1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As the end of therapy approaches

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Richie., Mar 21, 2015.

1. Richie.

I've been hitting what I suspect are my corest problems. I've been working on what's been holding me back and hurting me the most. The person I never would of expected it to be.
    Years of abuse both mentally and physical I blamed certain people for my problems, but the problem was me. I'm angry at myself. Not quite sure what for. But my bet is for being my own worst enemy. Keeping me in the shadows who knows. But this is my thought process as of late.
    The end of therapy worries me but the worry of when/if. It might end was hurting me more. Three more sessions and I'm done.

Hope you are ok. I'm doing the best I can.

Peace

#1 Richie., Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why are you done in three sessions? Have you and your therapist mutually decided that you won't benefit from much more therapy right now? Are there other reasons?

I don't know any of the details, but from what you're describing, it sounds like there's still a lot of material that's been opened up but hasn't been fully processed and integrated, and usually the process involves continuing on whatever has been opened up and processing it through.

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I know that I hit an end in therapy once because I had used up what was allowed by my health insurance. But I did find some really cheap therapy at a local university where they have grad students studying psychotherapy who need to get practical experience. they are pretty flexible on their rates. they need the experience, and they do need some money because they are poor grad students. the other way to bridge the gaps are with support groups. some, led by a therapist, charge a small fee. others that are self supporting usually take up a collection to cover expenses. but just quitting therapy cold turkey can be hard.

4. Richie.

My therapist thinks it's time to end it. I don't kno if the end of therapy has opened up these feelings or what. But. I feel ready to end it now too

5. CyclingFan

Have you brought up this specifically to your therapist, this anger at yourself? Recognizing that in myself, and probing into what brought that about has been helpful. Sounds like this is a new recognition?

6. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope it works out for you , Richie. What you wrote is a bit worrying if you're ending therapy, especially "Years of abuse mentally and physically..." If you were on the receiving end of abuse, it absolutely isn't you who is to blame. Although your post is cryptic, it sounds like maybe you were keeping yourself in the shadows, which is frequently a self-protective action for people who have been abused.

In any event, good luck.

For me, therapy never ends; I'm a lifer.

7. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    good luck Richie, don't be afraid to reach out if you need help from someone in a professional capacity.

8. Wildside

Wildside Guest

and remember, just because it's time to end it with this therapist now doesn't mean that there won't be a reason for it in the future -- or with a different therapist. At least this one isn't worried about losing a client. good luck!

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly what I was thinking. Exactly. If you were the target and the abusers had more physical and psychological power than you did or do, THEY are the problem and, more or less, the CAUSE of your problem. If you have the ability to make decisions or choices and keep making the wrong ones over and over, then you may be contributing to the problem in a later phase.

Sometimes victims really are victims. I have a friend with two young daughters who is married to human garbage ... sorry, but not really. She's a wolf in sheep's clothing who has the poorest of boundaries and I came to learn she physically abused these young girls when they got hyperactive, didn't listen, or she was stressed. It was horrible to hear the details of this. I ended my friendship with this guy, though not soon enough. How are these young girls to blame? They're not. If they replicate what happened later, keep making bad choices, or acquire destructive habits, then they might be partly at fault, but I'm hoping that won't happen.

So, moving on, good luck with going without therapy. You can always go back. I certainly have! Sometimes it feels good NOT to be in therapy and sometimes it feels good to be IN therapy, especially if you like working with your therapist!