1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friendship is stake...I don't know why we are fighting.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by KittyKisses, Jul 17, 2015.

1. KittyKisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm fighting with my friend and I'm exhausted. I can't tell if she loves me, hates me or even wants my friendship. Or if she is uncomfortable because she thinks I love her...

We've been close friends for over a year and a half. She's in her mid-thirties and has an older boyfriend of twelve years. I just noticed that she keeps little notes that I've written to her like "Have a good day" or papers that I've drawn or written on. I doodled a bunny once a year ago and I found it in her box of miscellaneous papers. (I was not snooping...she left it out on the table, I swear!)

We are both women. She likes to bring up the subject of homosexuality casually, but I can't tell whether its because she thinks I'm a lesbian and wants me to confess or whether there really isn't a secret undertone. She has a few lesbian books and graphic novels. Her parents don't respect homosexuality and got into a fight with her boyfriend who was defending it.

I fear making unfair assumptions and I have never asked her about her sexual orientation. We are friends and it doesn't matter to me:icon_bigg. (Besides she does have a boyfriend so such a question would always seem inappropriate.) But now we are in such a fight because she has become irritable with me for reasons unknown to me. It seems like everything I say bothers her so now I avoid eye contact and am very cold to her. I am about to call it quits on our friendship because I don't know what I've done wrong and she has the worst communication skills I've ever encountered in a person. I'm scared that she thinks that I am attracted to her and that it is making her very uncomfortable.

Please give me your opinions. Thank you

2. be direct.

Hi (insert friend name) we haven't been getting along like we normally do but i dont know what the problem is. is there something that is bothering you that maybe i did without knowing? let me know what's up. we've been friends for a while so just checking to see what is going on?

all you can do is be upfront and direct. if she chooses to stonewall you then screw it. there's nothing more you can do. is she bi or a lesbian that likes you...? who knows. but that doesn't matter. see if she spills the beans and if not, just bounce and be a hi-bye friend.

3. KittyKisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I did just this. I asked her what I had done wrong or how I could fix it. She said she doesn't have an answer for that. I asked why she seems different and she said she doesn't know.

You are right. I will give her a bit more time to come to me and then that will be it. Thank you for tough advice!

4. cool. dont' you feel great that you did all you can do. you are being a great friend. hey maybe you did do something that really upset her. maybe she caught you snooping through her post-it notes (just kidding:slight_smile:) but whatever the issue you, you're being an awesome friend by asking what you did wrong and attempting to fix it. if you were just like "screw it and screw you", then hey maybe you would be a bad friend. now if she wants to play the passive aggressive game like her response indicate, then she can play by herself. if she doesn't know how to communicate her issues and wants to hold them inside, then go ahead and let her. your hands are clean and i'd personally wash my hands of her if she was not forthcoming and i definitely would not beg her to fess up or force it out of her. you've done all you can do now go and enjoy your weekend. if she wants to pout like a child, then let her.and since you're in new york, there's tons of other gay friends out there for you. :slight_smile:

5. KittyKisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Re: My friendship is at stake...I don't know why we are fighting.

Thank you so much. I am trying to be strong. I just keep reminding myself that you can't lose a friend if you never had one to begin with. Thank you for helping me understand that I'm doing the right thing.

6. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like maybe she's scared. It seems like there is a decent probability that she is bi but it's obviously not an issue to you. It might be worth telling her that if she anything to tell you that you will accept her or rather that you will not be upset wth her even if you can't understand it.
    You don't have to out your own suspicions by asking her whether or not she needs to tell you something and telling her that you still value her as a person even if it's "bad." Hell, maybe she is just having a hard time with her boyfriend or maybe she thinks you're lesbian and she isn't interested. And frankly who cares of you're really both great friends. It can only make you better friends for it to be on the table

7. KittyKisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you for your ideas. I am and have been worried that she's scared. She's been recovering from a depression. I tell her she can talk to me about anything, but I don't ask specifics. She has a habit of being very vague and unwilling to discuss.

I guess that's the problem. I'm worried about her, but there are only so many times I can approach her without risking being a nuisance. And now, I find myself less able to sympathize because she isn't treating me very nicely and is making me feel like I'm always in the way.

If she's afraid, then I shouldn't abandon her. But she's so standoffish that I'm compelled to.

8. bi2me

Maybe writing her a letter would help. My bff and I have done that a few times over the years when we needed to explain something or ask something. It lets you think through exactly what you want to say and how you want to say it, and it gives her time to choose to respond in any way she wants to or to ignore it completely.

9. i am of the belief that you can only help people that want help and personally if i am extending an olive branch and someone keeps taking a flame thrower to it, then i need to just accept they do not want my help and move on.

you can always keep the door open, but you do not have to keep standing in the doorway and letting someone slam the door on your face day in and day out. that's not being a good to yourself.

whatever you did or did not do to this lady, if she wants your help, she knows you are there now and will reach out when she is ready. maybe she will. maybe she wont. but i for one would not keeping letting her disrespect me and blow me off.

"it's ok to be selfish when you have done all you can do to be selfless"...timeforchange quote.

10. KittyKisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I agree with you that that's a lovely idea! The problem is that I've done it and to no avail. :bang: I know that she reads and absorbs and then contemplates, but she doesn't respond. She has some sort of verbal blockage.

It had been almost a week since we had said more than "Hi" to each other when we finally started talking again yesterday...about simple, funny things. She seemed to really want to laugh. I don't like it though, because there is no resolution and I feel like I'm suppressing my upset.

There was one thing though, on a more serious level: She said that she feels that I worry. I responded by saying that I only worry that I am upsetting her and need to know how not to do that (ergo a resolution to our fighting). She finally told me what I can do!! She said: "Just relax." She finally answered the question...but I don't know what that means!

---------- Post added 21st Jul 2015 at 03:43 PM ----------

Oh boy, I agree. This is what I was thinking until we started speaking to each other again. It has also been pretty difficult to maintain this line of thinking because no matter how much she refuses to communicate or how snippy she is, she is still so charitable and generous with me. She has helped me lots in the financial department which makes me feel guilty. She goes out and buys the things that I like, like muffins and coconut candies, and leaves them out so I get them when I come home, all while not saying a word. Oops, I should have mentioned that we are roommates.

#10 KittyKisses, Jul 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  11. KittyKisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello, if anyone is still interested. Things have been all right between us. I am still confused, but am not as fervently considering giving up on our friendship.

I thought that I would note though, that I scribbled on a piece of paper a thank you for a show that she had taken me to a couple weeks ago. When I knew that she had already seen it, I threw it away as I was cleaning up, thinking nothing of it. Then today when I was looking for some scissors, I found it...in her bedroom. She had taken it out of the trash and kept it!

I can forgive her easily for being been snippy with me if it's because she has feelings. But I need a second opinion...Why would she keep (especially from the trash) insignificant notes from me?

12. bi2me

I can't think of any reason besides having feelings for you. It sounds like it was taken to save.

13. KittyKisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you for the input.