1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heterosexually Married Gay Men - How to be Supportive?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Atieno, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Atieno

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if I should be posting here but I come seeking advice by people who may be in a situation that I have very little insight into, other than from the outside looking in, who may be able to help guide me through a possibly delicate situation.

I'm an openly gay chap in his 30's, who has always been attracted to older gents. Over the years this has led me into repeated relationships with closeted married men. I have always tried to operate on the basis of "just for fun", the problem being is that I'm naturally very affectionate, warm and loving and thus the HMGM has responded in kind, leading to emotional and romantic attachments. This has always become complicated over time and ended in heart ache for me and I can only imagine a great deal of distress, confusion and pain for them.

I haven't dated a married man now for over a decade and thus hopefully am somewhat more mature when approaching this, however over the past 6 months I have met someone, who despite having same sex experiences in college, denied that part of himself into his 60's and into his subsequent retirement. Since retirement he has accepted his attraction to men and is quite open with me that he loves his wife (of 35 years who he has adult children with), has no intention to change his circumstances, inform her of his orientation (he still defines as bisexual but he is now exclusively attracted to men) but equally I'm the first man he's has slept with over night, the first man he's went on a date with and the first man he's ever felt an emotional/romantic attachment too.

I too feel very strongly for him and the last thing I want for him, is to cause him pain or confusion but equally the idea of being someone on the outside of his life and unable to build anything tangible with him, fills me with distress and confusion.

Ultimately I'm here asking for guidance on how to be supportive of my partner, from people who have been on the other side of this and experienced it first hand. If you have had same sex partners, while married, what did you or would you have appreciated from them and what would have helped you long term?

Would it be better in your opinions for me to leave and allow him to work out himself and his identity and what he wants and do I just muddy the water, or would the first man he feels anything for, rejecting him, set him back on his personal path? Or is this infact the destination he wants? A wife he loves and a boyfriend he loves, kept apart and ignorant of one another to a large extent?

I'm honestly very confused by all this, but mostly I'm very aware that this man has repressed his sexuality for 60 years and only over the last 4 has allowed himself to explore his same sex attraction and only with me has he allowed himself to grow emotionally and romantically entwined. (pro-actively asking to go on dates, rather than just have sex) and im aware that my actions could have far reaching effects on him here and I want to be supportive.

I will say a few things he's said indicate a deeper level of confusion than he lets be known such as when we were first physical asking "Is this what I've been missing all my life?" and equally expressing confusion as to why younger gay men are still marrying women despite society changing. Which somewhat speaks of regret, but I haven't pried as don't wish to hurt him. Equally though he still happily talks about his wife to me and refers to a lot of things as "we do this" etc... which conversely shows a mind set quite at ease with his situation.

Equally I should say I'm not prepared to be "the other woman" long term. So their is that to consider too. Normally I would approach this with honesty and bluntness, but to do so could very much feel like an ultimatum or an attempt to force him into making choices he isn't ready to make or is unwilling at this juncture to do so and cause harm in him finally allowing himself to care for another man.

So any help would be most appreciated as this is confusing me greatly and I want to be honest, supportive and true to myself and him in this.

(in closing I will say that I am well aware of the possible emotional damage that lying and cheating can cause to everyone, but I'm trying desperately not to moralise or judge)

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Atieno, welcome to EC!

Overall, I think you are being way too considerate of his feelings and not enough respectful of your own. You are framing this as a matter of support, that is admirable, but in a relationship, this is also a two-way street.

The confusion that you feel appears to be a case of cognitive dissonance; here is a nice definition from Wikipedia:

Allow me to suggest that both of you (he more than you) are engaging in the behaviour I bolded above. He is actively avoiding the necessary struggle that will come from acknowledging his sexuality, he wants to have his cake (his wife) and eat it too (that would be you).

On your side, you know that this is not the best situation, it doesn't matter whether it is long-term or not, this is a highly unfair situation for you. I can only assume that, because of the age difference, there is a power dynamic going on, because you seem to be unusually respectful and sensitive to his dilemma while minimizing your own (also an avoidance behaviour). This is not a situation of equality, which, in any healthy relationship should be the predominant guiding principle. The confrontation, or "ultimatum" that you are avoiding is very much in keeping with avoiding the discomfort spoken about above.

You already know what most here will tell you, I suspect that what you are looking for is confirmation that staying with him in this situation is a bad deal for you, but a great deal for him.

3. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello -
    As a currently married man, who has recently come out to his wife (1.5 months back) and who currently is involved with another gay man in a FB - FWB relationship - I understand many of the feelings you have mentioned above. I would give anything for my FB to be as open as you are and caring about my feelings. To answer your questions of how to be supportive - my answer is this:
    - Be honest with him and communicate. Don't play emotional games. Tell him how you feel. You both have to be on the same path, be honest and be open about things and communicate with each other. PLEASE don't play mind games with him. If you are not aligned on the long term desire of your relationship then accept it and realize it was not meant to be. Just be honest.
    My FB - who told me 5 months back that he doesn't want an exclusive relationship (before I came out ) has continued to keep me at arms length since I came out - meaning that we have not seen each other nor have we had sex for about 2 months - BUT he and I txt at least every other day about life - where we are, what we are doing, etc. I know he cares about me but he won't let this happen - likely because he is guarded given my situation. He knows I care for him. He knows I like him, we have chemistry and well, in a perfect world I can see him as a LTR --- BUT - he doesn't communicate with me and this kills me. I give 100% and he gives 99% - cutting things off just before they get to a point where he will allow himself to emotionally connect. One day I wish he will go away and never communicate with me - the next day I can't wait to hear from him again just to know I'm still on his radar.
    Anyway - too much of my own drama here --- my point is -- be honest. Communicate.

4. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC :smilewave

About me ... bi-married 51 started to explore my gay side 5 years ago. I'm one of the few married guys who prefers to have some emotional connection with guys in a FWB/BF relationship rather than anonymous hookups.

Bi-married men want discretion (that is to keep their secret) and safety (not to bring an STD home). Most bi-married men want to have a physical release and then return to their wives and families. Sounds like your companion enjoys more (dates and overnight stays). I'm envious of the overnight stay. Please keep in mind that a straight lifestyle is all he's known for most of his life. Try to imagine how you would feel if you discovered that you are a closeted heterosexual.

The line between "gay" and "bi-sexual" (with gay preferences) is complicated, one that I've been struggling with myself. This is further complicated by the societal norm of monogamy, which forces the bi-sexual to choose one gender over another. Since bisexuals are attracted to both genders, the idea of being married and having a relationship with you makes your companion complete. Bi-sexual may also be a transitional orientation while he comes to terms with his orientation. I would accept his self-identified orientation.

You must love this man very much, based on the degree of concern that you express in your post. Being married and having a relationship with you makes your companion complete as a bi-sexual. At some level you must choose to either accept this or not, since he's stated no desire to leave his wife. Ultimately you need to figure out what you want from this relationship given that he's chosen to stay married. If you were to end the relationship to remain true to yourself, there would be no need for an ultimatum, you are making a choice based on his choice to stay married. He would need to own the outcome of his decisions. I'm happy to be a sounding board as a bi-married man once you figure that out.

5. Atieno

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @ greatwhale - You're probably correct about most of it. I'm very old fashioned and find situations like this incredibly confusing for me. I define myself as a good person internally and yet my actions are not those of a good person, as I'm helping someone cheat; furthermore I make the situation more complicated due to my natural tendency towards romance, relationships and building deeper emotional connections; which complicates things terribly. Saying that most married men ive met in my life time, have always been more receptive to romance and warmth than sex; despite it complicating issues massively. As it seems that most of these individuals crave love and affection much more than simple physical gratification, as I think these men tend to feel lonely and isolated.

The one thing you might be incorrect about is that I haven't come here seeking confirmation that this situation is bad for me and great for him, if anything I dread that being confirmed. As it renders me trivial and something to be used and put aside when he's tired. Much more I was seeking a humanising answer for these men, to believe that they aren't just trying to have it all, but rather they are chap's who are victims of the social climate of their youth and now they experience the same confusions and emotional pulls as myself, stuck in an unenviable situation with no idea how to extricate themselves in a way that doesn't devastate someone they love, while facing fear of rejection from contacts formed over a lifetime.

So mostly it was asking if men who have come to the realisation of their sexuality late, after being married for several decades, are actually decent people who can love the man they are with and not just think that this is a way to have it all (wife and boyfriend) and if people are decent in that situation; what can I do to make that situation easier on them, while they work out who they are and what they truly want?

You are however completely right in that I'm not comfortable with being on the sidelines and my natural tendency towards old fashioned monogamy and relationships is quite at odds with my current circumstances and maybe the way I'm dealing with it is approaching my circumstances as helping someone in need rather than facing it as someone cheating on their wife and me helping them do it.

