1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being Gay and Celibate?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, May 4, 2015.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came across this article written by Rabbi Steven Greenberg, a gay orthodox rabbi who has sought to reconcile his faith with his orientation, and is guiding others to do so within the fold of orthodoxy. He is the author of an excellent discussion of this issue in Wrestling with God and Men, which deals directly with the source of that problematic passage in Leviticus, as well as the long tradition of animus toward homosexuality (particularly in males).

The article addresses the theoretical idea that people who are gay should be celibate (the term halakhic, used in the article, refers to an opinion on a point of Jewish law):

The part I have bolded above is the gist of the matter: how inhuman indeed to condemn someone to such a life. It destroys the whole "love the sinner, hate the sin" BS that one hears from people who have simply not thought through the implications of their "solution" to this "affliction".

The solution, Greenberg proposes, is to argue with God.

There is a long tradition of this in Judaism, starting with Abraham when he negotiates to spare Sodom and Gomorrah from their destruction (Genesis 18:24). In this tradition, it is considered better to wrestle with the Deity (tremblingly) on these issues than to simply reject Him. I am not saying this is my point of view, only what the tradition has allowed.

The article ends, simply, with the assertion that once arrived at the gates of heaven, one has a good case to make in defense of living with integrity.

2. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An interesting article. Thanks for posting the link, and also your take on it.

I'm a Catholic, not a Jew. I guess, however, that similar questions arise.

Firstly, I think people of a conservative religious position who urge celibacy as the only option very rarely understand quite what they are saying. If you are not in a situation, it is very hard to understand it. The tensions between religious belief and my own feelings, which form such a crucial part of my identity, have caused my huge anguish and pain. And endless trouble. And well meaning people who say things like 'we all have our cross to carry', or, in the old Catholic phrase 'offer it up', are, well, well meaning. They really are. But they just don't understand.

I have come to believe that, as the Rabbi says, living with integrity is what matters in the end. God cannot demand the impossible. Nor can it possibly make him happy to see us sad.

More than that is unclear to me.

3. Gymskirtboy

Gymskirtboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm gay and celibate, but its not through choice......

4. Kalopsia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Very interesting article, thank you for sharing. Definitely a worthy read for someone struggling with these issues. The world needs more people like this rabi. The only part that bothered me: If you cannot be celibate without doing yourself great harm, then it will be best for you to find a partner, join a shul and seek a way to make a family. Living a full and religiously alive life as a self-accepting gay person is better than your walking away from the community forever. Sounds a bit like ‘Oh well… If you must…’, which is still not the response I think you’d want to have if you are struggling with this. Not sure if I misinterpreted it.)

Like Camel, I was raised a catholic but at some point in my life I just completely stopped believing in God and remain an atheist to this day, buy I remember the days of guilt in my teenage years. I remember going to confession thinking I’d tell the priest everything and be forgiven, chickening out at the last minute and proceeding to plan how my afterlife in the burning hells would be…

My view on this is that if there were to be a God and a judgement day, I very much doubt anyone who has been a good, caring person, respectful of others will have much trouble getting into heaven. If you have a partner, be it a man or a woman and all you do is love him/her, then you can’t be doing anything wrong.

Religious institutions are, even if hypothetically decreed and started by a God, far too twisted by men’s thoughts and agendas to resemble anything like what God might have wanted them to be. We’ve become too good at it. We do it in every aspect of our lives, from religion to politics, from journalism to personal relationships. Take the quote that interests you, twist it around to suit your argument and ignore the rest of it. It saddens me that institutions that are supposed to about love, acceptance, togetherness can cause so much distress to very good people.

