1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

opinion please...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Jun 6, 2015.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi all,

Looking for advice. I have become aware of some vigilante acctivity against gays and unsure if I should take action.

First, I do not endorse hook-ups as I believe such activity impairs natural emotional bonding processes which when added to the the trust issues brought on by social oppression amplifies some issues in gay culture.

However, I have become aware of an individual who lures gays to sex in restrooms and steamrooms then calls police. This is a member of city council in a "gay friendly" city.

Is this a hate crime, homophobic crime, a misguided citizen or something else?

Obviously taking advantage of an at risk population. Police must know he is doing this which raises more questions.

Should it be exposed, turned over to media for research, ignore it?

No I di not endorse the behaviour but the entrapment and possible homophobic aspects bother me.

2. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally I don't have a problem with casual hook ups. What consenting adults want to do, and with whom, is totally fine with me. I think there are far worse things in the world than people having casual sex with strangers.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is someone, for reasons one can only guess at, is conducting some sort of bizarre moral purity campaign by entrapment. I don't know what the law is where you are, but I guess there is something like outraging public decency, which is an offence in English law. If I became aware of someone acting like that, I would certainly do something about it, to protect other gay men who might be entrapped. What I would do would depend on the circumstances, I guess. Going to the press would be one option, especially as he is a prominent member of society.

His behaviour is homophobic, certainly. It may be based on some misguided desire to protect people, or some moral outrage, but frankly its none of his business what people get up to, and self-appointed moral vigilante activity is something we can all do without.

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi

I agree. Though my personal experience is the whistle blower is usually hurt most in the process when dealing with politicians.

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2015 at 02:15 AM ----------

Since he uses hook-up apps to lure folks he leaves a virtual trail.

4. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really didn't know that sort of thing went on anymore. It used to be common. Indeed, in England, the police used to do it - entrapping men in public toilets.

How much of a risk you would be taking I cannot know. You will have to judge if you think the personal risk is something you can accept. Could you not approach a senior member of his political party? They might be able to exert discreet pressure on him.

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am far more likely to notify local gay newspaper or overt gay activist.

The one I have in mind... The local gay shelter has a population of gay teens pushed out by family (yeah this is liberal MA) and the director was allowing the teens to be bullied by other straight homeless. Teens informed this activist and director was fired in short order.

NEVER mess with an older drag queen as they will not leave meat on the bone when it comes to LGBT justice. They gave us Pride month.

---------- Post added 6th Jun 2015 at 03:36 AM ----------

Small pockets of activism grew throughout the 1950s and 60s, however the gay rights movement is often though to have begun in 1969 at the Stonewall Bar in New York. It was the only gay bar in New York at that time. It was owned by the Mafia and on June 28th, 1969, the police conducted one of their raids. Raids were common at the time, and if a (gay) women wasn’t wearing at least three items of ‘feminine clothing’, they were arrested. Those in gender opposite clothing were submitted to humiliating ‘gender checking’ and arrested.

This raid, however, did not go as planned, and many, particularly the lesbians and drag queens, began to fight back. Many believe riots were instigated after drag queen Sylvia Rivera threw pennies and quarters at police. Three nights of riots ensued, which included another drag queen, Marsha P. Johnson smashing a police car window with her hand bag.

#5 skiff, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Notifying a local or even a national paper is probably the best way to go. Do u have specific evidence, as that will be requested.

Also, while I have no issue with hookups either, this goes to show why care and consideration need to be made in regards to whom one is meeting, where one is meeting, and doing so safely and legally.

7. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I actually know the publisher of a gay newspaper. With pride month quite an expose'. It would need investigation.

The issue I wrestle is should it be me... I cannot be only person aware of this. Unless he is preying on closeted gay men and they do not make noise...

They will suffer too as their names are exposed.

Not simple morality. Many victims beyond vigilante. Same problem rape victims face.

The justice process can harm victims...

#7 skiff, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  8. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably many of them are closeted gay men. And yes, they will suffer. But they will anyway, when he gets them arrested. By putting a stop to his antics you will save other people from suffering.

Why me? That's a difficult one. I suppose the point is, someone has to act, and if no one else is...

9. bi2me

If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And when I am (only) for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when? -Hillel

10. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^^ This, for starters. Shining the light of information about what politicians are doing on them is what changes behavior, or at least informs other people so they can stay away from the problem areas, and the problem people.

11. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While I find the anonymous rest room scene distasteful, I agree this is a form of entrapment (technically not entrapment since the person is not a member of law enforcement) that deserves to be exposed.

12. BeingEarnest

That does not sound like a vigilante. It sounds like a sociopath. Whatever you do, be careful.

13. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He is a councilor at large and sits on YMCA board. It is the Y's steam room he is luring them to and then calling police.

I saw the sociopath today at the Pride flag raising, my date pointed him out. Evidently the gay population has alerted itself about him. Where he lives, his car, his registration....

14. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stuff of movies.....

Can I buy the rights? :slight_smile:

15. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I'm not quite understanding this scenario. Mr. Public-Minded Citizen lures gay guy to a steam room where he presumably does not engage in sex with him and then calls police to report ... what? Man with boner in steam room? Not illegal as far as I know. In fact, I would venture to say that the police would have to witness an act of gross indecency, or at least have two or more credible witnesses to such an act, to make an arrest. Plus, I think the police would soon weary of repeated calls from this individual. Is there something I'm missing here?

16. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Inapprpropriate touching...

He is a whack job

17. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    His word against gay guy's. The second time he did it, it would be laughed out of court (or the judge might wonder, at least, who exactly is initiating all this touching). Could backfire on Mr. Public-minded Citizen.

In any case, these kinds of internet weirdos are best dealt with, IMO, by reporting them on the relevant web site. People do it on Craig's List all the time.

18. 50ishandout

Skiff, your in Massachusetts if this douche is doing what you say, and I believe you. I'm sure the Boston Globe would love to get this story.

19. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

He needs to be entrapped himself.

I am assured that the gay community is aware of him. I was told that a social media site is being used.