1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transgender vs transvestite?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Jun 25, 2015.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi

I know the difference but names and pronouns and when to use each... Tricky

This is a social pitfall for me. If you know a person is one or other fine, but if you don't know and attire shifts back and forth... Which pronoun? Which name?

I stumble to answer this avoiding the use gender specifics. Is there an answer?

2. PrairieRachel

Hi sweetie...treat us like you would any other person. Labels are so confining and meaningless. Most people also are always evolving as humans we mature, grow and learn...example, my name is Rachel...that's who and what I am. Instead of a designation just ask the persons name and that's what and who they are. Much less awkward for you and them...(((((hugs))))) Rachel :slight_smile:

3. Im Hazel

What Rachel said. But also, if you don't know, just use "they". A MtF cross-dresser will usually not be offended by being referred to as female - they would probably be flattered, but they would probably not be offended by male pronouns either. A transgender lady would be distressed by male pronouns. So, yeah. Asking is the best method. If not, gender neutral pronouns or the pronouns of the gender which they present as are the best options.

4. PrairieRachel

Nothing cuts me to the heart more than being referred to in the male reference ...ouch..

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    But I have multiple names varying genders for same person and they gave me both gender names.

Easy enough when they are present but less so when... "I was talking to (multp choice)..."

6. Im Hazel

Yeah. It's pretty awful.

"I was talking to my dear friend." "I was talking to (name)." "I was talking to them." "We were having a conversation." Just do stuff like that. It's gender neutral.