1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explaining homosexuality to parents

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Jax12, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents still love me no matter what. However, they both aren't very educated in what it means to be gay. It's obvious to us that it simply means same sex attraction, as does straight means opposite sex attraction. But they don't really get it, if that makes sense.

Regardless, I don't blame them, because they don't know any gay people themselves. It's like going to a new restaurant and not knowing the dish you want.

My parents don't know what to say, so where do I begin?

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You could show them this site or any similiar information regarding homesexuality or P.F.L.A.G

3. Lindsey23

There's a book called "Is it a Choice?" It answers a lot of basic questions about gay people. I don't know the author off hand but it could be helpful.

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi

Not sure anybody can "get" the intrinsic.

I am gay, I married a woman, was married 20 years and I don't "get" straight. I simply accept it and assume it is something like gay with a twist.

Thing is... Most people in the majority understand what bigotry and discrimination is but have never felt it, or been on the receiving end of it.

If I told you LGBT discrimination feels little different than discrimination against; addicts, exconvicts, minorities, undocumented immigrants, homeless (you name it) do you feel the connection?