1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Take my time to figure it out? But how...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by TeaTree, Aug 6, 2015.

1. TeaTree

So, I've been on this rollercoaster for a while and it's exciting and exhausting in the same time.
    I went to my first therapy appointment earlier this week and that was a kind of funny experience. Basically I chikened out so much, that I couldn't tell her my issue exactly, I was just talking around it, but could't say that I'm questioning my sexuality so she offered to guess it. And succeded:icon_bigg

Interestingly it came through more like that my issue is not with questioning but with accepting myself.

But I'm in a very longtime relationship with my boyfriend and since he knows I'm questioning my life at home is a living hell. The therapist said that if I don't have any specific deadline to decide, I should just take my time to decide what I want to do with the relationship.
    This sounds all nice and relaxed but in the real life I'm having serious issues with it.

I don't know how others do this - but for one, since I told him, we haven't had sex and honestly I don't want to. Since I've let myself finally acknowledge that I'm not attracted to him (and sexually never really have been), I just can't.
    So now there is this cold war between us, we still talk and even go out sometimes but I feel the tension is huge. And I feel that he is like this timebomb, extremely stressed, but not talking about it, only making sarcastic remarcs sometimes.
    I feel exhausted, guilty and confused, especially after we spend time together.

We are going to visit our parents tomorrow, they live in a different country, so that will be "fun"...

Meanwhile I feel stuck, afraid to tell my boyfriend more details about how I feel (or don't feel) about him and all that's happening to me...

2. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (*hug*)

3. Sorrel

Hi TeaTree. I read some of your previous posts and I recognize myself in your story.

"How" is a good question. One thing I've discovered for myself, is that I can't rush the process by pure will. Recently I began to acknowledge my attraction to women... and even enjoy it. At one point, I sort of gave in... and waves came crashing in. Emotions, dreams, physical sensations: looking in the mirror asking, "Who is this?" And suddenly I had made it tangible by telling my boyfriend "I think I might be a lesbian".

Inside myself I've discovered doubt, fear, homophobia, resistance. I don't like what I just wrote above. I don't like that I'm in a confused situation with my best friend (my boyfriend), feeling selfish, not knowing what to do at all. I've discovered that the desires, dreams, feelings and sensations inside of me have a life of their own and if I look closely, they begin to tell me new things. I'm trying not to think too much. Because my rational mind is often trying to make sense of the "sense-less": emotions and sensations.

As soon as I start to try labels on I get more confused. This process is huge and complex. It's like so many buttons are being pushed... like a domino effect within the self... In my experience the rational mind wants to make sense of it very quickly and decide "What is this, do we call it A or B, what to do next, who needs to be told and what to cook for dinner?"

Give yourself time :slight_smile:

Oh, I guess that's not much advice, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I guess my advice is to tell him only what you're ready to tell him. Don't feel like you have to say everything at once. Also try to sense if he'll be able to handle what you need to say. Sometimes it's more compassionate to wait a little, because he'll need time and space to deal with this, too.

The fact that you don't want to have sex is very real. See what it feels like for you not to be having sex with him. It should be an indication of what you would like to do with the relationship. Wishing you all the best.

#3 Sorrel, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  4. TeaTree

Thank you guys, it means a lot to me that I know I'm not alone (*hug*)

Wow, Sorrel, I've read a lot of posts here on EC I could relate with, but what you just wrote, wow, I could have written that. Word by word almost.
    I can relate so much! With the giving in, emotions flooding in, looking in the mirror asking who is this, the fear, the internal homophobia. The need for labeling which most of the time is only a distraction and a restriction from the reality of emotions and the complexity of the experience. Which is real and when I surrender myself to it without judgement it's the most amazing thing ever :slight_smile:
    And discovering these hidden or supressed facets of myself is priceless. There is a lot of pain on the dark side of all this, but that is part of the discovery I guess.
    Though sometimes when I wake up in the morning I feel like everything is so weird, so different than it has been before, and I'm asking myself if I'm not making all this up..

So yeah, thanks so much for writing. It's a crazy rollercoaster and it's so good to check back from time to time to see that I'm not totally lost or crazy and that I'm not alone. :slight_smile:

And if you would like to tell me more about your story, and what you are going through I would be more than happy to read it :slight_smile:

5. TeaTree

I think what makes this more complicated is the fact that we live together and have been for 7 years... Also during these years I gradually managed to isolate myself from most of my old friends, I thought I needed this somehow, not sure the reason. Even if, when I was a child this was one of the things I hated the most, that my parents didn't have any friends, and I thought I'll never be like that :slight_smile:
    And while isolating myself into the relationship, me and my boyfriend have built this private world of ours, with jokes and hidden references only we understand, but also with a lot of judgement-talk about other people. I've come to realize that with this attitude, even if we had great laughs, I'm keeping myself away from others and also doesn't help with my own self appreciation and self esteem issues.