I mean no disrespect to any religious people in here. I echo what the rabi and two posters above said: living with integrity is the most important. Try to be a good person, find the love for whatever God you worship inside you, love him your way. If he is indeed all about love, he’ll love you the way you are.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You didn't misinterpret it at all. It is quite a shocking statement to make, yet it is very much part of the value system in Judaism. If a life is in danger, we are commanded (it's not a guideline or a recommendation, it is law) to disregard any law that would endanger a person, or hinder his or her healing. Humans are given free choice, and for people in the orthodox fold, a place where I once was, it is understandable that one wants to avoid throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Hence, choosing to be an orthodox Jew while being openly gay (the rabbi has a partner and they are raising a child) is to choose to live with this tension for the sake of avoiding harm, while keeping the tradition alive.

The title of the play Fiddler on the Roof, about the difficult life of a poor Jewish milkman, Tevye, who lives in a Shtetl (a small village in Poland or Russia) is apt in this case; it is a rather precarious thing to fiddle on a roof, and even harder to do it well. This has been an existential condition for Jews for a couple of thousand years. We're used to living with contradictions (and danger), but this illustrates one of the highest Jewish values: which is choosing to live, and for this orthodox rabbi, and many like himself, the choice is to live "a full and religiously alive life as a self-accepting gay person", indeed, it is considered infinitely better to live with this tension than to simply walk away from the richness that this life offers to those who love it.

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Why argue with God, the trouble is the guy standing between insisting on being the translator when none is needed.

---------- Post added 4th May 2015 at 05:05 PM ----------

True happiness is... to enjoy the present, without anxious dependence upon the future.
    Lucius Annaeus Seneca

#6 skiff, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  7. bi2me

Arguing with G-d can also be seen as debating issues with one's self. Looking at issues from multiple points of view based on different sources is a valuable exercise whether seen from a religious or secular point of view.

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Kalopsia...

This is not about God in my opinion. You can shift it away from God and towards science and it becomes more obvious.

Einstein regreted his contribtions to science that opened the door to atomic bomb.

To me the answer is simple... From atoms, to love, to God humanity twists all things into weapons.

You cannot unscrambke the egg. You can refuse to eat it.

9. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm. Arguing with God, as you see it in the Hebrew scriptures (the Christian Old Testament) seems more like bargaining, or haggling, with God. If God endowed us with reason, he meant us to use that reason.

Catholic teaching is that an informed conscience is the ultimate guide to moral choices. But note that the conscience must be informed. 'It seems right to me' isn't really good enough. Again, you must use reason. And if you do, and a certain course of action seems right to you, then that course of action becomes not just ok, but necessary.

Kalopsia - I am sort of sorry if you have lost your faith completely. I understand, and think it tragic how many people are driven out of the Church by the attitude of other Catholics and often priests. But it is those people who drive others out of the Church who will be judged. I cling to my faith in God, a merciful, just and loving God, but I have little objective faith in the Church any more.

10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Whole point of social institutions is to create exclusivity and non complying outsiders. From golf clubs, to politics, to marriage and religion...

11. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the secular world, I chose celibacy for a very long time when married, but now I have chosen to live. I think I am still going to heaven!

12. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well ... religion shouldn't just be a social institution like a golf club. It is about human interaction with a transcendent reality which is God. If it functions like a golf club, something has gone badly wrong.

I understand many people don't believe in God. That's fine. I often tend to agnosticism myself. I am certainly not trying to make points or convert anyone. But religion should be, and at its best is, inclusive rather than exclusive.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is said that Abraham, the root founder of all the great monotheistic religions, pitched a tent at a crossroads, with four openings in all four directions. It is explained that this was his way of welcoming strangers into the faith. It was in no way exclusive of anyone.

It is so important to make distinctions between the transcendence Camel mentions above, and the inevitable corruption of organized religions that we have inherited. One can understand it this way: there is no way one could ever recreate what Mozart, Bach or Beethoven sounded like in their time (a lot of their music was also improvised), all we are left with now are second-best interpretations from contemporary musicians who are trying their best to work with the material that was put to paper.

14. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

second best copies and if one note is changed, by accident or design, or mis-interpertated it changes the whole piece. i believe this is where we are with the Christian Bible, changed text and mis-interpertations have muddied the Holy Waters. the most important message is to love. I saw it written that it would be better to be before Jesus on judgement day and be told you were wrong to include people like us than to be told that we were wrong to exclude a volunerable part of society.

15. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a Catholic, so the community of believers - the Church - is more important to me than the Bible. I see the bible as an important record of that community, but my faith (such as it is) is not in the bible, it is in what it represents. That, I suppose, is the difference between a Catholic and Protestant view of things.

The Church is deeply flawed. It is composed of flawed men and women. And too often it is used for other purposes, to advance agendas, or for raw power. Even when that is not the case, and people in authority have good intentions, they are often rather limited men, often damaged themselves.

I try to be charitable. I have suffered and continue to suffer myself.

16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes.

This is sort of digression, I guess, but this is one passage discussing this that I like to keep in mind if I ever have to deal with one of those "The Bible is Flawless!!!!" fundamentalists:

"[...] But I say that whoever is angry with his brother is in danger..."

St. Matthew's account of this course of instruction reads, "Whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause." But Jesus could not have said "Without a cause" for in this very chapter He says again and again that one must forgive no matter what the cause. Was someone, copying the original manuscript, angry with his brother at the time?​

This came from Healing Light by Agnes Sanford. (1947). The flaw she points out may be a translation flaw--I think the passage is Matthew 5:22, and it appears that "without a cause" is in some translations, and not others. Interestingly, it is in the King James version, which I believe many "Bible is never wrong!" fundamentalists still embrace as the "true" Bible...

---------- Post added 5th May 2015 at 10:15 AM ----------

A lot depends on the particular Protestant view, I suppose. The conservative Christian groups generally seem to be the most rigid about the Bible.

Indeed, a retired Lutheran pastor commented recently that how the Bible is read varies group to group. Conservatives might see "law", while he would see "grace."

Then...I heard a quote several months ago. I have no idea where it came from; it was something that appeared in a video I watched. There was a reference to "last week", but the video from last week was no where to be found. But the quote was what God might say today to some groups. It was something like: "How dare you reduce me to between the covers of a book!"

17. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone that tells a confused person to live in celebacy because it's "god's will" is a cruel and inhuman person, or at least stupid.

Everyone has the right to be happy, as long as you aren't hurting anyone.

18. Kalopsia

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with you. I have a very cynical view of the world and not mixing my life with god becomes quite easy, since I just don't believe in it. However some people have a strong faith and they have to try to reconcile it with all aspects of their lives or they end up miserable. I was merely suggesting a way to do it (granted, the atheist is probably the least qualified to give religious advice, but hey...)

It's quite alright. The faith in the institution of church I lost in my late teens, when I slowly started observing those around me and releasing that it was more about politics and favouritism that 'the greater good'. My faith in god... well, I'm a man of science and all I've read, observed, listened to just leads me to believe he does not exist. I have the utmost respect for (good) religious people. As long as they don't try to convert me, I ain't trying to convert them to my 'religion'. Live and let live, as they say. Churches refusing to 'let live' is what gets on my wick...

19. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    greatwhale.....thank you so much for posting that article. I am gay, married 36 years and have chosen to basically stay in the closet and be celibate to protect the ones I love...my family. It is such a very complicated situation for those of us growing up in the 50's and 60's....most of us didn't know we had a choice but to do what was expected. Now, at least for me, the price is to high. It's better that I continue as I am than destroy my family...and I know that is what would happen. It's not such a bad life...I am not alone as referenced in the article and I have those that love me even though they will never know the "real" me. The article really did encourage me. I don't get that very often...thank you so much.....David

20. MOGUY

Quebec, our lives have a lot of parallels in that I'm committed to my marriage also. We will celebrate our 37th anniversary this year. But I did open up to my wife about 3 years ago. I sometimes wonder if it was the right thing to do. But it has been beneficial to me in knowing that my wife now knows me thru and thru. It's brought about a tighter bond I think. But that doesn't mean it's been an easy ride for us. Do you think you might tell her some day?