1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age Difference

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by 50ishandout, Jun 18, 2015.

1. 50ishandout

For those that are in relationships, what is the age difference between you and your partner. At times I think I'd like to meet a guy my age to be with. Someone I can relate to as a contemporary. Other times I think it may be fun to be with someone younger to experience other interests.

What are your thoughts?

2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We're 11 years apart, although our attitudes and values are so similar that you'd probably never guess it. We were attracted to each other because we felt like we finally found someone who "got" us, so the age difference has never been relevant.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    17 year age difference here. And he is definitely more mature than me! Someone once told me the rule of thumb after a mid life divorce is to take your age, divide it in half and then add seven to get to the appropriate age for a second spouse. I think this is some type of "inside joke" amongst my professional peers. Gay or straight, it seems to work :slight_smile:

(and for some reason, my father seemed to fit this bill in his "Third" marriage as well)

4. Richie.

I heard a rule once that you should double your age and subtract 11

But my partner is ten years older than me and I've never felt a difference. Age is just a number of you connect it doesn't matter

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Too funny....we posted at the same time. I think I like my number better!:roflmao:

Separately, my partner and I went to an LGBT related dinner last week, at our table sitting next to us was a couple that were about 25+ years apart, and they looked as happy as can be.

#5 OnTheHighway, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  6. Night Rain

Hm... I thought it was 7. If you're the younger one, subtract 7 from your age and then double it. For the older one, Half the age then add 7.

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner is five years older than I am but people often think he is slightly younger than I.:lol:

8. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Age differences can be a good thing or a bad thing. Primarily it all depends on the person, I've met 30 year olds that are way more exciting than 23 year olds. It's much more about finding someone that you connect with and that's on relatively the same page as you. You can both be 23, but if one consistently parties while the other is a homebody - it probably won't work out well.

There's nothing mentally or emotionally healthy about a 30 year old dating a 19 year old. Which is an 11 year difference. However, if someone is 41 dating a 30 year old, that isn't a big deal, or a deal at all for that matter. If you're between the ages of 18-21 and figuring your life out - it's best to stick with someone who's within 4-5 years of your age range. Otherwise, love is love.

9. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My BF is 3 years older than I. He used to date younger guys following the age/2 - 2 rule. While his ex was gorgeous, he wanted substance. Just saying....

While he is different from what I thought I was looking for, it feels right. So I will roll with it.

I love this journey of discovery.

#9 SiennaFire, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LOL

Brings to mind that old movie quote; "Badges! We don't need no stinking badges!". Only it applies to an age difference. :slight_smile:

People with chemistry click. Looking beyond the chemistry...

11. PrairieRachel

If it feels right...go with it. :slight_smile:

12. guitar

For me personally, age similarity matters. I'd rather be near the same age because it keeps our maturity level, experiences and life references more or less in check. My own bf & I are about a year apart.

With that said, I have zero issues with other people having an age difference, if it works for you, who cares? My grandparents are 10 years apart & have been in love for 50 years. Happiness is much more important.

13. Wildside

Wildside Guest

hmmm, I don't know that I could really get much out of relationship with a 107-year-old guy. but hey, if he can still get it up, who knows?

14. Night Rain

:roflmao: I literally LOLed.