This relationship found me in a zombie state 8 yrars ago, I've been going through depression, bulimia, self harm and the likes, and I didn't even know why are all those things happening to me.

Interestingly I used to think that emotional and physical closeness can only come through a romantic relationship. And that can be only with a man of course...
    When I see women who become very close friends and this is also manifested physically, like hugs and kisses on the cheeck, I feel jelous in a way, and I feel like this emotional cripple, I could have never done that, and when I was younger I convinced myself I didn't want to either. I was this cold person in the outside with emotional thunderstorms in the inside.
    So yeah, I became obsessed with men, because that was the only way I saw that is possible to get my emotional needs.

Anyway, sorry for making this detour, I think I should start writing a blog or something instead of writing here half-novels all the time :slight_smile: Just really need to get the thoughts out..

I'm going now to travel 7 hours in the car only me and my boyfriend, and for four days we are going to stay at my parents' pretending to them that everything is fine. Hopefully my mother won't start again with "subtle" hints about when will we get finally married and have children because think I'm going to burst then...
    Also I asked my bf if he would't want to stay at his parents, so we would stay separately while there, but he told me he can't because what would his parents think that we are staying separately...and would I explain them why because he won't...
    I can understand this, but it makes me mad because this is what I've done for so many many years - living by the mantra "what would people say" . And it's more than toxic.

#5 TeaTree, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In creating this thread you have given yourself a space where you can express how you really feel inside. When you don't have an outlet for it, it becomes all the more difficult to cope because your headspace is so crowded with all of the mixed emotions. Maybe a blog would be useful in giving you a safe space to record your thoughts as/when they arise; you may begin to see things more clearly.

In many respects, it sounds like you have checked out of the relationship with your boyfriend and maybe he has too, but when you have been with someone for 7 years and you have built your life around them anything else seems daunting and scary. Maybe you need to address these fears too? The time factor isn't just about making sense of your feelings, it's also about acting upon them in the best way you can and that's a big challenge in itself. There are people here who have been through it though, so you are in good company.

7. Really

A 7 hour car ride? Yikes! I think if you stayed separately, you could 100% believably say you'd had an argument.

8. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow. I've been going through this too. At first I was happy to realize that everything made sense, and that emotion initially gave me peace but then, being able to be brutally honest with myself seems to have unleashed a torrent of emotions related to the past, including past relationships and friendships....I still feel a great deal of peace while also experiencing these emotions, if that makes any sense at all. I'm at peace with who I am now, finally, but I'm angry at myself at the same time---not me, now, but angry at myself for the past, if that makes any sense. At first I was telling people on here not to be angry with themselves for the past, or to judge themselves for the past, but now, I find myself doing it, too. I pulled the car over and cried today over it.

I'm saying this because I guess this is what is meant by taking your time. This is a highly emotional experience and you don't want your actions on any one day to be overpowered by your emotions. You want to be comfortable with yourself and what you're doing, even if what you're going to do is ultimately uncomfortable. Give yourself time to work through it.

9. TeaTree

Those fears are definitely there, and yes in a way I might have already checked out mentally of the relationship, but especially now, when we are together all day on this holiday I feel in a way very close to my bf. In this very close friend-way. We have fun together, laugh at our inside jokes etc.
    That until something makes me remember that our status should be "in a relationship" and this is how others see us, this is how he sees us (I think), and then guilt starts flowing in, and I'm starting to feel that I'm a horrible person for not revealing to him how I exactly feel about this relationship.
    But I'm afraid to take that step for now...
    I don't know if this is some kind of bargaining stage but I wouldn't want to lose him as my best friend...In the same time I'm not sure whether this is not holding me back from being truly myself.

Maybe I should just be honest with him and tell him all this - that I still feel very close to him, and I love him in a deep friendly way, but I'm not sexually and romantically attracted to him. But this sounds so cruel to say...And so limiting in a way. I don't want him to hate me...

So yeah, there is still this deep chaos in my mind related to this. But in the same time there is also this newfound clarity and self-confidence I've never had before. So either I'm going crazy or I'm discovering some very core pieces of myself :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 8th Aug 2015 at 10:25 PM ----------

That was actually one of the better parts of the trip.:icon_bigg
    The worst part was today when visiting his parents and his mother started suddenly talking about how much she would like us to have children. Like out of the blue. I was already pretty irritated at that point and I just burst out "I don't".
    But then I felt pretty bad and especially because I know my bf would like to have children and I didn't want to make him feel even worse about the whole thing.