@ headshaver - I don't play head games ever. It's not part of my personality. I have fallen for this chap desperately. I think about him constantly and am saddened when he goes home and elated when he comes to see me. Every text is a cause for excitement and if a text sounds disinterested or distant, I worry that he's hurting or losing interest. In short, I'm very much in the first bloom of falling in love with someone. When everything is intense and means the world. I haven't said I love him, but he's perceptive and I think hes aware how I feel. He hasn't said I love you either, but equally he has said things that all point towards it. When we're together I'm incredibly happy but his first consideration is his wife and that's made clear all the time. I'm not really sure how to handle that.

EDIT @ Sienna, sorry I wasn't ignoring your post, it came in while I was typing my response. In response to your message; I wasn't aware about bisexuals feeling the need for both, as I assumed it meant they could go with either, rather than need both concurrently; but it makes a degree of sense. From his own view point he told me he's bisexual in as much as he's married to a woman, but his sexual interests are now solely orientated towards men. (he only seeks male sexual partners, in passing in the street its only men he enjoys looking at) He still however self defines as bi and that's fine. I wont push on that point as ultimately how he sees himself is more important that how I see him. I have tried to suggest that sexuality can be fluid and transitory but if he identifies as bi, then so be it. I think given what you've said; I do know the answer to that circumstance: I would be uncomfortable offering him the completion he craved at the expense of me ever building a life with another adult. I'm very much orientated to coming home to someone and waking up with them in the morning. Ironing their shirts for them and finding the dinner made when I get home from a busy day. The whole white picket fence ideal, is very much my hopes for the future. Even with how much I care about this gent, I don't think living in the shadows would do anything but slowly eat away at my self esteem and self confidence and leave me hurt and bewildered.

@ general response: in general I suppose I'm curious as to if these events ever work out for the best? If you had a boyfriend who loved you and supported you, would it have made things easier in the long run to make a choice to live honestly, or would it have just made it easier to live a double life? I don't want to facilitate living a dishonest lifestyle, but nor do I wish to hurt someone who is tentatively allowing himself to fall in love with a man for the first time; as that damage that could do worries me; I also am terrified of losing him, while being equally terrified of waiting for years for a man who only ever wants me as a part time partner.

Confused but the three of you make very good points, that I will think about.

#5 Atieno, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two of the main reasons that people engage in affairs are:

1) he isn't satisfied with the person that he is in his marriage.

2) impending mortality: I guarantee you that, at his age, these are thoughts that will not go away, he desperately does not want to end up with a mis-lived life

He may say he loves her, but it is probably also true that he loves the life that he has with her. The consequences and costs of a breakup this late in life are indeed devastating.

Like many of us, myself included, he tried to be "normal", he tried to live up to societal expectations and married when he shouldn't have. Yes, in a sense he is a victim of the times he grew up in, but this does not excuse his refusal now to confront the truth that he is discovering about himself, with you along for the ride. Your compassion is commendable, and he is discovering that it goes beyond sex, that is a good thing, but all the more damaging to his current married relationship. Giving him support just enables him to avoid some unpleasant realities, it will in no way help him out of this situation, and it will most certainly not help you.

Esther Perel gives an excellent talk on understanding infidelity, I highly recommend it:

https://www.ted.com/talks/esther_perel_rethinking_infidelity_a_talk_for_anyone_who_has_ever_loved

7. Atieno

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you Whale, I'll watch the video.

I think a lot of what you said has merit. My partner is an incredibly successful gent. Head of his field, affluent and well known within public fields, academia and the media; and his wife is very much part of the "same set" of people; a well respected academic.

I have no doubt that the life they have together is one that he loves; as it is filled with a high degree of luxury, prestige and respect from peers. Many people would find it enviable.

I am sure the effect honesty would have upon not only his finances and lifestyle, but also the impact upon his public facing persona would be huge and is definitely part of his consideration.

This is all somewhat out of my frame of reference though; as I come from a very different socio-economic background and although an academic myself, I'm in no way running about in the same high powered circles he mixes in.

8. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is all the more dangerous for you, not only in terms of the power imbalance, but also because it is in all likelihood part of the seduction.

