1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In Memoriam

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Jul 1, 2015.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings,

This morning at 9:55, my beloved sister, the only one whose father we shared, passed away while I was alone keeping vigil, peacefully and without pain. I noticed that she stopped breathing shallow breaths and then rushed to get the family together while the nurse confirmed that her heart had stopped. I was trembling, which is something I didn’t expect, just spasms of trembling and tears, and each of us holding on to each other, and to her, as if the whole world needed to stop to let us feel this bereavement.

She had been battling cancer since last July. Some of you may also remember that she had contracted HIV/AIDS. This happened in the early nineties, when treatment was not yet proven to be effective…we never expected her to live this long. It affected her eyes, her skin and her body, but it never affected her spirit. She was a fighter to the end.

If I have been a little less present on EC in the past year, it has been because of her struggle: the defeat of chemo- and radiation therapies, coming to terms with dying, coming to terms with losing her. And while she prepared to die, we, myself and our family, prepared ourselves in our own way to endure this loss. I have been reading Roland Barthes’ Mourning Diary, (translated from the French by Richard Howard) a collection of the incongruous fragments of memory that affected his mourning for his mother, and from which I will quote below:

In the past week, we watched her deteriorate; it was more like seeing her vanish slowly, like a sailboat slowly going out to sea, until all one can discern is the top of its mast poking above the horizon. Slowly she started to sleep more, and then she found it hard to find the words she wanted to say, after that she couldn’t swallow anymore, and then she couldn’t speak at all…she just kept breathing; quiet shallow breaths, more automatic than conscious, until this morning when they just stopped.

We never left her body alone, we just waited for the people from the funeral home to pick her up. Two young men, dressed in black with their gurney in tow waited outside for us to say goodbye. When we were done, they entered the room and got her ready. When they were done, a loudspeaker in the hospice requested a moment of respect as she was wheeled out of the room toward the elevator, while we stood in the hallway to see her taken away.

My mother is a nurse, with 8 years of experience working in palliative care, but this experience did not prepare her for the ordeal of watching her daughter die. When death finally came, my 80-year old mother knew exactly what to do, extending her body and keeping her mouth closed until rigor mortis set in. She did this with sorrowful duty…no parent should ever have to do or see that, it is the most unnatural thing imaginable.

And this is the day she chose to die…how can that be? How does one choose to die? I don’t know, but I know that “when” was a choice. She lived in Ottawa, our nation’s capital, just two hours away from here in Montreal, and today is our national holiday, Canada Day, which is a huge celebration. There’s a stage set up on Parliament Hill, acrobatic jets flying overhead, and tonight, some fireworks…she chose a good day: one of celebration and joy. We also had a thundershower, a perfect metaphor for what this day has felt like: joy and tears, laughter and sorrow. I felt as if, for a brief moment, the curtain that hides the truth about life was briefly pulled aside. Her consciousness is no more, and I am left only with the echoes of the spectacle of its disappearance. All around us, city life went on as usual, daylight followed the night, the birds still sang, there were traffic jams because the streets were closed for the festivities…and now the eerie spirit-like light of a full moon shines through my window.

While we waited for the funeral people to take her away, I recited the Kaddish, the Jewish prayer for mourners, I will need to say it each morning for the next 7 days. I am also supposed to have a Shiva: a 7-day period during which visitors will come over to offer comfort. I don’t know if I will do this correctly, but I trust in the wisdom of Jewish mourning to grieve as I can, and need to.

We decided to have dinner together at a restaurant when her room, the one she died in, was emptied of her things. An incident occurred between one of my half-sisters and our mother; hard feelings and hard words like “Never again!” and “How could you?” were said, then suddenly a catharsis, from remembering what happened today…followed by total reconciliation…I have not been this exhausted in a while…

We hear the roar of the acrobatic jets overhead; we have dinner at a restaurant and already talk about my sister and the things she did, or didn’t do. We remember her lament the feeling that she had not accomplished anything…people fear this more than the suffering that death brings: a life ending, but without meaning. But then, if one has loved and has been loved, is that not enough meaning? She loved and was dearly loved.

