1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a Heteronormative Life after coming out the best idea?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, Apr 10, 2015.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, as many of you know, I have been out on my third year now. Soon after I came out, I had one boyfriend for about 9 months, was single for about 4 moths, and then another boyfriend where we celebrated our one year anniversary a month ago.

After being in a marriage for 19 years, and conforming to a heteronormative family dynamic, the question I have been asked to consider by my boyfriend, is am I willing to do it again with him? White picket fence, dog, a child, etc.

I have been on such a journey of self exploration since I have come out, and he has been such a strong part of that for me, I love him like I have never loved anyone before.

But the thought of jumping back into such a life, is scaring me completely. I do not want to lose him, but would I be making to big a sacrifice while I am still in transition with my life.

Maybe our relationship has simply moved too fast. Maybe an ultimatum is not in either of our best interests, but if I am being asked to choose today, I am just now confident I can make such a decision wisely; too many competing interests in my own head.

I am very comfortable being single and on my own, so that does not concern me at this point; what concerns me is thought of not having him in my life, but at what expense will come with that?

I contemplated putting this in the relationship thread, but since this dynamic relates so much to what I have been through having come out later in life after already having the white picket fence, 3 dogs, two kids, I think those here are probably better able to relate.

It sunny outside, but its feeling a bit dark in my head at the moment.

2. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well what exactly would you give up by moving in to a nice place together and setting down roots? It doesn't seem like you're scared of a commitment to him. Are you worried about having kids and starting a new family? Or do you mean freedom literally like going out at night and living like you're single?

I think most of us would love finding someone and settling down, but you've done that before. Maybe it's worth thinking about whether a second go at family life would be a better experience now that you're comfortable with who you are. :slight_smile:

3. BeingEarnest

Dear OTH,
    I came out late in life a year ago, and I wonder about the same things. I am now separated from my wife. While I know what it is like to be in a long term and committed relationship, I do not know what it is like to be with a man. This is all new to me, and I am afraid to even set any expectations. The men I meet have all been out for many years, and have an entirely different set of hopes and expectations.

I recently started seeing a wonderful man. He is kind, gentle, thoughtful, passionate. When I am with him, I feel a happiness I cannot even describe. It just comes up from inside. Is that love? Every part of me says yes, but it is all still so new. I know that he dreams of settling down. He is older than I, and has been out for many years. His previous relationships were in a time when marriage was unimaginable. Now that it is legally possible, he feels he can hope for it.

For myself, I feel like I need to take things one step at a time. I don't want to rush. And it would not be good for me, or anyone, if I move too fast.

I suspect the key is communication. Talking openly, honestly and with mutual care. If a relationship moves forward into some form of commitment, it needs that level of trust and the ability to talk things through. In your situation OTH, I thinK you need to trust your instincts, and listen to your feelings. What is behind the fears? What is lost and what is gained if your relationship moves forward? You have made enormous sacrifices to get to this place in life and to be able to accept yourself. Will the decisions you make uphold the dignity you have worked to achieve during this time?

Those are some thoughts that occur to me. I wish you well. More than that, I hope that you find joy and peace, whatever direction you choose.

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

If he is a young man I can see his desire for kids.

But hertronormative is an illusion for straights too. What is the failure rate... 50%?

Why not charr your own course?

Kids.... That is a major commitment

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All raise some fair points. It certainly has not helped that we are also living 4,000 miles away from each other as well. While we both travel a lot and do see each other frequently (one to two weeks a month on average), this is also having quite an impact on things as well.

#5 OnTheHighway, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ummm...

4,000 mile white picket fence????

Nobody can raise kids that way... WEED WHACKING FENCE WOULD KILL YOU.

Both of you would need to alter careers. BOTH

7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the scale between whom has more to loose by altering careers, my career would. Even then, I attempted to transfer back, but was turned down. He can get the same job he is doing now on this side of the pond, but he does not want to; he is proud of his accomplishments where he currently is and feels a massive loyalty to his current employer.

8. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This changes the general picture a lot.

Coming out and deciding to live your life authentically does automatically protect you from making choices which might still feel 'wrong' in a way.

If you have a shadow of doubt that *you* want to go thought with this- don't.
    4000 miles is a huge distance to cross for a relationship- if something does not work out, *one of you* will end up disadvantaged, the power balance will shift, and you will end up living in an inauthentic relationship, again. You are not 20, you don't have an endless credit on making half-arsed decisions any more (although you might still have a few left)

The fact that you are supposed to make up your mind today, and that your are asking the question on the same day, is a *huge* red flag for the relationship: anyone needs more time to consider all the implications, and make a decision which will alter the life of one of you considerably.

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    to clarify, we are both thinking through it collectively over the next few days. Sorry if I was not clearer.

10. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am just now getting to the point where I am ending my relationship of 14 years with my gf so that I can be out and I know already that I could see settling down and having that family life. I think it has more to do with that's just the type of person I am. I don't care for being single and I am in no rush (once this ends) to find someone else or just mess around. I don't see why that should even have a term such as "heteronornative". To me that just makes it sound like a gay or lesbian couple trying to do "straight things", when to me, happiness and commitment and a stable life should be universal wants.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In general, I find it both amusing and even a little odd when people swing the pendulum full tilt upon coming out. Like they say, "everything in moderation." Pick and choose what you want and need from your new and future personal relationships and social contacts. Most yards in America don't seem to have picket fences ... just lawns that come up to the sidewalks. Also, pets are way easier to take care of than kids. With kids, it almost seems like, again, people are catering to a societal expectation of what makes for a complete family. Personally, I don't recommend kids later in life. I was born to parents well into middle age (well, one of them) and they were already too weary to have provided the right sort of upbringing.

12. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My boyfriend and I had a long discussion tonight. He does an amazing job of getting to the root core of an issue; and talking to me in such a way that helps me understand for myself what is going on in my know head.

What was missing from my prior relationship, was honesty, communication and a real partnership. This is what I equated to be a heteronormative relationship, and what I feared most was our relationship becoming this.

Is our distance an issue, yes, but we will sort through it; is kids a concern, yes, but no decisions need to be made today. And, I do want a dog!

I am lucky to have both everyone here to provide support as well as a boyfriend that is really wonderful.

And as I type this, he just informed me that his employer has given him additional flexibility with his schedule allowing us to be together on a more regular basis :slight_smile:

#12 OnTheHighway, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015