1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cosmic sign of hope? Or cruel cosmic joke?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BMC77, Jun 11, 2015.

1. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As whined about recounted before, I've been going through a not-very-good time. This week, one problem--social isolation--actually took a turn for worse if that's possible. I had been attending a certain event in my area. (I won't specify the event due to the EC "no chance of real world contact" rule.) It had been interesting, plus it gave me a chance for interacting with others. It had been slated to run through the summer. But, as of this week, it has been put on hiatus. Probably until September. I guess I understand the reasoning: attendance is likely to be low. But it leaves me frankly devastated. This event had been my last hope of making a friend this lifetime. I'm now reduced--once again--to contact with other people that begins with that immortal question: "Paper or Plastic?" And it was something to do that got me out of my day-to-day rut. With it gone, summer has become a warm, sunny 3 month long wasteland. It's not like I have summer activities planned--between social isolation and poverty, I'm left with few options.

Last night, I went grocery shopping. And in the store, I found a small, laminated card lying on the floor. I picked it up. It was, apparently some sort of spiritual figure of significance to someone. I am guessing a Catholic saint. Was this a sign of hope from the universe? Then...I noted that this person was somehow connected to "impossible causes" or something like that... Which raises the question: sign of hope, or just plain cruel cosmic humor at work?

2. bi2me

I'm sorry the event has been cancelled. It sounds like a major disappointment. I hope you are able to find something else to fill the void. (*hug*)

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't worry he will succeed.

Every second of every hour offers oppurtunity.

4. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Forget about the card you found. It is irrelevant. Social isolation requires social action. Even if your summer plans had fully materialized, it isn't likely you would have found a friend anyway. No one event will likely to be THE solution to your isolation. That's just something you have to accept. But a series of events back to back will have a much higher chance of being fruitful. So open up that calendar app of yours and fill it with activities. They don't have to be gay activities but if you are selective you can increase your chance of meeting someone gay. A social event at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship, fundraiser for a democratic candidate, or get together for ACLU, those are probably not a bad choices. But you may not want to not waste your time at the Moose Lodge or an evangelical potluck. You get the idea. Good luck! Keep up the good work.

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, everyone!

Yes, I'm aware that one weekly event was, at best, seriously limited in the ability and chances of helping me connect with someone. But, it's still a loss, because I liked the event. Plus it had some real strengths:
    • People attending had a general interest in common
    • Free
    • Event size was introvert friendly
    • The event gave a chance after for interacting with others. The value of this cannot be overstated; a lot of events, I notice that the minute it's over people are bolting for the door.
    • Event recurred weekly, thus allowing a chance to see the same people. Chance of connecting seems better over time than a 5 minute one-time-only meeting over coffee at some one-time event.
    • This may not be relevant, but the person in charge of the event is a WA outsider, and knows just how :***: grueling this :***: area is when it comes to connecting with others ("Seattle Freeze").
    • Price was $0/week
    • Oh, did I mention it was free? :lol:

I'll keep an eye out, of course, for things that I might do, but don't have a lot of optimism for anything that meets my current situation will come along.

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2015 at 06:49 PM ----------

And yes, before it comes up...I am aware of a certain web site that allows people to start groups that allow people to meet others who have similar interests. I won't use the name, since I'm not sure that the site is acceptable for EC security, but the name has "Meet" (plus another word) in the name.

In any case, I have explored said site regularly, and for my immediate area, little turns up that will work. And when something does turn up that might work, there is usually a problem, like the book discussion group that is only open to women. Or the group that is only open to 20 year olds, and 44 year old wrecks like me need not apply. Or...

I could start a group, I suppose, but am not inspired, not a leader, and not in the mood to gamble my limited money.

---------- Post added 11th Jun 2015 at 06:51 PM ----------

Should have said that I'm not sure that the site name is acceptable for EC policies.