1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diabetes - Do you have it? How do you handle it?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MisterTinkles, May 17, 2015.

1. MisterTinkles

Diabetes

Do you have it?
    What type do you have?
    How long have you had it?
    How do you deal with it?

[​IMG]

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don't, but at my age and with my part-latino genetics, I am prone to high blood sugars which is why I am very careful with my carbs consumption.

I worked for a few years in this disease area, and there are a lot of new drugs that are able to handle it, but it all comes down to adherence to the regimens that are given, both nutritionally and therapeutically. The main factor that determines how fast diabetics progress from type 2 diabetes to eventually needing insulin is directly related to the degree that they adhere to the treatment, and this is very difficult for many.

3. Biotech49

Yes, I have had it for fifteen plus years. I have type 2. I deal with it through meds and diet. I had gestational diabetes twice and my doctor said that was a very good indicator of my future with diabetes. Guess she was correct.

4. MisterTinkles

Yeah I have it too. Was diagnosed around 2007 I think. Have to take 4 different pills for it, plus Vitamin D, Glucosamine, and something else I never remember.

I'm pretty much not supposed to eat anything but "rabbit food", which is ok, when I'm in the mood for it. I've cut out 90% of the dairy and red meat. Well, pretty much all meat. I eat turkey if I eat any kind of meat.

I'm supposed to walk or ride my bike every day. I don't mind it, but it's hard on my legs, and there is NO safe place around my area to ride a bike.....people think you are a speed bump or something to run over in a video game. Hell, it's bad enough with people not running up on the sidewalks trying to kill you while walking.

I can't go on diets anymore, cause that could make things worse, so I have'nt been able to lose any weight.

Talk about vicious circles.

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can be pushing onto it. It's a prodromal state. If a person nudges into Type 2 later in life, and it's not that pronounced, I was told by physicians you will probably die because of something else. In our family, people have died mostly because of heart disease (hypertension), stroke, and problems with the kidneys and the urinary tract later in life.

They check glycemic chemistry with FBG and A1c tests. The first is for the fasting blood sample and the second one is for how your bodily average is moving across the preceding 2 to 3 month period. I think the normal A1c is somewhere between 4.4 and 5.7, or something like that. Who wouldn't want to be smack in the middle? I'm not. I'm on the upper end of that range, and my cholesterol has always been bad, even when I weighed 165 pounds. I like meat, I like bread, and I like desserts. I found that if I go to the gym regularly, I can still eat those foods every now and then and get a slightly lower A1c.

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A question... What is one use of cholesterol?

It is converted in the skin to vitamin D with exposure to UVB.

Body expects fair trade of D for cholesterol. DNA is wild and does not expect clothes, sunscreen and indoor lifestyles. So if D is low body produces more cholesterol to make more D. Statins act like fake D and shut down the "D needed" signal. Like putting tape over flashing 12:00 on digital clock.

8. archerrose

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have had Diabetes for over 20 years. I also have PCOS and the two go hand in hand. I also have psoric arthritis, fibro, hypertension, low thyroid and a messed up back. I use Insulin and supplements to get things in control. I should exercise more but with the arthritis it is difficult but I go to physical therapy twice per week. I don't take care of myself like I should and I am not a good role model.