1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relief but guilty

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Thirdtimecharm, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So last night my husband and I had an argument. He is pretty short tempered and has an anger problem. It has been a very big issue in our relationship Bc the way he treats me and the kids sometimes is not acceptable. He became upset about something pretty ridiculous, and when I tried to talk to him about it he called me a horrible name which he is in the habit of doing and has done our entire marriage. I don't know why I put up with it. I guess maybe for so long I have been conditioned to and maybe he has said things to me for so long maybe I believe them, and I know that is terrible, but it is true. Last night instead of continuing the argument I told him to please leave the room and let me be that his behavior was unacceptable and he ruined my night. He told me that I have ruined his decade and that he wants nothing to do with me right now anyway. He said various other things as well and has told me that he wants to leave me several times so this is nothing new to me...but when he said that to me last night I felt a wave of relief and began to imagine my life post split, coming out and being me...dating women and finally Being able to breath. What a horrible thought right? To feel this way about my marriage and my spouse and right before we are supposed to go on a vacation. The things he says to me have hurt me deeply and frankly when he does get into one of his moments it makes it very easy for me not to want him, not to want to be with him, to think about my life with a woman and for a bit, even if it is brief moment I am happy...and relieved.

2. Sue Baloo

I am still not officially divorced from my husband, but he was and still is the same way. My marriage to him was the darkest ten years of my life. For financial reasons, the kids and I still live with him, with me sleeping in the living room. The plan is to do this for two more years, until I finish college in 2 years. It is hard to believe that as such a strong woman, that I let this happen. I am just grateful to be on the other side of it now. The day I came out to him, he let me know how much he hated me and how he has for years. He is a major homophobe. I tried to talk realistically about the kids and their future, but he just wouldn't stop with the abusive talk. I finally stood up and said well, you aren't being reasonable so I am leaving, and I stood up and walked out of the room. It was the first time I ever did that, and it was an incredible feeling. That was a little over a year ago.

3. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I split from my gf, of 14 years, two months ago. Emotionally, I had been split much longer. But to finally NOT be in that relationship anymore has been such a huge relief. I have been called fag more times than I can count, and despite all that I find myself STILL trying to be as nice as possible, tho only for the kids sake.

4. EastCoastGrl

Hey ladies...

When I read your posts, I saw you both impose judgement on yourselves. Although it may be hard, try not to blame yourself for putting up with things, or getting yourself in a mess. That is all wasted energy. Focus on your future and be kind to yourselves. Shit happens to all of us. The only thing that matters is right now and your future. Hang in there (*hug*)

5. Sue Baloo

Yup, for the kids. I am bending over backwards to make it as healthy as possible for the kids. Something that I have been working on, is to stop doing things to try to make my ex happy, when he doesn't do the same back. I need to focus on myself, and the kids, and our happiness, and then just be cordial with him and offer him the respect due for the shared housing, and him footing most of the expenses until my school is done.

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2015 at 12:24 PM ----------

Thank you (*hug*)

6. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, at least its good that he hasn't tried to put you out or something.

7. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry Sue Baloo, sounds awful. I understand. I sleep in the living room as well, have for several years. I sometimes wish he would just leave and I was a single mom. He has gotten really good as using my questioning of my sexuality against me as well. At first he loved it, Bc it was about the sex with him. Is not about the sex for me (although it is a bonus...) for me it's the emotional connection, the lightness, the understanding-I can't get enough of it. Maybe one day I will be strong enough to finally say no and move on...right now it's about the kids, my little lights. I would do anything for them, My life is about them. Sometimes I feel selfish about even thinking about myself, how I feel a void, how I want to have a relationship with a woman sooooo bad...sigh.

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2015 at 02:09 PM ----------

Angeluscry, I'm sorry she talks to you that way, what an awful person to say that to you. Glad you have found relief being urself...that's the beginning part. I not there yet. Still trying to find the confidence to do so...kids are the most important part for me too. Being nice for the sake of the kids. Good luck :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2015 at 02:12 PM ----------

Hi ECG,
    I am the queen of self judgement as that is my pedigree Catholic school all my life...it's in my DNA lol. It's like I know nothing else. I do have the momma bear that emerges that is fiercely protective of my kids, but I seem to forget to protect and stand up for myself ....as I sometimes think of myself as an after thought. Horrible habit I know. Thanks for the words of encouragement...working on moving forward. My kiddos deserve the best mommy ever...

8. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not knowing how old your kids are, I can only say that honesty is the most important thing. My kids are older, 10, 12, and 15 and my 12 year old just flat out told me one day that she would never expect me to stay in the relationship for them. Of course I did as long as I could just for that reason. I think that if you're honest with the kids about things, they are much more capable of understanding then they sometimes get credit for. In the end, I'm sure they would just wanna see you happy.