10. TeaTree

I think I know exactly what you mean when you say you are angry with yourself from the past. Even though you are telling people that they shouldn't be. This sounds all too familiar to me too.. And I'm sorry you are going through this, because I know how much it sucks. (*hug*)
    For me it's like this reoccuring feeling of "I wasted my life, my twenties" or something.
    But the good thing is I'm getting more and more conscious about these occurrences, and I'm very aware of how toxic and how even untrue these thoughts are. And that helps.
    So I guess I haven't wasted my life up until this point after all, if I managed to learn to deal with these thoughts and not let myself become their slave...:slight_smile:

11. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can totally relate to that.
    The last decade it was just me and my best friend aka my ex-bf. Except him I cannot say I have other friends, at least not close friends that I can meet in person easily and hang out with. I don't know how it happened but it just did.
    We also had our own "vocabulary" and sometimes didn't even need to speak to know what the other is thinking. He was really caring, so fun to travel with and fun to talk to, etc... he was such a great friend but the problem was no matter how much I tried I couldn't see him as a boyfriend anymore and lost desire for intimacy with him; I just didn't feel it.

I was so scared to hurt him or lose him as my best friend though that I tried really really hard so we could keep staying together. I remember my doc told me once that it'll end badly once if I keep pushing myself and let my boyfriend touch me and sleep with me. He was so right. In the end I reached a point when losing him completely felt easier than to stay with him. I hated myself for not speaking out and standing up for myself, I even started to hate him a little so I broke up with him.
    I wish he was still around as my friend but it's not possible right now because he's hurting and I need to give him time to recover. I wish it was easier. (*hug*)

12. Sorrel

Hi TeaTree, glad to hear you got something from my post. If you want to read more about me you can click on my name/profile and look at my previous posts. I've only written a few, but man they are long :slight_smile:

Don't worry too much about "what to do" and "how to do it". Things are already in motion. Life will continue, ever changing, and we can't stop it. I like to remember this expression: "Trust the soup". The quantum soup, that is. Everything will happen in it's own time, at a natural pace. Personally I had a break from this forum for a few months. Now I'm here again. This process is always with me no matter what I do during the day.

It's as though my mind is divided into a top layer and a bottom layer. The top layer is the shallow, logical mind that can't quite grasp what is happening in the depths below. For example - if I see a beautiful woman, I might feel a deep sense of longing, and a tingling sensation, and I'm sort of carried away on a soft dream when suddenly the shallow mind says: "But you're a woman!" ...which has nothing to do with what I'm feeling, but I'm tempted to listen... and if I start watching myself, I grow confused and tired. This reminds me of advice you'd give to someone walking a tightrope: "Don't look down".

Paris and TeaTree, it's so good to read your posts because I'm in exactly this situation too. Are we living the same life? :slight_smile: hehe. My boyfriend and I also have created our own little world, with our lingo and sense of humour, with no other close friends really.

Also Paris, congrats on your progress! Hope you are doing well!

Back in my early twenties I used to think: "I'd like to kiss my friends. Why do we live in such an uptight world that I can't do that?" I've never really had male friends, I connect easily to women. And I never explored that thought further.

Instead I ended up in two straight long-term relationships. Mainly because the men pursued me, I think. They made me feel like I could open up, be vulnerable, and let them comfort me. I needed something from them very badly. I'm starting to see that now.

#12 Sorrel, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  13. TeaTree

I really wanted to write here, but these days I just feel so stuck and so low in energy that even the words don't come.

I'm back after 5 days of subtle brainwash from the country where virtually every person is straight and all of them are on the pursue of good ol' traditional family life. This was the city where I lived for 29 years and I've never been so exhausted after visiting it as I am now.
    The whole pretending with parents, that everything is fine, I wanted so many times to just tell them, just shout out everything I felt, the questioning, which is not so much questioning anymore, more like confusing myself while not sure how to accept it and take the next steps...
    Other times I felt sooo confident and closer to myself I've ever been. Everything made so much sense.
    But then again, I looked at my mother, my boyfriend's mother and I could mostly see their dissapointment with me, with what they hoped I would be - and also my anger because I feel that their biggest wish would be for me and my bf to have children. And this is one of my biggest sources of guilt, I feel like this spoiled child who should have done what "everybody does", get married and have children.
    This was basically the turning point for me - my boyfriends wanted us to get married for a long time, I just kept postponing the day. Even when I could't come up with a reason why I don't want to marry him, I just couldn't say yes. It was something so strong inside me saying "don't do it yet", but I couldn't say why. And then somehow it clicked about a month ago. This, after a few weeks of having weird fantasies with other men I realized that actually I'm not even really attracted to men...

Anyway, I should decide (or we should decide) if we are still going on holiday together. We had something planned for September, and half of it is already paid.