9. Atieno

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, that part of his lifestyle doesn't interest me. That's not to say he doesn't interest me or what he does for enjoyment doesn't interest me, (we both have very similar interests in the arts, sports, outdoor activities and the like) but the trappings of affluence and influence aren't something that appeals to me or stimulates me. They are much more incidental to who he is and considering that I'm fiercely independent they don't really have any baring on me, no matter his marital status. (My partner's tend to be academic high achievers, as I'm attracted to confident, older, academic types)

The fact he's driven, confident, charismatic and massively intelligent are major attractions for me, his success doesn't really interest me; mostly I see it as an extra bar to him accepting change in his life; as without his public position, he may well consider himself more free to change, with less to lose.

I think a lot of our mutual attraction is based on the fact that we are both driven and come from strong academic backgrounds and thus have alot of that in common.

Also just to make it clear, I'm aware that many people can see younger guys with older fellas and assume it to be some kind of monetary allure or the mystery of a different more luxurious lifestyle, however I'm a postgrad myself, starting out on a very well respected career path, so I don't desire nor need a sugar daddy, as in time my income will match his, and I pro-actively avoid high society out of personal choice and discomfort, not out of necessity.

I'm not meaning to sound defensive above and nor am I trying to make it appear that I think that's what you suggested Whale, as it isn't; but just going forward I thought I would make it clear for anyone who read the thread, that that isn't what's happening here.

10. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Atieno

I have a few thoughts

Why haven't you told him that you love him? That might help to clarify the situation. Of course this could backfire and create more confusion if he says it back.

This seems like a red flag that his priority is protecting his prestigious lifestyle and constantly reminds you of it.

Great - you should not allow yourself to be used this way!

People who discover their bisexuality late in life face a number of challenges. There is an incredible cost to dismantling one's straight life, so there needs to be certainty that it's the right course before pulling the trigger. A supporting BF who loves and supports me would make the transition easier for me, especially if there was mutual interest in an ongoing relationship. I'm concerned that may not be the case here, unfortunately.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^I agree with you, I didn't mean to imply nor did I assume, that his financial status was the motivating factor in your relationship, the seduction I spoke of is more that he has a strong character and personality that can lead to the trappings of success that he enjoys and that can quite heavily influence his decisions regarding what to do about all of this.

Nevertheless, this very same strong character can be quite influential, and can blind you both to the reality of this situation.

12. Atieno

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @ Greatwhale, thanks I agree with you and as I said I got mostly what you meant, but felt I should clarify just incase others read into my words, things that weren't meant.

@ Sienna: in response to your very valid questions-

* In relation to saying I love you: I haven't told him as I'm letting him set the pace. I'm trying to respect boundaries and not push him faster than he might be comfortable with, thus instead if he says he loves me, I will happily say it back. I'm not particularly great at hiding my affections, so I'm sure he is well aware that I'm falling for him and equally I can see him getting comfortable with the idea of being in love with another man. I know this all sounds very woolly, but ultimately him saying "I love you" potentially complicates his life, vastly more than it does mine and thus I'm happy to let him take point on that choice.

*I should clarify about priorities, as I could have phrased that poorly: it's more that he mentions his wife quite a lot, which I'm unused to in circumstances of this nature. Normally the gent is reticent to mention his spouse as it's uncomfortable to mention ones wife to ones boyfriend. Sentences like "we went on holiday...", "we shop here...", "my wife has a sister who lives there..." and general anecdotes about the pair of them are somewhat common place. They are spoke with a great deal of affection and warmth and I'm not really sure how to interpret it. I'm not sure if sharing these stories is him reaffirming his priorities to me, or if its a man sharing stories about his past which includes someone he loves who's happened to take up a lot of his life. Personally I feel it might be some combination of the two, but I agree: definite red flag.

* As for not being used. Thank you. I really am strong enough to walk away if that's genuinely what's best, (and I genuinely see and agree with alot of Whales points) but on the flip side I am coming at this as a man who has never had to make these choices and I don't feel equipped to judge anyone on it. Additionally my partner is experiencing massive changes to his personal values and what hes comfortable with; hes allowing himself to be seen publicly with a man at social events, not something he ever envisioned, he's wants to go on dates, he wants to sleep over and he sends messages that are vastly more romantic than sexual in nature. This is indicative of someone redefining internally what it is to like men and expanding that beyond the sexual and for me to go "sorry, I'm off as I think your initial statement about not wanting to change your life, despite your life changing naturally since you met me, will stand forever and I'll be left waiting for you stuck in limbo, thus im off" might actually be massively damaging to his perception of what it is to have gay tendencies and to allow yourself to care for another man. At the very least it feels like an emotional slap in the face to someone who is only just learning to drop his self imposed barriers with another man.

