1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life Worth Living

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MisterTinkles, Apr 4, 2015.

1. MisterTinkles

For anyone on their own and getting older.........

Do you think it's a life worth living if you are alone, or do you think you are SUPPOSED to have someone in order to be happy?

A lot of people think the major part of life is having to be attached to another human being for some reason. They think, for whatever reason, that "it's a sad life without having someone".

A lot of loners or people who prefer not to be attached "at the hip" to another human being find it a useless gesture, a fantasy for insecure people.

Do you think it's "sad" for someone older to be alone? Why?

Don't you think if they wanted someone, they would find them?

Or what do you think about someone like me, who will not SETTLE for just anyone who comes along, and therefore I live a life alone?

I've seen too many people who just settle for who ever comes along, and cannot stand their life as it is. Why do they do this to themselves? The torture, the manipulation, the stress and anxiety, the fakeness of it all.

I'd rather just be alone and not have to tolerate all that bullcrap. Politics are for governments, not for relationships.

Do you think it's a wasted life, just because someone did not find the right person to be with, or not want to be bogged down with being attached to another person?

[​IMG]

2. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's only sad for older people to be alone if they feel sad about it and lonely about it. For myself, being alone is intolerable; I'm going to take in street urchins to feed or join a commune. Being alone as I get old is not going to be an option for me. As far as I'm concerned, every relationship involves compromise and some disappointment, even with my children. I find pretty much no fault with my children but I've never been a nagger; I always wanted them to be who they are. Nevertheless, there are things they each do or say that I don't like; usually I zip my lip unless it involves my 19 year old attempting to negotiate a curvy onramp for a bridge at 70mph. I'm not a controlling person; I can have great patience with people.

---------- Post added 5th Apr 2015 at 03:57 PM ----------

The only thing I really can't tolerate is cruelty, meanness, and this who are totally narcissistic

3. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been navigating these questions for a few years now, and I haven't completely figured out the answers. I'm definitely an introvert, so being around tons of people is overwhelming and quickly saps my energy. But, there are also times when loneliness creeps up and overshadows my life. I value my independence, but I also worry about being alone "forever".

Finding a balance between too much and too little is challenging. Unfortunately, I find myself on the side of "too little" right now — I'm trying to reach a better equilibrium that involves sharing quality time regularly with a small group of close friends ... and maybe a loving relationship if the opportunity arises ... while also celebrating all that is good about my independent life.

I probably overthink this stuff too much and just make life more difficult for myself. Curse these Vulcan genes...

4. user199

user199 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    for me being alone has become somewhat easier over the years..but there is a difference between being alone and being lonely..i have learnt over the years that i can alone yet not be lonely..but yes the loneliness bug does catches up from time to time but its has got much more better over time..i am a firm believer that unless I learn to be happy with myself no one else can make me one..i can in one short bad situation with a guy and know from my experience first hand i am better off being single than been a bad relationship..that bad experience also it seems let me to not to seek for a love/relationship it seems..even though life as of now is good mostly and grateful for it for the most part but yes given a choice i want to be a relationship than being single..

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people are actually better off being without a partner, some need companionship. Society has dictated mates for life should be the norm, but I am not so sure that's what human nature really intended.

It may seem easy for me to say this since I am in a relationship with someone I love. However I do find times when I question the ideology behind the need for a partner. This might be a symptom of "the grass is always greener on the other side", it might be related to my ease of being alone when my partner and I are not together (given job constraints we live apart but commute monthly for weeks at a time to see each other), maybe it's a function of sometimes getting frustrated with how much work goes into maintaining a successful and mutually satisfying relationship or it might be the desire to always try new things where relationships often get into patterns and a bit monotonous.

At the same time, I have many acquaintances whom I have met over the past few years that prefer to be alone and are very happy alone. The discussion has often reflected their lack of desire or need to be in a relationship and where they prefer the independence and freedom of being single. I can see some of this being attributed to a "Peter Pan" syndrom and some of it reflecting peoples true understanding of themselves.

All in all, I do not believe relationships are a one sizes fits all concept. I do believe each of us need to know enough about themselves to understand what works for them individually. Where for some, it's being in a dedicated relationship, for others, it's being single.

As for me, I believe I have found the perfect balance. A few weeks a month with the person that I love, and a few weeks a month on a more independent basis. The best of both worlds I guess.