1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm engaged but

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Mikimii, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Mikimii

I'm a woman and currently engaged to a man. He's very kind and we've been dating for three years. He understands me, or at least what I've given him to understand. The thing is, I'm also sexually & romantically attracted to women. This year, after several years of trying to suppress it, I finally admitted this to myself. I've taken a baby step. I love my fiancé, he's my best friend. I don't know how to even comprehend these feelings I have or even where to begin. I'm in a committed relationship and yet part of me wants to break up, move to a more progressive city and find my lady love. lol. The bigger part of me wants to stay with him forever and to deny these feelings. I will lose a lot to acknowledge them. I keep asking myself, "Am I happy right now?" My answer is usually: I'm content or satisfied but does that equate to happiness? What would you guys do? I feel so grateful to the people in my life but I know in my heart if I explore my sexuality any further I will lose many important people in my life. :tears:

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It took me 19 years to ask myself that same question after getting married. Wish I would have asked that question 19 years ago. But I am happy today.

3. Chicagoblue

Hmmm. Not easy. Any way to experiment a bit? Will that just increase anxiety? Or, will it help you relax a bit knowing that you're attractive to men and women and not you get to choose?

I feel your anxiety, share it.

4. Mikimii

I feel your anxiety, share it.[/QUOTE]

I'm very anxious. I can't experiment. I'm into monogamy and so is my guy. So we'd have to break up....:tears: Also, to go into detail, his ex wife is bisexual. He knew this going in to that relationship. Naturally this would be a yay for me, right? Wrong! Lol. She cheated on him with a woman....twice. :eusa_doh: So this makes it all the more harder for me. However I did tell him I was sexually fluid but....he's thinks I go back and forth from being asexual to heterosexual. Which isn't entirely true as you guys know now. Gosh I really don't want to hurt him. He's been hurt enough. I went into this relationship wanting to protect him from that but wouldn't lying to him be just as bad. I don't want to be like his ex wife who cheated. I want there to be honesty between us. This sucks :tears:

5. FoxSong

It is a tough situation. Honestly, the one thing I would change if I could would be to have figured things out before getting married. As another poster above said, however, I'm far happier now being honest with myself.

6. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The thing is that if you have whatever doubts about getting married you shouldn't get married. If a part of you wants to break up, move to a more progressive city and find your lady love you should listen to that part because it wants to tell you something really important.
    You said that if you explore your sexuality any further you will lose many important people in your life. I don't know if that's actually true because many times people are more accepting than we imagine them to be, but from my own experience I can say that if you don't explore your sexuality any further you will lose yourself so please don't make your decision based on fear. Wishing you all the best. (*hug*)

7. mapleluv

I was engaged to a man, realized I was attracted to women, got the permission to experiment, & once I did realized I wasn't actually into my fiance. So I dumped him 2 weeks before the wedding & came out as a lesbian.

Still don't regret it, I'm pretty sure I avoided making the biggest mistake of my life. You'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did in the end, I think.

8. Danf74

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Mikimii,

I know this is scary, but why not tell him exactly what you told us? Why not tell him you are sexually attracted to women? Why not tell him that you feel a deeper part of you wants to be monogamous with him, but that you think it will be hard?

Here's the thing...you are controlling the situation. He should have some control too. He should be able to look at all the cards and decide what he wants for his life. He may break up with you. Or he may choose to give it a shot. But at least he knows what he's signing up for.

Sometimes to truly love someone is to give them the option of walking away.

I'm a total hypocrite btw, because I kept my attraction to men a secret from my wife for 19 years. Now, we're doing pretty well in spite of my attraction to men. She knows about it, I have never cheated, and 19 years of monogamous bonding makes it actually seem scary to me to look for anyone else (man or woman). That said, I still wish I had the clarity and courage to tell her everything about me before we married. She deserved to have had that choice...I stole it from her.

9. Mikimii

Thank you everyone! I didn't expect to get any replies at all so I really appreciate this! You're all so right. It's not fair to him. My anxiety comes from being guilty for not telling him. I'm still a coward so I'm going to wait a moment more before I tell him the truth. Maybe I'm a control freak but I want to make sure I'm in a good place so I don't get too depressed if we break up. I'm really glad I decided to join this website. :icon_bigg

10. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Mikimii,

Trust me, you definitely want to do this before you get married. I came out to my wife at 51 and that is no fun.

