1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AARP article - dating for gay men 50+

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by piano71, Apr 14, 2015.

1. piano71

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  2. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Does not address real issus in my opinion.

Real issues;

Frauds
    Incapable
    Losers
    Cowards
    Opportunistic

It is a numbers game with odds stacked in meeting one of the above.

3. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great article! I didn't realize AARP even had a pride page. That's cool. I know quite a few people who have found love in their second act--I also know a few who gave in to bitterness. I think, as the article points out, not giving way to fear is one of the keys.

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do not see bitterness, only numbers...

It is the difference between starting xmas shopping in July versus December 24th. Much better selection in July and finding what you want more easily. By the 24th shelves can be empty, smaller selections, damaged products left.

Pure numbers game. You have to work the numbers though.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    And many of those 12/24 buys will be in haste "must get something, anything", and end up being so unsatisfactory that they go back the minute the store opens on 12/26.

---------- Post added 15th Apr 2015 at 05:41 PM ----------

And I suppose to a degree I am one of those who has "given in to bitterness." Or at least strong pessimism. Taking a long, hard look at myself and my life, and I see a product that is hard to market. It would be easier, I think, for a BMW dealer to sell a used turd brown Ford Pinto than it would be for me to sell myself as a boyfriend, let alone partner/husband in a LTR...

Somehow I've seen in my case that I need to make certain changes, which is taking a lot longer than I'd thought/hoped two years ago. One never knows whom one might meet. And, somehow, I have to be in a place of peace: if I never even have a single date, well, I need to be at peace with that. (IIRC, as the article pointed out: a bad relationship is worse than being alone.)

6. allnewtome

And maybe by the 24th all the stuff that appears great at first glimpse but turns into a dud is off the shelf so while the pickings may be less the quality on whole is greater. I prefer shopping on the 24th, impulse stuff and deceptive items are often off the shelf by then but what's left is often full of quality and sustainability.

I am not one of those post pictures of happy kittens people that throws about positive outlook as some miracle cure for all that ails you but I believe in positive thought and positive action to get us to where we want to be in life whether that's alone or not. I have personally never encountered anyone whose story to contentedness started with 'there I was dwelling on life and all of a sudden everything fell into place" nor have I heard a great love story start with 'I was down and out on life in general thinking I'd never find the man of my dreams when out of nowhere there was a knock on the door...".

I believe we focus on ourselves as individuals and finding what feeds our souls, what brings us comfort and passion and genuine contentedness in life and the chances for everything else falling into place will increase.

7. FreedMan

FreedMan Guest

Interesting article -- just even the fact that AARP recognizes not strictly heteros as a part of the senior community. Point #5 is worth reflecting on:

8. FloridaGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    good article....wish it was longer and offered more real suggestions.
    Nice to know that they are thinking about us out there!