1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Found accepting church

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by jojam, Jun 21, 2015.

1. jojam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was visiting another city and looked for a church to attend. I googled for churches that were LGBT friendly and found one that not only was accepting of LGBT, but publicly proclaimed it to the point that their website, flagpole, and church sign had the rainbow flag on it. I've gone twice now. I was wrestling with how my bisexuality conflicts with my Christian background.

While, I may have some more reading and internal searching to do, it felt great to be in a Church environment that accepted LGBT (there were gay couples there), and didn't shun me. While I didn't exactly come out to anyone there, I made it very clear that I came to their church because they were accepting of LGBT. I later went to a LGBT restaurant (they had a drag show on) and again, felt very comfortable.

I am enjoying this business trip because it is allowing me to visit places that are LGBT. I wanted to do this to see how I would feel, since I have never had the opportunity to fully explore my feelings. Based on these good experiences, I will start going to LGBT places when I get back home. I'm recently separated from my wife, so now is the time to become the real me.

I still haven't really came out, but I think that going to these places is a good step towards that process. If I feel comfortable enough to be in the LGBT environment, then the shame and hiding that I always felt is slipping away. In fact I am typing this in a LGBT coffee place, and feel like I belong here. It feels good not to have to hide it.

Little steps, but in the right direction.

2. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    :slight_smile: this is great to hear. I'm glad you're feeling more free to be yourself and feel comfortable. One step and a time (*hug*)