1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!: Coming Out Late and Divorcing with Kids

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SapphicMama, Jun 9, 2015.

1. SapphicMama

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi. I'm almost 40, married to a straight man for almost 17 years, have 2 young children, recently accepted that I'm a lesbian, am in love with a woman, and am in the process of seeking a divorce from my husband, to whom I have come out. Can anyone out there relate to my situation?

2. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC SapphicMama. I haven't been through the same process as you, but you will find lots of members in this part of the forum (LGBT Later in Life) who have been, or are going through it now. Can I encourage you to look through the threads that have been posted here as you may find some useful information and words of hope and encouragement.

3. bi2me

Welcome! Everyone here has been to kind and helpful to me. I hope you find the same.

I'm married 13 years with two kids. I'm not divorcing, but I'm trying to figure out how my new-found bisexuality fits into my marriage. You can read more about my story on my blog.

4. MsAnchor

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    In a similar situation Sapphicmama, I feel you it's a tough transition but do what makes you happy. I ve been married for almost 12 years kids and in an unhappy marriage until I realized my sexuality and self esteem issues.

5. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC SapphicMama :welcome:

I can relate. I'm in a similar place. Met with wonderful LGBT divorce attorney on Monday, and she suggested that I engage a family therapist to help with coming out to my wife and son. This will be a difficult journey; however, I am embracing my true self and finding acceptance and peace.

6. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome, SapphicMama. I was just past 50 with two teenage daughters when I decided I couldn't bury myself any longer. It's been challenging and hadn't been without sone heartache, but in the end it's worth it, and things can go far better than you would think. And even if it gets dicey, if you think in the long-term you can get through it. I joined EC about 2 years ago, trying to decide if I should come out to my wife or just divorce her and live my life. I ended up telling her and then the kids, and we just had our court date last week. The kids are ok with it and she and I are coming to grips with the change in, but not end of, our relationship. It can be done! And the end everyone has the chance to be much happier. Good luck!

7. floridagal1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Good luck. Stay proud and strong.

8. Littlesunn

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi and Welcome!

Yes, in the same boat. Married straight even though deep down I knew I was at the very least Bi. I have had an experience with a woman once, (during one of the many splits with my ex husband) but ran back to my husband scared stiff of the feelings I was having. Decided to try to make it work, had a daughter, and now 12 years later trying to get a divorce.

Its been a tough couple of years, but stay strong and focused on what you want and need to live happy.

Not been here long, but they seem to be a nice bunch

9. Mocha

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can completely relate! Sounds very similar to me! Find some of my past threads if you want tbe full story, but I'm coming thru the other side, in a fab relationship with the most amazing woman and despite all the background "noise" going thru a divorce, I'm so happy and content within myself. You're on the road xx