1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another great talk by Ash Beckham - On Duality

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by greatwhale, Jul 11, 2015.

1. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Greetings,

Here is another great TED talk by Ash Beckham on how we often hold seemingly contradictory positions on things, very much an antithesis to the conventional wisdom of opposing and contrary polarities, such as politically left or right, liberal conservative, etc., etc.

I love the symbol of the rainbow for precisely this reason. If you look at an actual rainbow, the colours blend into each other, there are no sharp demarcations as on the flag. Life is a spectrum from one pole to another, and we are always wandering from one end to another, however, this does not absolve us from having a moral compass, from knowing right from wrong.

Of course we know this from our own experience and from the experience of those we personally know. Unfortunately, media representations of anything are incapable of the nuance necessary to understand this.

I am reminded of a line from Walt Whitman:

2. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ash's talks are wonderful — she captures the essence of a problem, reducing complexity to brilliant simplicity.

3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for sharing this greatwhale.

I endorse this as a great talk for the newly out. Through her narrative, Ash covers some of the gritty challenges ahead of us.

• The importance of having friends who are empathetic to the challenges our sexuality.
    • Do we need to stand up against every negative remark or let it pass through us?
    • Do we need to let go of our BF/HF hand when passing by a stranger?
    • As a gay dad, I am an advocate, dad, or dualistic combination of both?