I also know many men who emerged from straight relationships after decades of marriage, as they happened to find the right guy, who supported them through defining themselves anew and it gave the married man the impetus to be be upfront and honest, knowing that they weren't chancing loneliness aswell and that they had mutual love and affection with another person, who would stand by them through it and many of these men were adamant at first that they had no intention to change their lives. (I'm aware that's not noble, as one shouldn't hedge ones bets in that manner but I still think its quite human to act when you have cause and to postpone when you don't, as is the desire to not do something so hard without the emotional support of a loved one)

* As for mutual interest... I suppose that's the great unknown. I can only say I think he is falling for me too, as his actions are not what I have come to expect from a married man wanting to scratch a physical itch. He proactively goes out of his way to be romantic and to offer dates despite me offering more physical based meets so as to simplify his life and it is him that seems to be the driving force behind changing the boundaries of our relationship.

In closing I will say I am not defending my relationship, as I dislike people who ask for help and then argue when they don't get the answer they want but thus far all 3 responders have listed some very valid and yet very different points and each are reflecting very different view points. I think every last one of you have very valid opinions and it is all giving me much to consider.

To a degree Whale reflects my inner most fears and the pragmatist in me, where as sienna to a degree reflects my hopes that actually things could work out amicably either way (if he stays or goes) mostly depending on if we have mutual understanding and honesty and if that's enough to get us through. Whereas head reflects the very honest advice of not to play head games or to put oneself in competition.

All of these points are very valid and give me much food for thought and I really am grateful to each of you for taking the time to offer your insight, advice and help.

13. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish you all the best as you wrestle with these questions. I see your point about supporting his transition from the exclusive desire for sex to something deeper, this happens and it is indeed life-changing. My only caution to you is to be brutally honest with yourself. As Perel quotes in her TED talk, all love is really an exercise of your own imagination, it is not necessarily about him, but about what you imagine him to be.

If you are offering support in his transition and concerned that he can do this with your help, just how much support is motivated by your (hopefully unconditional) love for him and how much of it is in the hope that if he should ever decide to change his life, you will be there for him?

I speak out of sincere concern for you, and I hope that I have not come across as a stern and moralizing "school-marm", you are dealing with a very complex and frankly overwhelming set of circumstances, I speak from his perspective and I have a pretty good idea of what he is going through; there are many pitfalls to avoid, yet I do believe you have the fortitude and intelligence to navigate this quite well!

14. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got the sense these were a form of power play based on your original phrasing. This additional detail makes this less of a red flag, but it's hard to tell without hearing the conversation in context. My married FWB and I share details of our lives as a form of emotional intimacy, so your BF could be doing the same thing.

As an underview, I get the sense you are overly concerned with this chap's coming out experience - it may be helpful if you time box things lest you get strung along. greatwhale makes a few excellent points as well in regards to this topic.

#14 SiennaFire, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gay translation of "discreet"- I want to use you. If my lips are moving I am lying.

I have nothing to do with "discreet" as I have too much self respect to be used like that.

I would not believe a discreet word for a second. I would not want a third guy being discreet with my partner so why do it myself.

This is a choice not an inevitability.

16. Atieno

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sienna and Whale; you're right.

Fixating on if he comes out, doesn't help him define himself in his own time. Being a supportive partner is about being there for him in what he needs in the moment and how he comes to accept himself, rather than hoping he defines himself in a way that I want him too, which could further our relationship.

So being there for him while he works out who he is can be an act of unconditional love by accepting his journey and supporting him through it, rather than being hopeful that he makes the choices I secretly want him to make.

Time gating that period though is very wise, with a clear point where I accept "well at this point I walk away." As it removes from it a sense of wasting ones time and being hurt by ones hopes for the future never being met. As ultimately the time spent, will time be spent helping someone I love discover what its like to love a man, which has its own inherent worth, regardless of whichever resultant self identification and life choices he may make.

Thank you guys. You're completely right. In my distress I was losing sight of what it means to help and support someone come to terms with who they are and open parts of themselves to another person. That it is not about him making choices I feel are right for us, but supporting him in making informed choices that he feels are right for him, the life he wants and the people he loves. That are fair and considered for all those involved.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me, this is the best demonstration of love there can be: no conditions, no pressure, just being there for him is the best you can do, for both of you.