Otherwise since I told him about my questioning, we have this weird relationship - everything looks like the way it was from the outside, suffering in the inside. Since then we don't kiss, don't have sex, but we hug because I also want that, but not in a sexual way...When he mentiones some future plan together I always cringe a bit...It's like he is suffering in silence and waiting for me, when will I finally decide about how I want this to continue. And sometimes he is like this wounded animal with so much love and so much suffering in his eyes, it' s breaking my heart.
    But for now, I can't decide anything.

14. High Art

Teatree, I'm so sorry you are going through this. It is as painful as all hell. I relate so much to your story, and to Sorrel's story.
    I am also at a point of exhuastion in my relationship. I love my husband - I do. He can be difficult at times, and we've had some problems recently - but all in all, I love him. I chose to marry him, after all.
    But... I have this big secret from him now. Something he knew was a bit of a question for me - but he doesn't know how much it has taken hold in recent months - how much I know my attraction to women to be true.
    I am so afraid of telling him what I am going through. Afraid we will start the beginning of a long break up, afraid of losing him as my friend. We have a business together, and a half-finished project that means the absolute world to me. I don't want to risk losing that either - yet I don't want to lie and manipulate our relationship in order to keep it.

It seems like there is no way out right now - either I bury my head in the sand, or I destroy my life and his. From what I hear, this process takes a long time. I've only been in the thick of it for about a month. Right now, I just feel like I want to push it down, push it aside - it's all just way too painful to consider the alternative.

I hope you find your path through this.

15. bi2me

High Art - what's the big secret? Attraction? Or something more? What are you thinking about doing?

16. Sue Baloo

I remember the cold war stage with my soon to be ex husband. It lasted for I don't remember how long, but it made things extremely stressful. For me, it ended up helping to give me the courage to tell him I was gay, once I was sure. After a while, when I had admitted my true sexuality to myself, the fear of him wanting/trying to have sex with me was unbearable to the point that I couldn't even sleep.

17. TeaTree

I just had this dream where a woman suddenly kissed me and I didn't really feel anything special - in the dream I was thinking, "it's not a man, I should be kissing men, not women". Then, also in the dream I was thinking that when I kiss men I feel something is off because it IS a man.
    Now I woke up with this confusion in my head again :icon_roll

18. BidiKlum

I'm sorry you are going through this TeaTree - it is so hard, as I think everyone on here can attest!

I wouldn't listen too much to your dreams, they can have all sorts of layered meanings, like maybe part of you thinks you should be kissing men and therefore didn't feel anything when you kissed a woman in your dream. Or something...dreams are weird. :wink:

It does sound like your relationship isn't going so well right now, have you thought about couples counseling? IMHO, once the sex is gone from a relationship, the rest of the relationship will start to fail as well...maybe it would be better to get out while you still have a friendship intact? Sorry if this is too harsh, of course it is easy for me to say, but I hope it helps to hear an opinion anyway?

Best of luck...

19. High Art

bi2me - The big secret is that I am - without a doubt - attracted to women. And since I have realized this, I am barely, if at all, attracted to men. I also had the briefest of flings with another woman (which I can't tell him because it would out her - and also cause a rather big amount of drama considering we were all working together on a creative project). The fling was the catalyst for me - my big "aha!" moment.

He knows I am/was curious in general, and possibly bisexual - but I'd always insisted that when it came right down to it, I wasn't actually physically/sexually attracted to women. (this was a half lie - half me being in mega mega denial.)

20. bi2me

I think when it comes down to it, if he knew there was a possibility of you being bisexual, it probably won't come as nearly the shock you think it will. You can go back and read my early and very crazed posts from last year. My husband knew that my friend and I were intimate in high school (at the same time I was dating him, although before we were officially exclusive). I told him I might be bi.

Fast forward nearly 20 years of acting straight, and I spend time with her again, and it all hits me out of no where. I'd been identifying as straight. Forgot all that "bi-curious" crap from high school. I was TOTALLY.FREAKING.OUT!! He took it pretty much in stride. He said, "I know. You've always been bi." That was nearly as shocking as finding out I really was bi and it wasn't a passing thing from adolescence. :slight_smile:

You have to figure out the best way to tell him, but if you want to stay with him, he needs to know. You can't just keep it from him and hope it goes away again. If you don't want to stay with him, you probably still will want to tell him so he knows why do want to/need to leave the relationship. It's up to you whether to disclose the fling. Some people insist they'd want to know, others would rather not know. Only you can know him and you and your relationship and if it would help or hurt.

I'm at the point where in my relationship, we are monogamous, but I'd be open to the possibility of polyamory if we both thought it could work. I think there are too many marriages/relationships that fail simply because someone is interested in sex with someone else. If everything else in a relationship is really good, but you want more or different sex, is it worth leaving? Or splitting up a family? I'm not in favor of cheating, but if both (all) people know and consent, isn't that better than a million broken up families?