1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling lonely

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Eilin, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Eilin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came out about a year ago and I've been living on my own for a couple of months now. Most of the time I feel pretty good about my situation, especially when my son's around, but when he's with his dad I get so lonely sometimes. My best friends live abroad, so I don't get to see them as much as I would like and I have no social connections within the gay community.
    Today there was a pride parade in my city, so I went to check it out and I even attended the festival. Although I apreciated the general atmosphere of acceptance and seeing all kinds of people celebrating together I don't think I've ever felt more out of place. The music isn't my thing, people were way to outgoing and I really felt like I didn't belong. I really don't know how I'm ever going to meet new people and I'm scared I'll end up al alone.
    Any advice?

2. EastCoastGrl

Find lesbian social groups that do things more to your liking. Do you have any MeetUp groups in your area? How about volunteering at a LGBT center? Is that possible?

Try not to get down about not having any lesbian friends...right now. All you need is one or two to make all the difference. I, and most of my lesbian friends, are always looking to make more friends in the community. Just find the right setting for you.

Pride is usually a time when people go to celebrate and they are already in groups or with friends . It's not the best place to meet people. Don't let it get you down. I'm sure many woman would love to be friends with you. (*hug*)

3. Eilin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hadn't heard of meetup, but I will check it out. I also don't now about the volunteering. I have to say I am a pretty shy person, it takes me some time to adjust to being around new people, so that makes it harder as well. But I guess I have to keep trying. I did talk to a few people today but they all seemed so confident en outgoing it made me feel unsure about myself.
    Thanks for the advice!

4. Chicagoblue

Good friends who are open-minded, irrespective of sexual orientation, is what helps me. Something to do, places to be on the weekends. Love will find you as long as you're not hiding. Hang in there my friend.

#4 Chicagoblue, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  5. Eilin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for your kind words, I know I should go out more. It's just really hard when my favourite party people are living in another country.
    I do enjoy my stitch and bitch group and those are all lovely ladies, but they are also not much of the partying kind. It's just hard, I am a physical person and after a year without any intimacy I'm starting to feel a little desperate.

6. Chicagoblue

Would there be an exercise group (bikers) or place (gym) to find high energy people like yourself? Again, going "lesbian hunting" might become frustrating. Rather, just being around a place like a gym would be life-giving and the nice lesbians will find you. Just sayin'

7. Eilin

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I didn't mean physical in that sense, I'm not that into sports, although I have been thinking about taking up running again. I don't do that well in groups, I am quite the introvert.
    I mean I miss being close to people, having someone around to hug and stuff like that.
    It's not that I'm on a 'hunt', I just miss having a real connection with someone close to me.
    It's just that I feel I have a lot of affection to give and no one to give it to.

8. BidiKlum

I live abroad too and it took longer than I expected to find a group of friends - but eventually via online groups I did find friends IRL as well. And hey - running will help with the endorphins and feeling good about yourself, and make it easier to be open to new friends and even something more.

9. dee22

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I feel the same im a very independent person so happy going about life on my own but sometimes feel i really want to be around someone but i dont go out much and only like a small group when i do. Its hard to meet new people but i suppose making an effort to meet new people of all kinds means when you do meet someone its been natural not hunting someone down for the wrong reasons.