1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Passively

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by 99701, Jul 27, 2015.

1. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just ordered a pride bracelet online. When I get it I was thinking of just wearing it when I'm at work or a meeting of people I haven't come out to yet, when I'm ready. It would be a way of coming out without having a conversation to those who understand the significance of it. Others will either have no clue and ignore it or will ask me about it, which I will tell them. I plan to be honest with anyone who asks. It would be a good way to meet guys I might want to go out with too. I'm not very obviously gay and in a place that's has mainly straight people, it might get someone attracted to me to approach me. Good idea or no?

2. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great minds think alike :slight_smile: I saw a pride bracelet in a store recently and wondered the same thing.

If you are out to the people that matter, I'd say give it a try. One thing to consider is that you might also attract the attention of homophobes, so please be prepared to stand up for yourself.

Please keep us posted on your decision and how it works out for you if you try it.

3. bi2me

Sounds like a good plan to me. :slight_smile:. My son made me a Mommy bracelet that has rainbow beads on it, just bc he knows I like rainbows, and I wear it a lot. It makes me feel a little less invisible.

4. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, that's so cute and sweet. You have a wonderful son.

5. bibeauty28

bibeauty28 Guest

I bought a pride bracelet with the bi flag colors on it. It makes me feel great! Not a bunch of ppl know the bi colors tho so nobody asks me about my bracelet. They haven't thus far, that is. I bought it in May of this year and haven't taken it off since.

I will be getting a dime size tattoo of the equal sign on my outer right wrist (pinky finger side) this year to remember the marriage equality law passed on June 26th of this year. You may have hear of it... lol. Then I will take my bracelet off.

I know a lot of ppl say being lgbt is only a small part of who you are but to me it's a bigger part of me than that and I want ppl to know it. I'm sick of hiding it. It's about time more lgbt ppl were visible in the US!

I say go for it! It feels great to wear it! And if it makes you uncomfortable you can always just take it off.

PS~ No one has treated me differently because of my bracelet and what it means. But again, it's not the gay pride rainbow colors. I suspect your bracelet will be a hundred times more visible than mine. Good luck and may the force be with you, friend! :thumbsup:

6. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So far, so good. I've been wearing my pride bracelet since Saturday of last week. Nobody has said anything yet at work or the veterans group meeting I went to on Wed. I'm not sure many noticed it or had any clue that it had meaning. I asked my one friend I'm out to at work if he saw it and he had no idea what it was for. I did get a reaction at a concert I was at last night. He smiled, showed me his pride jewelry and talked to me for a minute or two.

7. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you get his number? :slight_smile:

8. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really love the t-shirt saying "I'm not gay, but my boyfriend is". Its definitely more overt, but I like the smart ass tone of it.

---------- Post added 7th Aug 2015 at 10:13 AM ----------

That really would blow the whole passive approach out of the water tho. But I've considered too getting a bracelet or something. It would be nice to maybe get hit on once in a while.

9. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like that t-shirt too, but it would be more appropriate once I actually get a boyfriend.
    I like the one with "I can't even think straight" also.

It was a new feeling, but fun to be recognized by someone who gets it. Kind of what I had been hoping would happen all week.

10. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah I want to be at that point where I could just wear that to the mall or something and just not give a damn who sees or what they think.

11. BidiKlum

I think it is clever - most people won't recognize what it is but the ones you want to will! :wink:

12. hanshotfirst

I think it's a great idea and great way to be a little more "out", even if only you realize it.

13. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've kinda been considering a rainbow barcode tattoo on my inner forearm, but also am sketchy cuz don't care for some redneck asshole to make me another statistic or something.

---------- Post added 11th Aug 2015 at 08:43 PM ----------

Couldn't really hide that wearing a T-shirt.

14. CameronMR

I plan something similar! I can't wear bracelets or rings at work, so I got a lapel pin in the shape of a rainbow heart.

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is not a perfect world and there are jerks out there. Be prudent and aware.

16. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i am kind of considering the same thing to be honest.