1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living hell

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SiennaFire, Jul 11, 2015.

1. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My life is hell right now. During the week, I job search/network in the morning and afternoon. My wife also expects me to be a house husband and take care of our 12 year old son and cook dinner. When my wife is home, she sucks the life out of me. She is still very upset and negative. Everything that I do is scrutinized under a microscope and challenged. I feel compelled to charge everything lest she imply that I spend money on another man. She is a black hole for positive energy. Even my son is beginning to notice this.

She has not found support other than couples therapy that I arranged for us. She is reluctant to speak to her friends or find a therapist. Because of this I try to be supportive and things quickly unravel. She vents her anger at me. While the homophobic remarks have decreased over time, I’m still called selfish because she feels that I would subject my son to the shame and teasing of others because he has a gay dad. I'm tired of being called selfish because I'm gay. I have to break this pattern.

I can no longer allow myself to be used as a verbal punching bag. She needs to own her own feelings and find another avenue to deal with them.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

2. ArlettBaySB

Out Status:
    Some people
    Fist question on this regards if you're gay and seek for a male companion. Why are you still married to her? No intentions to sound rude and if it sounds like that, I apologize.
    But I'm curious that you remain married even when your wife doesn't seem...supporting.

3. Gratitude

I agree with you, SiennaFire, in that, although your "coming out" may be her perceived source of conflict, she is ultimately always responsible for her own feelings and reactions. This doesn't make things any easier for you, or your child; however, the same applies to you, insofar as you "own" your feelings also, and you have the right to make healthy choices for yourself. As does your son.
    Sounds as if you're being punished for being honest, and although I empathize with anybody experiencing pain beyond their control, I don't believe that truth should be abused under any circumstances.
    I've always felt that honesty is a precious gift.
    I continue to wish you well, (all of you), and hope a peaceful resolution will soon present itself.
    I stood in your wife's "shoes" a few decades ago, and although hurt, yes angry, I was very grateful for the truth, and will always respect him for that.
    Hope that helps a little.
    Keep breathing.....

4. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been out to my wife for a few weeks. We plan to divorce. We are staying together until we nail down child custody and then we will discuss the divorce and I'll come out to my son. The former is more pertinent to him.

---------- Post added 11th Jul 2015 at 01:24 PM ----------

Thank you for the words of support Gratitude. The act of posting is per se cathartic and a declaration to my EC brothers and sisters that I'm no longer putting up with this!

5. Chicagoblue

I have not come out officially to my wife but she suspects. I'm going through a bit of what you are but not to that degree. I truly feel for you. I hope you can find a gay or straight buddy or two for local support.

I would not have been as kind to Artlett as you were. Nice job on that.

6. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks - Now that I'm out, I've started to reach out to various LGBT support groups with a non-aliased email, which feels great :slight_smile: So between EC and LGBT support groups in real life, I am well supported. Hearing that I'm not alone has energized me. It will get better. When I’m alone or with my son, I feel so much happier today than I did just 1 month ago. Coming out has lifted such a huge burden from my shoulders. The turmoil and pressure are making me stronger and will forge a diamond in time!!!

Artlett may not be a regular in LGBT Later in Life. Most people on EC are well-intentioned, and I believe we should give our brothers and sisters the benefit of the doubt.

Chicagoblue you will face trials and tribulations when you come out to your wife. My advice is to prepare well. You will want to understand the legal issues in IL. I spent a lot of time preparing mentally. I had to address my personal demons of putting the needs of others/society ahead of my own and transmute shame into pride :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: You must think through your own set of issues and find the strength required to come out. You can do it!!!

#6 SiennaFire, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  7. ArlettBaySB

Out Status:
    Some people
    As I said on my last post. I'm very sorry if I sounded rude in some way. I mean well and, basically, I joined EC because I want other people to feel as safe and happy as I feel with my sexuality. I want to help others the way they helped me, when I realized that I wasn't alone.

That there are other people like me.

I know you're going through a really hard time and I wish, your son to be proud of you, because you're not only brave to admit what you like but a nice father from what I've read so far. I wish I had a dad so concerned about my well-being and my safety.

Your wife is hurting and I get that, but I think that maybe within some time, she'll understand that it was for the best and that you didn't just choose this.
    You're NOT selfish.
    That's the way you are, and it is good to be who you are.
    Congratulations on coming out and,in my case, I would be proud to be your kid, I think your son will be proud of you too when you tell him the truth.
    Stay safe and smile, everything will be better :slight_smile:
    You have all the support in here.
    Very sorry if my question was too direct. I needed to know in order to say what I really wanted to say. Good luck!

8. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ArlettBaySB

No apologies necessary. I was not offended by your question or your directness. Like I said, most people on EC are well-intentioned, and I believe we should give our brothers and sisters the benefit of the doubt.

