1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surviving the stares and whispers at local gym

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Gratitude, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Gratitude

Good morning! I need to babble about a personal achievement, converse with people who "get it". I am emotional, and happy, and relieved, and grateful! This morning was my first trip out to the local gym, in a very small community with very traditionally focused culture. I had been wanting to join for several years, but just never felt it to be a smart move. Well, since connecting with EC, I decided it was time to take some more proactive steps, and face some fear and discomfort. So, I feel I have all of you to thank for this accomplishment.

So, I've always felt like quite misfit in this community, and sadly, that's been confirmed on many levels. The last few years have been a surrender of sorts, in that I felt safest just staying as invisible as possible, very reclusive.

Well, enough of that. I believe that we can often be our own worst enemies, and I do have the freedom to make different choices. So I took the plunge, and did my morning workout in public. It was an incredible experience. Yes, people stared, they whispered, they gossiped. And I didn't give a shit! I was there for me, my health, my life. It felt like you were all there with me, if that makes any sense at all.

I had a great workout, stayed focused, and walked out at the end feeling like me. I surprised myself. I look forward to going back. Wow. Never thought I had it in me. I like to think that as long as my fluid self was fractured into isolated personas, they were vulnerable. Once I accepted my truth, and allowed myself to be whole and unaltered, I found my strength.

A baby step, yes, but profoundly valuable.

THANK YOU, EC. (*hug*)

2. Van

Van

That's huge, Gratitude!

People always stare and talk, so don't worry about that. :slight_smile:

For whatever reason I feel proud of you! (*hug*)

3. Gratitude

Thank you! You're celebrating with me! I love it! :slight_smile:

4. 50ishandout

Exercise is therapy for the mind and has the benefit of getting us in shape.

5. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    CONGRATS! I am so happy to hear of your progression! :slight_smile:

6. mangotree

Very well done!
    Being a misfit, black sheep, outcast etc.. is something to celebrate.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

7. at my gym there are a few women that are physically female but are quite butch or some that look like they prefer to "present" as male. honestly nobody says anything to them. nobody seems to care. there was one person that looked to be transitioning from MtoF. the person worked out and just focused on their workout. i do not recall anyone saying anything mean. good for you!

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    its great that you got such a positive feeling
    keep at it!!

9. Posthuman666

Awesome! Congrats on feeling great.

10. Gratitude

Thanks all, for such kind support, and for celebrating with me! :slight_smile: It's been another really good experience. These baby steps are starting to add up....

11. BiKate

Well done!! Screw what anyone else thinks, if their lives are that sad that they have to find something about another person to be negative about, that's not your problem!!

Always good to see somebody who feels good enough and comfortable to be who they are :slight_smile:

12. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Biggest therapy is not giving a shit.

Society is sick. Society is a lie. Sooner gay folks (all marginalized groups) realize that and treat society as the leper it is the sooner society will heal.

The message; "Yes, if you belong to a group that stomps on the marginalized you are a social leper and neither you nor the group deserve respect."

13. Gratitude

Thanks again! And, Skiff, you made me laugh out loud, (a very good thing) and I share that view in many ways....honestly, I started to become more and more my self, when I realized the power that lovely little mantra possesses! Slowly but surely, I came to believe it's been the big shiny gold key to personal freedom and happiness. So I'll raise a glass anytime, to "not giving a shit" about what others think of me...Cheers! :slight_smile: