1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Told a guy I had feelings for him, now feel like an idiot.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Damien, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've gotten to know this guy over a period of many weeks, and since we seem to get along well I invited him over for a movie, pizza, etc which went really well. Over the course of the evening, I seemed to have my suspicions that he is GLBT confirmed (turns out he's bi like me) and it was truly wonderful to make another real-life GLBT friend. We spoke about the journey to acceptance, teenage crushes, etc and had a lot of fun with this topic. Anyway, at some stage I felt like I had gotten some sort of signals from him that he liked me, you know, as more than just a friend, and later in the night I ended up confessing to him, that I had feelings for him. You know, as more than just friends. I have to take his somewhat embarrassed surprise and lack of saying the same back to me, that he does not share this, and now I feel like an absolute idiot. I mean, what was I thinking? A cute younger guy like him, of course he's not going to want to be sexual with a guy who is considerably older than him, despite the fact I look quite young for my age, nevertheless an age gap is there, and I suspect that is an issue for him, maybe? But still, we got along really well and I did say that I'm happy to just be friends, which he appreciated. But I feel so sad now, and feel like I've made a bit of a fool of myself, and am crying like an idiot. It's good to have made another GLBT friend but I guess I will have to keep looking when it comes to a lover. But at least, another 'first' for me: I finally told a guy how beautiful he is. I'd said that to women countless times, but before last night, never to a guy. He appreciated it, and it did feel good.

Anyway thanks for reading my post. I feel like I'm making some progress in that, at least I made an effort. Made an attempt. Even if it failed, it's better to have a go at something, than not to try at all. But I wish I had a tougher heart. I wish it did not feel so humiliating to be so forthright and honest about my feelings, and then to feel like, damn maybe I ought to have just kept quiet about it.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its great that you had the courage to say something to him, because you will need that courage time and time again until you connect with the one that reciprocates. Does it hurt? Of course. But rather than be discouraged, use it as momentum to try again.

Great job in being proactive!

3. Atieno

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really wouldn't assume so much negativity from what happened Damien.

Many younger men (myself for example), like older men and age gaps aren't a thing of consideration. You may well just have caught him by surprise and he may have to consider his feelings more. Equally he may just like you as a friend, but that may be for reasons other than your age. I really wouldn't focus on being in your 40's so much.

If you like younger men it's good to know that as you age, for every younger guy who would no longer be interested due to your age, another younger guy finds people from that age sexy. (I personally don't date anyone under the age of 40 and to be honest I normally date men in their 50's and 60's and that's been true for me since I was a teen)

I have read these forums quite abit and I sometimes get the general impression that many people feel like they squandered parts of their life. I honestly cant comment on that, as I've never lived that life, but it isn't true that your age renders you unattractive or harder to love. Their are men from every age group that find men from every other age group massively sexy.

If it helps at all, most people find confidence in oneself and being at peace with ones self massively sexy and the sexiest older men, are those who embrace their age as a positive thing and not try desperately to appear younger than they are.

(don't get me wrong, the gay world is massively ageist and many people are arses about age, but ultimately you wouldn't want to date those people anyway; so their bigotry just saves you from wasting time)

4. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You did not make a fool of your self. You were simply honest about what you were feeling, and so was he. Sure, it hurts when you are attracted to someone and the attraction is not mutual, but think of yourself on the other side of the fence, if someone were attracted to you but you did not feel the same way about him, you would not want to mislead him by pretending something you did not feel and string him along. It is just the way attraction works. It may not have anything to do with your age, or it may have everything to do with it; "why" doesn't really matter, only that the "zing" isn't there for one of you. But, you still have found a friend you can be comfortable talking openly with about yourself, and that is not the easiest thing to do, so enjoy your friendship, and be proud that you were self-confident enough to take the initiative to address another man openly, and that he was flattered instead of annoyed by your attraction to him. Next time it might be the "right one". Keep trying until you find him.

#4 Yossarian, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Damien, please follow these simple instructions:

Raise your right hand (or left if you are left-handed), swing it over to your left side and pat yourself on your left shoulder. Then say to yourself: well-done, well-done!

You took a chance, you displayed vulnerability, it didn't work out. It doesn't matter, you displayed courage. Be proud, and don't ever let this stop you from doing it again.

6. BeingEarnest

Dear Damien,
    How wonderful, lovely and brave of you to share your feelings with your friend. You are on a journey to being yourself, and this is a step in that direction. Also, I would not take his response as anything more than a response. We sometimes need time to process something we had not considered. Continue to be a friend. At the very least, you both need that. If it turns out to be more- you will both know it. Cheers!

7. MarthRoyIke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This gave me a chuckle. :lol:

@Damien: It's okay. This happens all the time. There's no need to be upset. You must've experienced this at some point when dating women. Rejection is the risk of the reward of a relationship.