1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Gever, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Gever

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello.

Im 49yo.
    Im single but never came out even though I don’t really have a good reason why I didn’t and why, when asked (and at almost 50 iv been asked plenty of times) - I denied.
    I know for sure that all the people that surround me wouldn't care and will support me and love me. And i do mean ALL. Can't think of even one that would have a problem with this.
    I should feel lucky...but...
    Somehow, the issue of my sex life never comes up anymore with family and friends and its like a "quite agreement" that this issue is "not talked about". No one try's to set me up any more. it did happened today, but still its rare :slight_smile:. I share every other aspects with a lot of them but there is a "don't ask don't tell" policy that governs my life..

I was fine with it all these years. I didn’t really feel I was suffering and since I never fell in love and only had sexual connections – there was no need to change.

Now I feel its time. I don’t know why – but I had enough.
    And even though im sure everyone will be happy for me..im terrified (or mortified - whats the difference???).

I hate the idea of people feeling sorry for me ("poor guy, lived all these years in a lie"), and hate the idea of having to explain to my close friends why I never said anything.
    I guess people are not stupid, and assume that a 49yo single man, never to be seen with anyone romantically – is gay.
    still those 2 things are scaring me. (Well there is another issue but not ready to share yet)
    I know I shouldn’t change a lie with a lie – but …still trying to think of a way not to come out pathetic/wretched/forlorn/ miserable (dictionary options...) since I really didn’t have any reason not to come out all these years.
    I know it might sound childish – but it makes me...don't know... Ashamed, vulnerable, hysterical....

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey Gever, baruch ha ba (welcome) to EC!

Even without obstacles, change is scary, and all the more so when one has lived a while in a certain way.

You seem to be quite preoccupied by what others think. Yes, if you decide to take the leap, people will notice...for a while. But what you will notice is how fast they will forget. Most people have urgent lives to go back to, your coming out will be yesterday's news very quickly, but you will be out and that is what is important.

So maybe I can tell you what it is to come out after so long, because I am in my mid-fifties and only came out to myself a little over two years ago.

Being on this side of gay, I have made more new friends than in the last 20 years when I was married, I have taken on some tasks in the LGBT community, and I have become myself. I am happier than ever before, I am a different and better person in so many ways.

Don't delay, there is no longer any reason to remain hidden, becoming yourself is probably the scariest thing you could do, it requires letting go of any previous ideas you may have had about who you are, even though you may have known you were gay for a long time. Just giving yourself permission to be who you are will open doors you never thought were closed.

B'hatzlachah! (good luck!)

3. Gever

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow.
    Didn't imagine such a quick and welcoming response. Toda (thanks).

I have plenty of good friends, that more than once in my life, proved themselves as such.
    Its really only the sexual issue, that even when it did rise, i managed to dissolve. I got very very good at it.
    Its not about what they will say. Its about how i feel.
    Married ppl who come out have the family as an "excuse" (if not for others, to themselves).
    I have nothing but my own fucked up brain.
    Im truly surrounded (family, socially, work) by open, liberal ppl. I know for a fact that there will be no repercussions from coming out.
    And, I live in one of the most gay friendly cities in the world (i know it's surprising but true. Well... As long as u r a jew :icon_sad: ...but i will leave that to other forums).

And still ... I never did came out and always denied.

Ppl will ask why.
    What do i answer them?...what do i answer myself????????

Not wanting to sound argumentative (i do that with my self too much anyway), im just not sure i explained or expressed myself well in the first message.

4. bi2me

We're Jews... Isn't it in our nature/upbringing to be argumentative? :dry:

So why did you wait? Were you unaccepting of yourself? Did you just not feel ready? Lots of people say that they didn't come out until the fear/pain of doing it eclipsed the fear/pain of living in the closet.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe there is no question that needs an answer, your need to come out is now more urgent, possibly because when we reach a certain age, our mortality becomes a little more real. This compels many to action when before there was a certain comfort in the status quo. Yes, even a skill at "dissolving" certain questions can become a habit, but truly, people don't care that much, which is a blessing.

What's important is that it is the past, it is gone and requires no explanation. You may be better served by a focus on the future, on possible relationships, on living your life as you are. That is plenty enough to distract you from thoughts about the whys and the past.

6. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gever

Welcome to ECs.
    Referencing your age, respondents age, my age (50’s) we all grew up during a time when homosexuality was wrong. This caused massive internal / unknown trauma. There are massive side effects to trauma. Research them. (I have in books about gay shame and on https://www.psychologytoday.com a web sight I dearly love.)

You write: I know I shouldn’t change a lie with a lie, My terse response: no it’s not a lie, it’s called survival and it called shame and its called trauma. Cause, effect. The effect in your case is shame and calling it a lie. The cause was society and more which is beyond the scope of this message.

