1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else feel damaged by their coming out experience?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Lindsey23, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Lindsey23

I came out to my parents as a teenager, I wasn't ready to come out. The issue was somewhat forced after my mom read my mail. Long story short, they had a bad reaction and I ended up going back in the closet, got married and have tried to make myself straight. This happened more than 20 years ago and I still feel damaged by it. It's beyond feeling hurt. I've never been able to get over it.

I haven't felt close to my parents since. There's a wall between us and I often feel numb towards them. We get along though, it's not like we hate each other. We still get together and it isn't uncomfortable. It just isn't close. I used to feel angry towards them for how they treated me but now it's turned into a deep sadness. Especially as they're getting older and I know they won't be around forever.

Does anyone else feel this way towards their parents? Does it ever get better?

2. Gymskirtboy

Gymskirtboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel for you I really do. When I was 13 I had a boyfriend briefly and he decided to tell everybody I was gay which caused me a great deal of heartache and pain. My parents were always total homophobes and I just had to continuously make out to them and everybody else that I was straight. I went out with girls and all sorts until even I believed I was straight. Now I can't stand my dad because I feel him more than anybody else is responsible for fucking my life up and it is fucked up. I never got any help or sympathy for what I was going through.

3. RedLynx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know your parents' background, but their negative reaction towards your orientation was usually out of fear. Things that deviate from the "normal" standards, given their limited set of beliefs and prejudices, will immediately set of that trigger--I guess they were just trying to protect you (or themselves) from judgement. But whatever that is, it belongs in the past and the only thing you can do to ease your pain is to forgive them.

I know you've missed the part where you could've fully expressed your sexuality, but just see the events that unfolded as challenges that made you what you are today. The lessons you've learned, the experiences gained...they've made you stronger.

4. Lindsey23

Thanks you guys. Gymskirtboy, I'm sorry for what you went through. It is painful. I think it's harder for us in the older crowd because we didn't have the same level of support that is available today. No positive role models. Just a sense of inferiority. Society as a whole was against us. It is inspiring to see the changes taking place in the US and other places but those of us who have been rejected are still left with this sense of emptiness.

cab8913, Their reaction probably was out of fear, and maybe a misguided attempt to protect me. I don't know...it still hurts. As far as their background, it only makes me feel worse. They're not religious at all, they're fairly liberal and have gay friends. I never thought they would react the way they did. I should have kept my mouth shut until I was ready to come out. I agree that it's in the past and I need to move forward and forgive them. I want to do that. I'm not there yet though.

"just see the events that unfolded as challenges that made you what you are today. The lessons you've learned, the experiences gained...they've made you stronger. "

I wish this were true but I think I would be a stronger person today if I had their support. Maybe I wouldn't be so full of anxiety and afraid to talk to people. Maybe someday I'll be stronger because of it but...not yet. I still have a lot of growing to do. I'm trying to get there. EC has helped quite a bit.

#4 Lindsey23, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  5. RedLynx

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems like they're tolerant but not fully accepting of the gay community. My parents were also like that when I came out to them. Good thing I'd been already living away from them at that time. But I just proved to them that there's nothing wrong with it. Even until now I still have doubts if they've truly accepted me for who I am. They're never really upfront about it and whenever I and my partner visits them, I don't see them showing any signs of disapproval, instead they treat us with respect. I believe it's a good sign.

I understand you. It's not an easy and quick process. It's totally normal to say that things would've been different if certain things in the past were happening as you would've wanted them to happen. Take your time in reflecting from those events, why did they happen, why do you need to experience them. I know this is cliche but things really happen for a reason. When the time comes that you will know the answers, you will have a different outlook in life. Take your time and be open for new opportunities. And don't feel sad because you're not alone.

6. allnewtome

The way you describe your relationship now with your parents is exactly to a tee how I feel about mine at this point in time. Not entirely about my sexuality but a few different issues with each of them that have put a distance between us emotionally that i don't imagine with ever be repaired. It's a shame as I had close relationships with each of them at differing points in time that are only now memories, I'm not angry or bitter about any of it like you describe its just a sadness.

That being said I commend you for the effort you're making in coming here, I think all we can do is to try not to focus on yesterday and how today may have been different if yesterday had been. Today will be tomorrow's yesterday and there is no need to waste it buried in thoughts of what may have been.

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll weigh in. I have had the same feelings but have channeled my feeling by a) my parents are both dead now. (Off topic: in fact it was my moms death that finally allowed me to ask myself, hey I might be gay.) We grew closer as they got closer to death - so it does get better. b) I have channeled my displeasure with my mom not to her personally but to society and religion. She was taught by society that homosexuality is wrong. c) I really fault the "control" and "exploit" types within Christianity for considering homosexuality wrong. These very limited few people are total freaks and DO NOT follow Christianity at all but are really on a "self agenda mode" very much like Jim Jones of the Jonestown massacre. d) the "venturi effect" You ever watch or observe people? Many of them jump on a band wagon of others just to feel accepted. So in the case of homophobia, people jump on the "homosexuality" is wrong band wagon because everyone else is.

Hope this helps.

8. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

I was mucho damaged before I came out...

this has helped straighten out and repair a lot of issues. But, I am in therapy...

9. cognito

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi kindi14,
    I hope that your therapist is a good person.

10. Lindsey23

Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate each and every one of them. I'm feeling much better today. I was in a bit of a funk when I wrote this. I've been reflecting on the past a lot lately. But I fully want to move forward with my life...I want to be a better person. kindy14, I'm in therapy too, I think that's what's helped me move from angry to sad. Now I just need to move beyond that to forgiveness. I'm getting there, it's just taking some time. I'm so glad I have all of you here for support. It means so much to me.