1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more sparks?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MelonBurrito, Aug 1, 2015.

1. MelonBurrito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is my first post, forgive me if it's not in the right forum. But I would like some advise from my elders in my community.

I'm 27. And I have never been in a relationship that has lasted more than a few months. I had one man that wanted to marry me...and I wanted to, but due to some family issues, I had to move abroad to Israel to take care of them. I ended up getting drafted to military service..and I did move on in my head from this man that wanted to wait for me. So I fell for someone else.

But it wasn't until I was in the middle of my military service, and my former to be husband died by drinking himself to death. I became over came with stress and guilt...and I felt cheated on life by God himself if there ever was one. I was serving a military service where I was basically useless, taking care of my grandmother and uncle to no real avail.

I developed an incredible rash after hearing of my ex's passing. It lasted until I moved back to the states...I waited for the right man to come along...and I thought I waited for the right guy. When I came back, I met someone, and I wasn't able to bring myself to have sex with him until five months after we started dating.

And then he disappeared.

It's been nearly two years since my to be husband passed. And I've tried so hard to move on....I want to, I know he wouldn't want me to stay fixed on him either. And I try...I go out, and nobody seems to want me. I don't talk about my past, and I try to get to know people for who they are.

It wasn't until I was sitting in Philly today, I was at a cafe trying to do some homework with the intention of returning to my date....and my date says he's not interested while I am away, telling me that we can still be friends, but I have to leave now. I received it in text....and I had this impulse to throw myself from the balcony where I sat. (I didn't)

I no longer can maintain an erection for years now. I don't know how I am supposed to attract anyone when I can even please someone. And I don't know how to move on from my feelings, and even more...with how much I have been moving over the past few years, I don't think I have a single friend willing to lend me an ear...and I don't know how much I want to speak without animosity. I feel embrassed, ashamed, ruined for anyone.

Has anybody ever felt like this? Is there a way out of this?

I just want to move on with my life....and I want to remember the joy that sex can be...

2. Sue Baloo

((hugs)) I have always heard that when the right one comes along, that that stuff has a way of correcting itself. Before I fell for my last girlfriend, I thought I had lost my sex drive was long lost, but within the snap of a finger, I was like a 15 year old boy :wink: I know this just scratches the surface of what you are going through, and I am sorry for your great loss. I truly hope that this periods starts to pass for you sooner than later.

3. MelonBurrito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for the well wishes sweetness. I just wish there was a way to expedite this process. The fact that it seems like my only outlet to meet anybody is online doesn't really help. I miss living in a city where a gay guy would just hit on me old fashion >.<

But how long did it take you to go out of your phase where you didn't have a sex drive?

4. Sue Baloo

It happened the minute I accepted my feelings for her. There was nothing gradual at all. It was great to feel normal again. I remember how broken I felt before that. She turned out to not be the right one, but she got me out of the closet once and for all. I don't have many opportunities to meet like minded people in person either, especially that are somewhat close to my own age, but I just always remind myself, that everything can change in a split second. There is no way of know when it will come, but it will. There is no such thing as too late. I'm 49 and have lived a wild and crazy life, but I really feel like my life has finally just begun.

5. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Erections can be effected by emotional upsst.

You need to work with somebody.

6. Sue Baloo

Skiff brings up an important point. I have heard it can be very hard to find good therapy in the UK. I obviously haven't had to deal with erectile problems, but therapy has helped me greatly in the last year especially. There is no shame in taking care of yourself.

7. MelonBurrito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Of course not,

I do want to seek out help, I went to do the doctor, and she recommended to me some pills....and I don't think I need a pill to fix me. I mean....I wish it was that simple....there was a sort of anti depressant that she recommended to me that a rare side effect includes painful erections...and I miss those...so I did think about it...

And I did actually speak to a physiologist a few months ago. But I couldn't get over the fact that I was paying someone for a little bit of their humanity, if that makes sense. And I would have liked to find a gay male doctor to help me. I don't think a straight doctor would realistically be able to help me in talks, because they don't physically understand how things work in the gay community. I know they will say that the concepts between the sexual preferences are the same..but the advice that I got from the straight guy seemed....I dunno...a bit off?.

8. Sue Baloo

I have a buddy in England who is a gay male, and he has had to do a lot of therapy work, and he has had the worst time with the therapists they assign him, so I can feel for you.

How is your body image of yourself? Maybe it is time for some pampering and self love, to help nurture you as you heal. It sounded like you are being rather hard on yourself about all of this, so this is something that could really make a difference.

9. RainbowBright

I think you need to work through your grief before you do anything else. I personally think pills and dates and everything else are just a distraction, until you reach the core of what is bothering you and let it out. No running from it. It doesn't sound like you're in a good place to date right now, and that's what other people are sensing and so that's why they're leaving, and it makes you feel even more rejected. But for the moment, you don't have anything to give them. You need to focus on putting YOU back together, so you are a whole person again, before you add anyone else to the mix.

As they say, there is no going around grief, you need to walk straight THROUGH it.

That's a hard and painful process, and a gay-friendly therapist could certainly help you. There are a lot of books and websites on grief though, if you can't find a good therapist to talk you through it.

Personally, I have been through a great deal of extreme grief in my life. I felt no self-worth. I was suicidal. I ended up checking myself into a hospital for suicidality, because I didn't want to do it, but I could find no other way to survive. Another patient while I was there gave me a book on Buddhism and grief, and while nothing in the hospital helped me at all, that book actually gave me a lot of comfort. I was familiar with Buddhist principles before, and they always spoke to me pretty well, although I'm not Buddhist. For me it made sense, that the pain I felt was from expectations that life should have been any different, that I had a sense almost of entitlement to life being a certain way and when it wasn't, I felt cheated, and depressed. I blamed myself a lot for it "going wrong." But really, perhaps the problem was that I had this mistaken notion that it should have been any other way but the way it happened.

