1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost Hyperventilated

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by 50ishandout, Aug 9, 2015.

1. 50ishandout

So the one of the reasons I was able to Come Out was the fact that I had a Stroke last September. Thankfully no lasting effects. While I was in the back of the ambulance I thought I was going to die. I can't say my entire life flashed before my eyes, but enough did that I did a lot of self examination over the winter.

During this time I was going back and forth on Facebook with a female friend of a guy that skates in the hockey league I run. We went out on a date on Halloween night. The whole time I was with her I was following with my eyes the waiter dressed as a cowboy. Go figure.

It was a nice night but there was nothing there. Being a total douche I never called her.

Fast forward to yesterday I'm running a hockey tournament and I go into the lobby of the rink and there she is. I immediately froze. I turned and went back into the rink. My heart was palpitating.

After getting myself in check I knew I had to talk with her. Fourtunatly there was an opportunity when no one was around and I explained everything to her. She was great and understood. She said she was happy for me.

I still think she may think I'm a douche, however I'm glad I had a chance to see her because we will bump into each other in the future.

#1 50ishandout, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Brohg

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it helps, if you see her again, just explain further, its taken you a long time you come out, and you felt closed off from being honest about who you are for the longest time (people come out all the time at any age), and that the stroke made you feel it was time to be honest about who you are.

She sounds like she was friendly in the first place, so tell her you hope you still be friends, and hope its not awkward, since this is a big step in your life.

Good luck too, last thing you need is stress over such thoughts, just be honest with her, and maybe start meeting guys :wink:

3. 50ishandout

Quick update. She sent me a Facebook message today saying she was happy and proud of the fact that I had the courage to Come Out. Also she couldn't imagine keeping such a thing inside all these years

All in all things are good.

4. pasinhose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations. My story is somewhat similar and I know how you feel.

5. BidiKlum

Ah what a lovely story! It sounds like she understands and doesn't think any less of you - in fact, more of you that you could go to her and explain.

6. 50ishandout

I was a great relief. Coming Out has been so life changing. This was one of the issues I worried about and it turned out fine.

It does get better.