1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family Therapy with Kids

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by OnTheHighway, May 12, 2015.

1. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, the past few years has been progressing well in many respects following my catalyst moment. Amicable separation for the most part from my ex, in a wonderful relationship that has real legs for the long term, work is going well.

However, my relationship with my 16 and 17 year old kids have been quite a roller coaster. Since I have moved out, they have seen me on average maybe 1.5 times per month (and I move two blocks away). When we get together, it's usually for an hour and a half at a meal.

I do attend school functions (been to their plays, sporting competitions, etc) and I am there in bad times (just yesterday one of them had to go to the hospital for an allergic reaction and I was bedside the entire time).

When one of them went on a tour of universities, Mom took them rather than dad, although dad pushed hard to go together (mom was too uncomfortable).

We had one trip together, and that was to visit my father for three nights, but aside from that no other holidays together in the past 2.5 years.

Now, when they need something, of course I get the call or text - it's a birthday and someone wants a gift, summer is coming and another wants my help to get them into a summer program.

My ex insists she has been pushing them to be closer to me, but although I am sure she does use the words, they had always been closer to their mom growing up, and they seem to have both a need to protect their mom and a belief that when I left their mom, I left them as well. At the same time, it really is up to them and myself to figure things out, which I recognise.

When I did leave the house, I intentionally move only a few blocks a way, we discussed how I would come over a few times a week to see everyone and we even agreed to still have holidays together. All those early agreements unravelled, despite my attempts to facilitate them.

I have tried to have discussions with them but they usually get heated and rather than making progress, it makes things worse. Over the last few years I also had suggested to them that we attend therapy together, but they had continuously resisted.

So, finally, this weekend, while at dinner together, we had quite a fight after I expressed my concern that they do not want to participate in my life nor take the time to get to know their father. Following the fight, however, they did finally agree to go to therapy with me.

So, our first session is tonight. I know in the long run it will be good for us. But I am typically a very direct and open person and I feel compelled to be completely honest when we are at the session. At the same time, I really hope they are fully honest with me as well. I am sure there will be a lot of pain coming out tonight. I am a bit anxious. But I love them dearly and I hope this is one of those taking a few steps back before making leaps forward type moments.

If not, my fear is that the damage from the past few years has festered too long and might be irreversible. I guess I will see.

Thanks for taking the time to read if you got through this post :slight_smile:

2. bi2me

Good luck tonight! Let us know how it goes.

I hope you are able to come closer to your children and understand each other so you feel more a part of each other's lives.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This sounds potentially very valuable experience
    I hope it goes really well

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't imagine how heartbreaking that experience must be, and how difficult for you. It's wonderful that the kids agreed to go to therapy.

Teens almost always have some difficulties with parents and avoidance and rebellion is somewhat normal, but it's also clear that this situation is more than that.

I hope the therapist will be skillful in helping all of you understand how each other is feeling, and better enable you to enjoy your time together.

5. SWburbchgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Look at as a healing experience for everyone and I would recommend being completely honest to the point that you are expressing your feelings strictly about your relationship with your children. By doing so and not letting any other issues creep in to the conversation you will all come out with better coping skills and having established how important your kids are and your relationship with them is.
    Please keep us updated as we can all learn from each other - best of luck

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing to discuss is whether they are catching any flack from other kids because you are gay, or whether they are hiding it because they are feeling some kind of shame about it. If they are, then that is something for you and the therapist to work on. I wish you the best of luck because, in my book, you are doing all the right things a responsible dad should do, and should be being treated better for it.

7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I came out with a few bruises. But I think we are all in agreement that the session was beneficial and everyone is committed to following through with additional sessions. No issues at all with me being gay (nor any issues from friends). They expressed a bunch of typical teenager angst associated with maturing and wanting to be recognized as an adult, finding a balance between parents when parents split and, of course, Dad needing to generally be more sensitive (that kinda hurt to hear I was not being sensitive, but I needed to hear it).

Of course, I made a few mistakes along the way, and of course, so did they. But everyone wants to work through it.

The therapist did an outstanding job helping to direct the discussion. There was some tension and emotion, and he helped us manage through it. I was so nervous before hand, but now I feel amazingly optimistic that we will work through it.

Why it took two years to get to this point is beyond me (they needed to agree), but at least we all finally got here. Will provide updates as our sessions progress.

8. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OnTheHighway - reading your thread here about how hard it has been with your kids really hits home. I am sorry you have had such a difficult time even after trying to stay engaged.
    The reason this hits home for me is that I came out to my wife 4 weeks ago - and we have not agreed on when to tell my two daughters (15 and 19). We agreed to wait until after high school finals the first week of June and after my daughter is home from university. She got home yesterday. I'm sure you can imagine the stress level increase when my daughter drove into the driveway home from university for the summer - reality hit that I will soon have to have the conversation. I am so worried I will have the same reaction you did - because they love their mom and are close to her -- i'm the one who travels on business to bring home the bacon --when i'm here, I am engaged 110%.

Like you, I am a very direct and open person and I feel compelled to be completely honest about me coming out and that I am gay. At the same time, I really hope they are fully honest with me . I am sure there will be a lot of pain when I tell them. I am a anxious. But I love them dearly and I hope they understand and see me as being honest.

I would really like to know how you approached the subject with your kids. I cannot get my head around how this is going to come down.

Hang in there - hats off to you for going to great lengths to save your relationship with your kids.

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Headshaver,

Like you, we waited until school ended. And I was asked to tell them alone. I kept the discussion short and to the point. Explained we were separating and explained that I was gay. My kids were shocked and cried, and then they spent time with their mother. The mistake I made, in retrospect, was not spending more time with them for the days and weeks following the discussion. They stayed with their mom while I moved out. That was a period where a lot of perceptions where solidified in their head and a lack of communication enhanced a lot of misperceptions.
    My kids were raised to be very tolerant. One of my daughters even participated in an equalities training program on her own initiative which was a program reserved for only two students at her school. They spend two weekends a month working with disadvantage families as well. So they have been raised with an open mind. At the same time, they have gay friends and being gay in school is not really an issue for the majority of kids; hence the lack iof fundamental issues with me being gay.
    That said, I do believe communication is key, and I was never a good communicator given I kept so much bottled up inside.

Good luck with your discussions!

#9 OnTheHighway, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015