As the book noted, the only thing actually certain in life is change. So these ideas opened up two things for me: 1. maybe there was nothing actually wrong with my life, or with me, and maybe I could learn to go with the flow rather than resisting, because as I have read in multiple places, those who fight change are the ones who have the hardest time in life - we need to be adaptable, resilient, open to new things. And 2. perhaps all of this was SUPPOSED to happen this way, to open me up for a greater experience, a greater purpose, a greater love, a greater wisdom, that I never could have known without it.

Your lost love would not want you to be like this, would he? He would want you to live, to rejoice, to be happy and live fully in the life you are so blessed to have at this moment. He does not have the choice of enjoying it right now. But YOU were left to be able to LIVE. You can live for HIM, in honor of him and his memory, at least up until the point where you learn to live for yourself.

Consider the happy possibility that maybe you are going through all of this and because of it will be a better person, and will appreciate a deeper love than you ever could have been ready for when you were younger. Or maybe there is even greater work for you to do, that is not about a romance specifically but about making the world a better place. Maybe all these past years, though terribly sad, are the greatest thing that ever happened to you because they made you ready for this amazing life, or higher calling. Maybe you can try to let go of the expectation that things should have been different, and work on accepting what IS. Maybe it was meant to be that way. Just like everything else in the world, it is also meant to change. So perhaps learning to be a little less reliant on the externals of life, the things you can't control (including other people and what happens to them or doesn't happen), but just relying on you and the love and joy you have inside of you as a breathing human being, might make you feel a little more in control, and a little more at peace. I think it's a hard thing to do to totally divorce yourself of the need for a stable life and relationships, but I personally found the striving for it alone to be helpful enough that it made me feel healthy - I never really need to get all the way to a truly ascetic life, just the striving for that thought is plenty.

I don't know if this will help you, since we are all different, and find our different paths. But reading up on ideas like this helped me cope a lot, to get me out of the worst of it. And from there, I took my second (ok, maybe hundredth) chance, and rebuilt my life. And eventually, I wanted to live for ME, to accomplish things for ME, and the whole relationship thing will come after, when I have what I want out of myself and others see me in a great place. Taking care of me has to come before seeking a relationship, otherwise the relationship becomes a total mess and a new source of pain in your life. You don't attract great people when you are a mess inside, believe me!

Sometimes, psychotropic drugs save people's lives. But if you can get by without them so you can work through this grief clear-headed, that is probably a faster and more complete way to get through it. Again, let go of the expectations. There is no "I SHOULD be over this by now," "My grief SHOULD be faster," "I SHOULD NOT be feeling this." Just take it as it comes and let it take as long as it takes. Keep working at it until you have a breakthrough.

Seeing a trauma therapist can be a great help, if you see that you are experiencing signs of PTSD. Someone who can take you through EMDR, tapping, or other techniques designed to help a person process trauma can get you off that broken record you're stuck on of being stuck in the middle of grief but never moving past it.

I would let the sex and the dating go for now, because the problems you're having in those areas are likely side effects of your emotional problems, and when you work through those first, the other stuff will probably right itself without any pills or any other help needed.

I wish you healing.

10. MelonBurrito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for the time and words sweetness.

I actually did read the book of bhuddah a few years ago...and there it is sitting on my bookshelf...maybe its time I give it another read through. I think I actually stopped reading it when I read that the only medicine you should have as a Bhuddist should be made from the urine of those of the Brotherhood >.<

But aside from that...it did help me in the past...and I do try to keep its principals in mind. But maybe its time for a refreshing.

I was actually diagnosed by the last man I spoke to with PTSD...I just feel weird paying someone to tell me what I'm pretty sure I already knew. And I know you have to give these things time. But I feel almost like a failure as a person that I haven't been able to work through my own issues.

You are very right...I haven't been going about moving on in the right direction. I have heard this time and time again...and it's not like I don't follow the advise. But its just a travel...the advise on working on you and the relationships will follow. And I do work on myself, I'm putting myself through school and going back to the gym, starting to run and swim again. Quit smoking (went to vaping, also trying to quit this)...

Sometimes it is just all too overwhelming

And Happysue!

I don't live in England sweety! I live in Lancaster Pennslyvania :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm just sketched out when it comes to physiologists

11. Sue Baloo

LOL, I think that I was thinking Manchester.

12. PULCHRA

PULCHRA Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I became a widow at a very young age and never thought that I would have lived to see another day. Here I am a few years later and I'm living my truth! It was not easy! I saw a therapist for a couple of years and allowed myself to go through the grieving process. You will get past this, one day at a time, no one minute at a time! Focus on being the healthiest that you can be, remain active and you will heal. I still have good and bad days but as time goes on the bad days are few and far between. You're not alone! (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

13. MelonBurrito

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for your words of kindness

I did read the beginning of the book of Bhuddah...It was so weird...it was just the section on his life beginning...and I don't know what it is but it had me already seeing the world in a new light and had me tearing just a bit :slight_smile:

It's good to read.

14. Moongirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can't add anything to the kind words of advice and very good wisdom of the above posters, but wanted to say I was sorry for your loss. I think if anything you may not be done grieving, as another poster said. I hope things get better for you!