1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being labeled too old

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by MZRaven, Aug 6, 2015.

1. MZRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a person who was in their 50's and I am 57 actually tell me that i was too old for her that she was not ready for a rocking chair. That pissed me off. Why do some just assume that kind of thing about someone a few years older. IT is not like I 88 years old.

It is very hard to try to date when you are older especially if you avoided it for awhile because of being burned by someone. Being disabled seems to make it even harder as people assume that you some how need to be taken care of or that you are not rich enough for them.

I am really tired of people assuming shit and passing me up because I do not measure up to their standards.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can say with a pretty high degree of certainty that the person who told you that was, herself struggling with her own feelings of getting older.

There are plenty of fish in the sea who will love you for who you are. Don't let the bitter and broken ones dissuade you from looking.

3. BidiKlum

I agree with what Chip said, don't let one bitter person (or even multiple bitter people!) dissuade you. I guess there are sites for everyone out there, is there something for people with your kind of disability? Not that you should restrict yourself but it might be nice to have some like-minded people to chat with...Good luck!

4. Chicagoblue

I would think that in Minneapolis there are plenty of women ready to worship at your feet.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, I didn't catch the location. Minneapolis, for whatever reason, is widely known as lesbian central. So yeah, there should be a pretty good collection of folks to meet and connect with. :slight_smile:

6. MZRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol you don't live in minnesota do you. Yes there are groups for lesbians. IT is not like it used to be. Lesbians do not even have their own bar any more. We do not have our coffeehouse any more and the bookstore closed a long long time ago. All the lesbian only venues for any kind of business is gone. The vast majority are younger. While a younger person might be fun they are not good relationship material. I do not live in Minneapolis just near it. I live about a hour away so it costs money to go there. Until the first of sept. i am pretty much stuck on using personal dating sites and they suck.

7. Chicagoblue

I'm wondering why the places have closed. Are lesbians mainstream now so need for them?

8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Look at it another way... Your 50 year old is screaming something about themselves "I hate myself. I am 50 I am old and scared".

You need that person in your life?

It is like closeted or questioning who are homophobic. Their personal feelings about themselves are transfered to others.

You dodged a bullet. Be happy.

Man... That explains a lot of bad behaviour.

#8 skiff, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  9. MZRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No it is more that lesbians tend to not make as much money as men do so it is harder to keep lesbian owned business's going. There is also a moving away from the gay scene in general going on which i think is a huge mistake as we are not accepted everywhere and it s a more safe place to hang out at. A lot of people are using the internet or meet up groups. I am sorry but the internet is a pretty shallow and unreliable way to make and keep friends.

---------- Post added 12th Aug 2015 at 02:43 PM ----------

Not to mention that if all the GLBT bars close shop and we are left with just straight owned ones we are going to get hassled more often. As it is i have gotten hit on in the past by men in gay bars. I just look at them in disbelief and say do you have any idea what kind of bar you are in?

10. Chicagoblue

Now that is weird. I guess they were bi...or very very occasionally a straight guy.

OK so that is a study in sociology...I appreciate you comments on the scene and why places are closing.

11. Sue Baloo

This above, and it sounds like you already know it, you are more of just ranting that people can be this way. I am looking forward to having my own circle of close friends who happen to be lesbian. I know there are a ton of great women out there, but I know even at only 49, I feel like the weeding through the assholes phase is something that I don't have time for. I just want to have fun. As far as people passing judgments about being involved with disabled people? I would find that infuriating beyond belief. Ultimately, this is the stuff that we do have to deal with though, just know that you are not alone. :wink:

#11 Sue Baloo, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  12. MZRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

No straight men many times drag their girlfriends or wives to our bars in the hopes of finding a woman to play with them. Many times straight men will come to the mixed bars or lesbian ones to try to get a lesbian so they can brag about how they cured one of us.

Yes there are bisexual men there but they usually know better then to hit on a lesbian.

---------- Post added 13th Aug 2015 at 02:30 AM ----------

You are correct I am basically bitching about it.

13. BidiKlum

It's the same over here in my city in Europe, FWIW...Lots of gay bars, not so much for lesbians. Not that I'm out and single and would be able to go to one anyway...but I have looked just out of curiosity...