You write: Ashamed, vulnerable, hysterical.... My response: cause, effect. You have been taught shame. You are behaving as you have been taught. I suggest you try a technique I read about, and currently using myself, in psychology books/blog(s), called positive image reinforcement. Print out a picture of someone you like, preferably non nude or sexual (the purpose is not to get you excited), put up where you see it often and say to yourself over and over when you view said pic, “my attraction to this person is OK”. There’s more about this technique online.

You write about what others think. My response: I feel this is the shame dragon again. Watch out the dragon has massive teeth and breaths fire. Once you convince yourself there is no shame for how you were born, my guess is, you will not care what others think.

I tell myself when I say many of the things you write, I can’t drive (live my life) by looking in the rear view mirror.

Greatwhale writes: Being on this side of gay, I have made more new friends than in the last 20 years when I was married, I have taken on some tasks in the LGBT community, and I have become myself. I am happier than ever before, I am a different and better person in so many ways. My response: thats encouraging. Thanks.

Write on my wall any time. I’m with you dude.

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2015 at 07:39 AM ----------

Gever. If you are the technical type you might want to check out the book - reference link below. There are other books too. Hit me up for suggestions if interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Out-Sh...pebp=1434638187759&perid=1DDCH6K0M0665WTKEPE8

7. Gever

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Again, I'm overwhelmed that you ppl take the time and effort to help.
    It's nice.

As to the mortality issue that Greatwhale mentioned - im sure thats a major part of it (+lost my mother to cancer last year).

As to the shame... Yes. I guess that would be a good definition that sums up most of it.

i know I'm a victim of the "dark times". But, for reasons i can't explain (greatwhale: im not sure the past doesn't require explanations or at least it's easier said than done)- i kept on being a victim even when my surrounding became "ideal".
    (I know i sound weird describing my surrounding in such total certainty but take it as u will- i do live in a situation a closeted person can only dream of. Thats what makes it even worse! The shame of being ashamed.
    I know i should look ahead and not back, not caring about what ppl say, and even when writing here my words seem strange to me (like: what the hell r u blabbering about. Go and live!)...but...don't know...just trying to fined a "classier" way to go about it.
    Yes. Im ashamed.

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2015 at 10:06 AM ----------

Again, I'm overwhelmed that you ppl take the time and effort to help.
    It's nice.

As to the mortality issue that Greatwhale mentioned - im sure thats a major part of it (+lost my mother to cancer last year).

As to the shame... Yes. I guess that would be a good definition that sums up most of it.

i know I'm a victim of the "dark times". But, for reasons i can't explain (greatwhale: im not sure the past doesn't require explanations or at least it's easier said than done)- i kept on being a victim even when my surrounding became "ideal".
    (I know i sound weird describing my surrounding in such total certainty but take it as u will- i do live in a situation a closeted person can only dream of. Thats what makes it even worse! The shame of being ashamed.
    I know i should look ahead and not back, not caring about what ppl say, and even when writing here my words seem strange to me (like: what the hell r u blabbering about. Go and live!)...but...don't know...just trying to fined a "classier" way to go about it.
    Yes. Im ashamed.

8. 50ishandout

Gever,

Congrats. Best thing I ever did was get out of that dam closet. The air is much better outside of it. We 50ish folk grew up in a different time. Wasn't hip to be queer. I can only speak from my experiences over the last couple of months, every fear I had was all in my head. People have been so loving and supportive. I've laughed, hugged, and cried with family and friends.

I'm hoping that your "Coming Out" will be as great as mine has been. Life is to short no to live and love how you want to.

Welcome to the outside.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get it: the shame of being ashamed...oy vey!

My condolences on the loss of your mother. These shattering moments do have a way of waking us up, even when we don't want to.

There are several classy ways to come out; some involve humour, some involve a difficult conversation, some involve literally coming out of a closet, or playing a coming out video. You may want to organize a coming out party with your family and friends (come out to them first!), mainly so that you can demonstrate to everyone that you are still the same and that you want to celebrate your deepening self-discovery.

But let's address this shame; no one does it better than Brené Brown:

Brené Brown: Listening to shame | TED Talk | TED.com

One thing that bears examination; sometimes being a victim has a kind of comfort all its own. And even though there is not chance you will be victimized for being who you are, in the environment you live in, you may be clinging to the possibility of being a victim to justify remaining hidden. This reminds me of those Japanese soldiers who stayed in the jungles despite the war having ended and who were discovered years, even decades later. The closet can be like a suffocating jungle but it has the benefit of avoiding the temporary discomfort and embarrassment of finding out the "war" is over, long after it has been won.

10. Gever

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You are all very nice.

i can sum up all your advices (not only to this thread...) in 3 words: "just do it".