My wife hit her low point on Thursday, and she seemed better over the weekend. She even joked about what some of her female friends will say after I come out. How the light builb will go on for them (that's why he likes shopping :slight_smile:) Of course this is a long process, so I've come to expect that we'll take two steps forward, one step backwards.

Thank you for your kind words about this gay dad. They are a welcome counterpoint to what my wife has been saying.

#8 SiennaFire, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  9. cakepiecookie

That sounds like a really hard situation all round.

I don't think it's in any way okay for her to treat you as a verbal punching bag, and you should absolutely tell her that you're not willing to put up with it. That said, I'll play devil's advocate for a moment and say that her reaction is somewhat understandable. Her life has been turned upside down and it's hardly surprising that she's angry and lashing out. Of course she's feeling negative. You make it sound like it's a character flaw when in fact it's a pretty natural reaction to an upsetting situation. It sounds like you could stand to show a bit more sensitivity yourself.

Give her time. You've presumably had years to work through the fact that you're gay, while she's only had a few weeks. I'm not suggesting that you should allow her to verbally abuse you, just saying that she deserves some degree of understanding while the news is fresh.

You guys have a kid together so it's extra important that you try to treat each other with respect (and that of course applies to her too). The way you react to her now will set the tone for years to come.

I wish you both the best with everything.

10. clittle63

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sennia have been down the road you are on and not the great feeling when your other half don't want this to happen But keeping it bottle up is not anything but denial to yourself Most partners will get upset and frustrated but some not many will accept sounds like your partner wants to not be involved
    Hope this helps you in some way
    Your friend
    Chris

11. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    clittle63

She's beginning to realize that she needs someone to talk with. She's looking for a therapist close to work.

BTW, I cannot read your blog entries. What option for sharing have you selected?

12. SocceRoo

Hey SiennaFire,
    I say this from experience (my parents are divorced) and for the benefit of all three of you, when I say that even though you plan to divorce your wife, you will still be regularly seeing each other because of your son. Therefore, you should know and let your wife/ex-wife know, that both of you should resolve any problems you have between the 3 of you as fast as possible, so that there is minimal fights and that your son is not a victim/2nd hand victim of the fight/s. Also i suggest that if you 2 do start fighting/arguing that you remove your son completely from the situation (to a friends or relatives house).

I'm happy to hear that you have come out and even more so that you are feeling better for it, despite you being used as a "verbal punching bag", which I'm very sorry that's happening to you. you are doing a great job, you should be proud and hold your head high! :thumbsup:

I hope everything goes smoothly from here and I hope this helps :slight_smile:
    keep posting or post on my wall if you wish :slight_smile:

13. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey SocceRoo,

Thanks for offering the perspective of the child of divorced parents. Both my wife and I want to do what's best for our son. She still disagrees that transparency about my sexuality is best. She acknowledged this morning that she needs a therapist with whom she can discuss things. So we continue to make slow forward progress.

14. SocceRoo

No Problems. :slight_smile:
    I've noticed a few other people write that an lgbt friendly therapist would be best. I guess that would be a good way to start for you two.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well for you :slight_smile:

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Hindsight is 20/20.

When you are trapped in a burning building there is no time to ponder why you chose to live in that building.

Once Sienna is out of his hell it will be much clearer as to the how and why of it.

You see this with many faces in the LGBT community. Gays who support politicians who are opposed to LGBT civil liberties. Gays who support religions that condem the LGBT community severly.

These folk do not see the harm they do, nor will they ever until they take a step back. Sienna is only doing what he has to do in the moment. This will change in time. He has to deal with this in his own way.

The oppression of being gay and its wounds are most visible in hindsight and that is when they heal.

#15 skiff, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  16. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We have a couples therapist with LGBT experience. I'm looking for a therapist who is gay for myself.

---------- Post added 15th Jul 2015 at 08:39 AM ----------

The building is burning because I chose to come out to my wife and start the divorce process. I've previously posted on how I got here - lots of shame from early childhood, a generational difference when it was less OK to be gay, a strong desire to be normal, the unraveling starting at midlife, and the journey to authenticity. Despite all of this, I'm more at peace with myself today than I was before coming out.

#16 SiennaFire, Jul 15, 2015
  17. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Sienna,

Trust me... It becomes more clear, more settled.

18. Chrissouth53

This really doesn't relate to being gay. It relates to your inability to be assertive in the face of abuse.

I suggest reading "It's Your Perfect Right: A Guide to Assertive Living".

19. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This situation is very common for couples going through divorce under these circumstances. Let's just say that my assertiveness is getting me into this situation. She needs to seek support from a third party, instead of me, which she's in the process of doing.

#19 SiennaFire, Jul 15, 2015
  20. SocceRoo

it's great to see you're one step ahead :slight_smile: