Regardless of one's stand on religion, I believe our conversation is benefited by it. We simply need to be sensitive to faiths and beliefs that are not our own.

8. Aldrick

I agree with this entirely.

Politics in general belongs in either Chit Chat or Current Events. Religion can hold a lot of relevance to the topics discussed here, though there are also obvious limits where it is more appropriate to have certain religious discussions in Chit Chat.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whether we like it or not, religion is a relevant factor in discussions about LGBT issues.

We welcome reasoned and respectful debate on the matter, and when there are disagreements on matters of opinion, such as religion and politics, I would like people to resist the temptation to take it personally. When all the arguments for and against have been expressed, and an impasse remains, the principle of agreeing to disagree is paramount and should be used more often.

What I would really like to see are opinions that evolve, on both sides, as a result of the dialectic. A good conversation is one in which both parties are changed in some way, and deeper understanding (and respect) is acquired on both sides.

10. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think we need to look at the front page of EC and read what it says at the top: A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender people coming out.

If you're a closeted gay person who is committed to your faith AND is hoping to maintain some kind of connection with it when you come out, would you feel like you were in a "safe place" if you read some of the thoughts that show up pretty regularly in basically any thread here that touches on religion? Or would you feel like coming out of the closet might hold a double risk, of possible rejection from your faith for being gay, AND rejection from other gays for your beliefs, and wonder why you should even bother?

If you're a closeted gay person whose political beliefs are right of center, and you've arrived at them through your own thought and discernment, would you feel like you were in a "safe place" when you read threads that state that "no gay person" should support the people you do?

It's hard to not take things personally when I see terms like Nazis and lynching get casually tossed out on threads, and I'm well beyond worrying about what will happen when I come out. If I was still deciding, what to do, I can't say that I would feel very comforted or welcomed by statements like that. If we can't remember what and who we're here for, then perhaps the subjects do belong on another forum.

11. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well said. There are gay atheists on here who continually mock us for being gay and christian on this forum and most of the time I ignore it but it does hurt honestly. We should make all feel welcome here despite their beliefs.

12. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Dano218, I am an agnostic/atheist and I have the utmost respect for people, who lead religious lives. As a matter of fact, I sometimes feel like my words are being thrown away simply because they come from someone, who is not religious.

So, now what?

p.s. I should add that I am against banning threads on religion or politics in this sub forum or on this site as long as they are connected to LGBT matters.

#12 pinkpanther, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've said this to the staff and I'll say it here: in talking to a lot of forum moderators at various fora, and in my own experience, 80% of the moderation issues on a given forum come from the religion and politics threads.

That said, Greatwhale and Choirboy make really good points, and EC's existing Code of Conduct has actually been written, among other things, to specifically address these issues. (There's also a sticky thread I wrote on the topic sometime back.)

I seriously doubt that anybody has ever convinced anybody else to change their opinion by belittling, disrespecting, or attacking their views. And our Code of Conduct specifically prohibits that sort of behavior. So any time you see a post in a thread on religion that does that, report it. We are very proactive about addressing those sorts of issues, and we can and do warn people who violate our policy. We've also, for people who simply can't control themselves, issued bans.

One of the things that I think is difficult for many atheist gay people to understand is the comfort and security that faith holds for those who have strong beliefs. And, by the same token, deeply religious people have a difficult time understanding that some atheist people take comfort in the security that there's nothing beyond what can be definitively proven by science.

The intersection of these two places is vulnerability. When we can be open to the idea that none of us have all the answers, or the absolutes... we actually open up to a lot of common dialogs, not just about religion and politics, but about many things. But that's scary territory for many people, and there's some pretty solid evidence that there are certain brain types that have more difficulty with it than others, so there's some evidence for hard wiring.

In short... the staff has previously discussed creating a separate forum for political/religious discussions and in the past we've been pretty strongly against it. There might be some value in focusing discussions in one specific area of EC (such as current events or chit-chat, as Spartan and Aldrick have suggested) but without creating a specific subforum, and that's something the staff may consider.

In the meantime... it is a priority for the staff that no one feel attacked or belittled or disrespected because of their beliefs. Discussions of Nazis have absolutely no place here in this context, and anything remotely similar that should immediately be reported. You can also always open an Ask the Staff thread to discuss any concerns, or PM any of the staff. Particularly as the community has grown, the staff now relies pretty heavily on the community members to report issues they see, so that we can address them, so it's never a bother to report something.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...I should have added that when disagreeing, one needs to avoid making it personal to begin with. This is achieved when the condition of respect is itself respected.

15. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    of course not all of atheists on here are like that. Sorry if you took offense. I just mean some are like that and it does hurt to hear some of the comments made. I don't think they as long as they are respectful and mature that those threads should be banned. I just mean in general posts made to mock others for their beliefs should be banned. It is not helpful to any discussion.

16. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand you. No harm done. When it comes to lgbt problems I often feel as if both sides are trying to completely disprove each other, when in fact something half-way will work even better. Anyway, as long as people are civil there's not need for bans.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I may say, it seems like the religious threads down here are treated a lot better than in chit-chat. Not sure why. It seems like(on average) Christians and other people of faith are left alone down here or at least respectfully agreed with here.

18. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That should not be the case; things should be consistent throughout the forums. My guess is that fewer people (and perhaps older ones, mostly) are posting here.

This reinforces the importance of reporting any instance of inappropriate behavior any time you see it, whether it involves you or not. That will help us address this sort of issue... it's usually a small handful of people who repeatedly don't get the memo, and with a bit of encouragement, usually they do. :slight_smile:

19. JackBikwik

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Banning whole swaths of discussion rarely goes well. It's outright censorship. So long as people aren't being intentionally inflammatory or intolerant, they are allowed to have whatever opinions/affiliations they want. Politics and religion are very deeply entwined with LGBT issues and omitting them from a support forum would be laughably inconsiderate.

20. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't following the Republicans thread so I don't know what it was like.

There were times on the Religion thread where I felt a bit guilty that we were moving beyond a support topic, but I was conscious that if we went too far beyond that, there were penalties available to the mods (though I don't think that many of us needed that as an incentive to be civil).

Part of the problem with banning topics is that most of the threads on the support pages (including the religion one) are started by people who haven't been here long, and they are probably the most important people to be allowed to say what they need.

I think that if the religion thread had dragged on much further there might have been reason to worry that it was crowding out more on-topic support threads.

I think that a warning from the mods where necessary should suffice to keep us in check most of the time.