Needless to say that - telling a raged person to "calm down", to the nice lady that doesnt feel welcomed anywhere (see queer event thread) to "try to go up to ppl and speak with them", to an elderly (..) hysterical closeted person to "just do it" - though im sure is full heartedly, isnt usually an applicable advice...

How ever, just talking about it here with ppl who are actually taking the time to "listen" (free of charge!!!:slight_smile: , ppl who will never meet you and yet make you feel accepted, ppl that "been there done that"... Is a true therapeutical surprize.

I must add that this is the first forum i ever posted in.

Anyway, I've decided to go on with it.
    Thursday. My business partner and friend (and the easiest for a whole bunch of reasons).
    I will report.

So thank you for your advices, but much more, thank you for your kindness and for letting me babble about my self.

[befor "sending the msg to print" (f*** im old) a clarification is in order: im NOT influenced by commercials or slogans :slight_smile:].

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy that you have decided to come out!

The outside of the closet: it's everything they said it is! :grin:

Best of luck!

P.S. Don't forget to lock that closet door behind you, and to throw away the key!

12. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Welcome.

You will soon realize everybody already guessed and the only person you are fooling is yorself. That should make it easier. :slight_smile:

The families "don't ask, don't tell" policy may not change either but if you rank; a) open dialogue, b) blind eye, and c) grief... Take "b" or better and run with it. :slight_smile:

Do you see the dichotomy here;

You finally see. You are ready.

All the best.

13. BeingEarnest

Welcome to EC!

I am also coming out late in life. It is not easy. The hardest part is accepting myself. Coming out is a process of stepping through my fears- not hiding from or avoiding them. It is a accepting the truth as it is, not as I wish it to be. By closing myself off- from myself Nd others- I shut out the possibly of being loved fully.

Now that I am coming out more and more (and it does get easier) I feel more open to loving and being loved- by family and friends, and by another man.
    Coming out has helped me to move past the shame and see the beauty of life in a new way.
    I wish you well.

14. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've also just started to come out, in the last month. I'm still not completely sure why I didn't do it earlier. One reason was fear of what people would think. I now know that was silly. Some of my friends already suspected I was gay, some had no idea, but all were of the same mind. They have said, "you are still the same person you always were, nothing has changed". Its been very liberating and I'm so glad to have started the process. I don't think anyone is going to care why you waited so long to tell them. Good luck on your coming out, I think you'll find it is definitely worth it.

15. Gever

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi. Thanks.
    I decided to do it and i WILL.

But...

I am terrified
    I am ashamed.
    I am not even sure I fully accept my self.
    I do feel pathetic to "admit" to something so many times bluntly denied.
    I am sure all my surrounding will accept and support but im sure some or most will ask why didnt you say something all these years
    I am sure everyone assume i am gay anyway (which makes me feel even more stupid).

Still... I will do it.
    The frustration is worse. I feel like a "suicide bomber," but in the good way. (I do understand that the metaphor might suggest i Should seek help in other forums as well..:icon_wink:icon_sad:

Im just tired of hiding and pretending and worse of all: the stagnation of my life.
    If i have to suffer all those feelings (even if they are only self inflicted), in the process or to at least start ANY process ...than so be it !

[Hope the above implied self confidence will still be there on D day ...:slight_smile: ]

16. bi2me

Good luck!

17. Gever

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well.. I said I would and i did.
    1 down, who knows how many to go....

I told my business partner. We took a spa day in the Dead Sea. As expected, it was a "non issue". Actually, maybe it was overly non issue. Its funny. I dreamt of it being like that with everyone but now im not sure he realizes what a huge moment it is for me or in my life.

I was overwhelmed with emotions but he - though caring, accepting and cool about it - didn't understand what the big fuss is about. [He ls a very sexually opened straight person with friends that are lesbians, gays, trans, goes to bdsm parties , dance raves (I'm the nerdy part of the business :icon_bigg .... I know for him its "nothing" but for me ... Its a day with tremendous significance.

I feel drained. Not happy yet, not sad just drained.

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! This merits a triple-banana! (!) (!) (!)

You will find that this is most people's reaction. They will acknowledge, probably accept and then promptly forget about it within 24 hours and get back to their urgent lives.

...and that is how it should be. :eusa_clap

19. bi2me

Congratulations! I think it can be hard to deal with that kind of reaction, even when it is the 'right' one. When you finally share something of significance, especially something hard to share, you feel as though the earth moved... When other people react with business as usual, it can feel anticlimactic.

When I came out to my husband (again - you can read more on my blog), his reaction was essentially, "yes, I know, so what?" Not quite in those words, but in my moment of hysteria/crisis, it didn't feel as supportive as I think it was intended to be.

20. 50ishandout

It truly gets better. Congrats on this milestone.