1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on talking about my sexuality with my parents more openly

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by eburian, May 19, 2015.

1. eburian

I've posted really similar things on this before:

but my mom is coming to visit tomorrow and I really want to talk to her about dating.

Every time I try to though, I know I have to bring up the dating girls thing which she doesn't approve of so it's almost as if I shut it out. I'm out to her.. she just doesn't agree with it. I really want to have an open conversation about it but every time I do, it's like I feel like I don't have true evidence that shows it's not a phase. Everything is really internal and in the past she told me that I was just really looking for a friend so I developed crushes on girls.

It really hurts me and I don't know what else I can say to her. She doesn't believe bisexuals exist so I don't think she'd get that I'm bisexual with a preference for girls. I'm not sure what else I can say.. :/ I do feel like I need to try to be more open about it though with her and my brother, possibly come out to my dad.. I just know I really want to talk about it even if I marry a guy someday and be open with my sexuality.

Idk.. I worry a lot about my family disapproving of me.. ;( more my dad than anyone.. :/ I don't want to make it seem like a big deal so my parents can push me about it. I just want to not feel like I'm hiding every time.

I think what throws my family off is I didn't really start to question my sexuality till I was 18.. can anyone relate to this?

#1 eburian, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015