As of today, the 13-month age gap between us will begin to widen, it seems to me that when someone dies, a whole universe dies with her. My sister was my first playmate, my first companion at the beginning of life; no one knew me better. Her kindness and compassion, her love of life and her devotion to our family were absolute. When I came out to her, the first thing she said was: “I love you”, it was all that needed to be said; it was also the last thing she ever said to me, when speaking was difficult.

I feel joy, not sadness, or is it the bittersweet joy of seeing the completion of a beautiful life? We had 20 more years than we could have dared expect when we heard of her HIV diagnosis. Because she lived, she was able to see her nephews and nieces grow up, she was a doting aunt and big sister to our younger two sisters. I feel gratitude for having known her, and all the richer for it.

Life is short dear readers. A death like this reminds us that it is important to have the right values and to achieve the right things. It reminds us that a mis-lived life is no life at all, and this includes the madly excessive pursuits of wealth and fame, or living in the closeted shadows of unnecessary secrets.

Thank you for reading, I needed to share this extraordinary day…

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't often venture into this section, but I saw this and had to read it. This is a beautifully written post, and I can relate to a lot of it since I have just lost a few family members. It really puts life in perspective when lose people that you are so close to. I'm sorry for your loss.

3. DeJe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Such beautiful words. I'm so sorry for your loss.

#3 DeJe, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  4. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    May her memory be a blessing

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm so sorry! My condolences to you and the rest of the family.

---------- Post added 1st Jul 2015 at 11:33 PM ----------

Very true. My mother died about 20 years ago. In one way, there is huge gap that has formed over the years. I am older, and have changed from a young 20-something man to a 44 year old man. The world has changed.

Interestingly, in my case, there is also a narrowing. Every year I get older, and yet my mother stays frozen permanently at 50-something. Should I live about 12 more years, I will be older than she was at the time of her death.

Very true.
    Thanks for sharing it!

6. Jellal

I could feel the love and gratitude in those words. You're doing right by her.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am sorry for your loss. Your writing is very descriptive, and you'd make a great writer, greatwhale.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry for you. It's very sad to hear, but at least she died with her spirit intact and a loving brother at her side, one who couldn't be better.

You've honoured her memory beautifully.

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm sorry for your loss. Fortunately she has an awesome brother to keep her alive in spirit and memory

10. bi2me

Zichrona livracha: May her memory be a blessing.

I am sorry for your loss. You have written beautifully about the experience, and my heart was with you.

11. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Sorry for your loss.

Death is different than society teaches. It is akin to a balloon losing air silently. One moment comes and something invisible is gone and the reality changes.

12. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am sorry for your loss (*hug*) You've written a beautiful and loving post in her memory that moistened my eyes.

As for your presence on EC, you gave enough of yourself to get me off my derriere (you earned a quote in my sig :slight_smile:), which gave me the strength to come out of the closet and to find my true path in life. Thank you. You made a huge difference in my life.

#12 SiennaFire, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  13. Richie.

Sorry for your loss. Sending you support in your time of grief x

14. Chicagoblue

Wonderful family. So sorry for your loss and the years of pain.

15. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family.

16. Samson

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Really sorry for your loss GW. Will be thinking of you and your family.

Tommy

17. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't imagine the pain of losing someone so close. She sounds like an amazing and special person. Those we love deeply stay with us in their own way, and I hope you feel her beside you when you need her, because she will certainly be there. Love like hers endures.

18. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Kel and I are both so very sorry for your pain, and the sense of loss and loneliness. She sounds like she was a special and beautiful person. I hope that you receive the comfort you need during this period of acute suffering...don't forget to reach out for what you need, as you've started to do here.

19. GayDadStr8Marig

Beautiful, moving tribute to her life as she lives on in you. Praying for you, your mother and your family to have peace in the days ahead.

20. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

Much love and hugs gw. Rose