1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help wanted please. Confusion with online dating...Need input and new strategy thanks

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by marieblue, Mar 16, 2015.

1. marieblue

So I came out as questioning to several friends and all have been supportive which recently led me to try to do something about it and get into gay online dating. Met another girl online recently who was in the same place with regards to questioning we hit it off, booked a date for a month later I felt butterflies and it felt so natural. We talked about kissing and fooling around and eventually being exclusive if our first couple dates worked out. It just flowed. I felt like a little school girl. We had pet names. Texted everyday (I barely text anyone so it says a lot). Spoke on the phone.

Call it infatuation or u-hauling but we were cute.

Needless to say eventually talking about her life style, I found out she was still dealing with more internalized homophobia than I thought. Let's just say it she didn't have healthy coping mechanisms. For the first time in my life it felt like I was looking in a mirror and I realized how self-destructive I had been years prior. I talked to her about it, saying I wanted us to be both healthy for ourselves so we can be the best for each other. Maybe it was patronizing but I just couldn't deal with seeing her hurting herself, like I had years prior over guilt and be an enabler.

Needless to say we never made it to the date, as she just sent me a messaged saying she thought we were in different places. I was crushed. I don't know if I was just scared of falling in love with boys but the kind of emotional intimacy I had with that girl even in that short time just never happened with my guy exes. Mind you I had been questioning for a while and a big secret can break relationships fast.

I used to also have this thing when I was younger when I'd get scared I found particular females attractive in situations, causing me to throw myself onto guys and flirt double time. Other times I'm just naturally a big flirt and start to think maybe I disclosed guys too quick, think I might be into said guys, feel lusty. However I always seem to think it will crash and burn quick like it has previously. Flirting is fun and its nice to be desired you know? I don’t know if that’s real attraction to guys or not.

I can fantasize about guys physically but its more fleeting than fantasies about girls. The weird thing is that when I do fantasize about guys, even if only for a split second it can be more intense than about women. It's weird I don't know how to describe it. Maybe I don't have enough imagination with women. The problem is that whenever I'm intimate with guys in real life I feel so vulnerable it crosses on feeling violated. It's like dang... you're hard... great *sarcasm* we’re actually doing this? Robotic. I did care for these men. Sorry for being crude but maybe I go through the motions with guys too quickly?

I can honestly say women had always been the ones to hold my little heart and break it harder/quicker than any man, even though I've never actually had a f/f relationship. I just get so infatuated, want to take random women out for coffee dates, think their amazingly pretty, and just want to be all romantic, like puppy love. Maybe I’m actually confusing a need for female friendships? Anyway I never really had that with guys I dated it always felt very FWB at most, not quite romantic, more platonic.

I just don't know about the physical aspect with girls. I've wanted to kiss a lot of girls, hold them, cuddle, the whole shebang, I don't know about the rest. Sure I fantasize about being physical but maybe I'm just forcing myself? It's not super intense but it's like I think if I would be with a woman, it'd be more like making love than just having sex because of my intense emotional attraction if anything. I wouldn't mind making a life with a girl either if I was sure about the physical stuff. I would have never admitted that had you asked me years ago so maybe that's a start?

All I know is that I feel like a horrible person and don't ever want to feel bad about possibly being gay ever again. I don't even know what 'side' to try and date. I need a new strategy. I don't want to get with a guy and be like "sorry I'm leaving you for a woman" just like I don't want to start getting intimate with a woman only to be like "sorry I think you're great friend-wise but I'm straight afterall". Catch 22.

I have ethics, morals. I don’t want to lead anyone on. I don’t want to settle for someone just because it’s convenient, and I definitely don’t ever want to be in a relationship out of codependency either. It wouldn’t be fair to any party. I still kick myself over confronting that girl and breaking it before anything happened but I know I’m not responsible for peoples happiness. I felt something for her. Friendliness, puppy love, protectiveness, pity, I just don't know what anymore. I'm definitely horrible at reading my emotions.

What the heck do I do? What am I?

2. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Help wanted please. Confusion with online dating...Need input and new strategy th

Hi,
    interesting to read that. I am a bisexual guy, never had a boyfriend as such (although a few others have tried with me in the past, I just couldn't see the opportunities at the time, nor did I wish to at the time), and nowadays, when I think about girls (I have had a few girlfriends) it feels very intense sexually, but when I think about guys, it's not only intense sexually, but also romantically; I feel like I could share more and get closer to a guy, than I have with the women I've been with. I feel like I can relate with guys more, that we would understand each other better, as though women are like some kind of 'other' that I will never truly comprehend. However I also am aware that I ought not to assume that. Maybe I will meet a woman one day with whom I will be able to have equality, a woman who will not try to get into my head, use sex as a form of leverage to get me to tow her line, etc. But thus far I've not been with a woman who did not try to control me, in various ways. Oh for someone, anyone who could just let me be me, as I allow others to just be themselves! Maybe it's just wishful thinking that being with guys will be any different. I guess only time, and actual experience, will tell.

What 'are' you? A living, breathing, human being. I see all of this as being something of an explorer. I'm on a journey to find out about my sexuality. Not sure what it is yet, or where this will lead. But I'm beginning to like the mystery, and not be so worried about what exact 'label' will fit me for life.

Just thought I'd share those few thoughts, hope something in this was helpful. :slight_smile:

#2 Damien, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  3. LaughingDove

Re: Help wanted please. Confusion with online dating...Need input and new strategy th

I think the fact that you saw there were problems here and stopped is a good thing. There is really no way when meeting someone especially online-- to figure out if it's a good fit and if the person is healthy until you have some conversations and interaction.

I'm considering online gay dating but am scared that my boundaries for healthy relationships won't be fully in place because I've never tried it and will be sooo excited for contact-- and I'll end up in a bad relationship again. I really don't know how to meet other women other than online dating at the moment and I'm just not feeling into dating men at all. I'm about 8 months post divorce to a man who I met online 8 years ago and he turned out to be very messed up. We were married within about 7 months of meeting and now I see that as a big red flag. Moving too fast.....

Anyway, I don't have answers for you-- but you should congratulate yourself for seeing something wasn't quite right and maybe when you are ready- give yourself permission to try again.