I know you are questioning, but do you have an idea about your own orientation? Do you identify as bisexual or lesbian? Your original post was a little ambiguous on this point :slight_smile:

11. Mikimii

To be honest I'm having a difficult time with that. My sexual orientation. I suppose pan-sexual might be accurate but right now I simply prefer sexually fluid. I guess to elaborate, I'm mostly attracted to women, sexually and romantically and have been for quite some time. However, I can be with a man and I can love him. I'm still a virgin in most respects and have limited sexual experience. (He's not but I'm hung on saving it for the right person, man or woman) This relationship I'm currently in is my first 'real' relationship. It's been lovely these past three years except the fact that I'm having a super hard time suppressing my desire to be with a woman more than ever before. In depth, I honestly don't care if the person I love has a penis or vagina, or once had a penis or vagina, or has neither or both. I just want a monogamous relationship with an adult who I love simply because of their beautiful mind & their wonderful heart. The bod and sex being secondary to the importance of the relationship. I really do lean more towards women though. They're very aesthetically appealing to me and I tend to connect more to them, although I often wonder if my brain is on some masculine wave length cause I can get old mannish in my thoughts. Like a super horn dog. lol. Boobs and lady butts and that glorious honey pot. yayaya. *sigh* I really feel comfortable with just saying sexually fluid at this moment. It's easier for me.

12. bi2me

Hi Mikimii,
    :welcome:
    I am married, and happily so, but I also have attractions to women (one in particular). I would say try to figure out what you really want before you get married. I thought I wanted monogamy for ever, but now I'm not so sure. I'm trying to work through everything with my husband, and I've made a commitment not to cheat on him. You can read more in my blog (so I don't bore everyone who's heard it a million times :slight_smile: ) and let me know if you have any questions or want to chat!

13. Danf74

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I will say this: a husband and wife working through this pain and uncertainty together can be an opportunity to show love in its absolute deepest sense. I stand by my assertion that he has a right to know before he marries.

14. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mikimii

Given the uncertainty about your sexuality, what do you intend to do? I would hate for you to get married and defer the question, only to have it emerge later in life. Better to grab the bull by the horns now. I would encourage you to consider telling your finance before the wedding...much easier than afterwards. Best of luck!

15. Mikimii

Thanks everyone. Just an hour ago I kind of broached the situation. I asked, "How would you feel if I told you I was bisexual?" (I think pan-sexuality might be too much for him to grasp, I have to start somewhere). He said he wouldn't be too comfortable since his ex-wife cheated on him with a woman. Twice. She pretty much set me up for failure. Thanks lady....He said he knew going in she was bisexual but what she did was tell him, ''She changed." Which wasn't the case. He said he didn't want to go there again and quickly changed the subject. *sigh* I also came out to a friend and he was like, "I already kind of knew." Yay! I'm taking baby steps. I'm the cautious type so I won't start running but I envy the people that do. We won't be married until December 2016. I have some time left to choose my path. Self-Discovery or Purposeful Repression.

16. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Can you envision your life without this man? If so, don't marry him.

17. Mikimii

Right now. When I think of him not being with me I feel this deep emotional pain at the pit of my stomach. He's been with me for three years. He's my best friend. Losing him would make me feel so alone. I'm not an easy person to understand but he gets me and that in a person is an invaluable trait. Albeit I don't feel these desires I have to be with a woman and have a loving relationship with a woman should be ignored. I want to acknowledge those feelings and explore them. I realize it's not fair to him. Sweet man that he is. I often feel undeserving of his love and devotion. It's probably true and I'm so ashamed at times when I let my mind wander freely.:icon_sad:

18. SumitaSofat

SumitaSofat Guest

You are not married, still have time follow what you like not what folks like.

19. Mikimii

Yep, that's how I feel right now. I still have some time. It's why I chose to post here and not on some other topic. I wanted to talk with individuals who are/were married and decided to leave the marriage in order to be true to themselves and fair to their former partners. So I can get a better understanding of what my situation might be and learn from these nice people about the hardships I may possibly face. Yesterday I talked with him a little bit more about it and I don't feel nearly as anxious as I did when I kept everything bottled up. I'm really grateful for this website. :icon_bigg

20. FoxSong

Don't be ashamed and DO let your mind wander. This is clearly something you need to explore (*hug*)