1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transgender Coming out and name??

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Plant7120, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Plant7120

I recently came out to my parents, finally! It was well accepted thus far, but they have yet to use my name... I just get sweety, dear, and so on.

I also have begun to see a therapist to start therapy going towards HRT.

1. she is wondering how often I use my male name.

I use it in instances when I know there is no legal aspect, but have not gotten a legal name change, dmv, ect...... How soon have many trans used their new name on paperwork, or do you wait until after a legal name change?? I also have not changed my name on Facebook, so no one on their really knows as of yet. How soon can or have individuals done that???
    How far should I take it, or?????

Has anyone changed their middle name?? I guess it would be a bit funny to have a feminine middle name,lol.

As I said, my mom seems to be OK, but keeps asking me to wait and not make it too soon for some areas. For other things medical, dmv, my daughters school records I am not sure how soon is too soon?

Ive been looking up how to do legal name changes on my Birth Cert in Oregon, but all I need is my letter from a doctor stating I have begun changes via testosterone (HRT) legally.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For anything that has a legal aspect, you'll want to use your current legal name. Before I had my name changed, I used my chosen name on customer loyalty cards, email lists and facebook. You have to be delicate with parents, because it takes them time to get used to calling you by a new name and pronouns. I would continue to remind them so that they do not just try to forget that you have come out as trans.