1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genderfluidity Question - how to tell grandma

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Biotech49, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Biotech49

Hi All,

My brother informed me last night that his daughter, whom everyone assumed to be a lesbian, is actually genderfluid. Though I have heard of this term and know what it means, I am kind of stumped on the "they" pronoun. She is having top surgery in a week and has been on T for a while now.

My question is, how do I gently let my mother (her grandma) know about all of this? We are visiting my brother and family for two weeks in August and she will be recovering from surgery at his home. It was a shock enough to my mom when I came out and I think she will be okay with this but I am not sure how to proceed. I thought about Googling the question but realized that there are folks at EC that might know. I am fine with K's decision, but like I said, wondering how to broach the subject with grandma before we visit.

Thanks!

2. Keahi

Since this is your niece's story, why not ask her and her dad (your brother) how they'd like to go about it?

3. Biotech49

My brother seems to think that because I am a member of the LGBT community, that it might be easier coming from me. I had plans to talk to both of them before I talk to our mom/grandma.