9. Sue Baloo

My kids are 8 and 10, and they already know that I am lesbian, and that I will never be with Dag again. Their Dad can really be rough with them emotionally too, so the three of us are really tight and talk a lot about it and how we feel. They both want to stay where we are, so that I can get this degree, and then when I have it, the three of us are relocating, probably to Seattle. It is our two year plan, and we are pretty excited about it. ^_^

10. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's great that you have such a close relationship to your children. My ex always accused me of brainwashing the kids and trying to befriend them too much. I suck as a disciplinarian, I know, but I always felt it was more important to build the close bond with them so that they always know they could talk to me. Just yesterday I took the girls to the mall and stopped at Victoria's Secret cuz my 12 yr old really wanted some "fancy underwear" and the two older ones commented that its crazy how they felt so much more comfortable in there with me than they would have with their mother.
    I think its great you have a plan in place for relocating. That may very well be the exact thing needed to put all the negative crap to rest and begin again.

#10 angeluscrzy, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  11. Sue Baloo

Thanks <3
    and I think that doing the things that you are doing with your kids is so important. I believe that it instills a lot of trust, and helps to nurture the friendship between parents and their kids. I know so many people say, you are their parent, not their friend, but I just don't buy it. We are their parents, AND their friends.

#11 Sue Baloo, Aug 14, 2015
  12. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah my kids think their mother is evil, cruel and rude. She hates that they tell me everything. Just found out last night that she recently told the girls she hopes I find some guy, get f***ed, then bashed. And it blows their mind how she can say something so god awful. Unfortunately she is the type where if she says the sky is green with orange polka dots, you are a liar if you disagree. And I can understand all of this being hard on her, but its getting to be a bit ridiculous.

13. Sue Baloo

Sounds like she is in the same arena as my kids' dad. It's amazing how the kids are really able to sort out the BS. I hate that they have to deal with it, and go through this, but by going through it, I am getting a glimpse of what my kids are made of, and what amazing people they are becoming.

14. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly. I am so amazed at watching their personalities develop and it fills me with such joy to see them becoming such strong, outspoken young women.

15. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My kids are smaller, I have a three year old and an eight year old. Still very impressionable. I am trying to make an effort to mend things with my husband Bc I do want to stay and see if we can continue our partnership. I am not yet to a point where I feel that I am a lesbian and I need to stop living a lie and leave my marriage and come out. I am not sure if that would be the best choice for me right now. My husbands behavior is not ok most times and angeluscrzy said "Unfortunately she is the type where if she says the sky is green with orange polka dots, you are a liar if you disagree. And I can understand all of this being hard on her, but its getting to be a bit ridiculous"---boy this is my husband. When he gets like this I tend to go more towards my women liking side and want to seek out comfort from a woman. I need to figure out if I want out of my marriage, and if I do want out is it Bc my husband is an asshole that will never change and I cannot deal with it anymore or Bc I am truly a lesbian (thought I was bi by as days goes by I am thinking more and more than I may be a lesbian) and I cannot be in a partnership with a man anymore. It's so confusing. Most important thing is that we are taking care of ourselves so we can be an amazing parent to our children Bc as it is obvious with a number of us our current partners need a lot of work....

16. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What I've come to see is how much I had just grown to resent my ex in so many ways. I can't remember the last time I looked forward to her coming home. And there is a big part that also thought maybe things are like this cuz I'm not meant to be with a woman. I always felt inadequate and like I'm supposed to fulfill a role that I'm simply not made for. And as I am allowing myself to check out guys and just saying to myself "I'm gay", I am starting to feel much more confident and for the first time in years I am starting to feel inspired to just get my shit together and be the absolute best me I can be.

17. Sue Baloo

Do either of you ever find yourself wishing that your straight partner would hurry up and fall in love with someone else, because it would make things easier? I would love for it to happen with my kids' dad.

18. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sue B, I wish my husband would run away sometimes, or that I was a single mom. Might be horrible but sometimes it seems it would be easier for me. The both of you have made the decision to end things and that is the first and hardest step. That's amazing. I am not there yet...not sure I ever will be but when I say or think that I feel horrible Bc that means j will never get to experience being in a relationship with a woman and I really really want that. My best friend and I were super close and basically had an emotional affair and my husband realized what was going on and it almost ended my marriage. He put me through hell for it. Sometimes...well a lot...I wish that her and I had a physical relationship too Bc if I was going to get the wrath of my husband for an "affair" I wanted to at least have the the full experience. Sometimes I do wish he would stray and have an affair Bc then it would be easier for me or I think it would....I don't know. I feel like I sound like a horrible person.

---------- Post added 14th Aug 2015 at 10:46 PM ----------

That's such a true statement....as you have said once you allow yourself to check out guys and allow yourself to be gay there is a confidence in that...

About a year ago I began talking to a woman online. Things were flirty at first and it felt weird to me...like inappropriate and that I am married, I shouldn't be flirting with anyone. I told her that and also told my husband about our talks. He was ok with them. Then the talks between her and I became very inappropriate and the more appropriate the better!! At first I was scared to feel good and exited by our talks....but I can say that talking with her, the back and forth exchanges were some of the most exciting talks I have ever had with someone ever....and the most turned I have ever been. I thought I knew what it felt like to be aroused. But I didn't, not until I had a connection with a woman. It was such a scary but fantastic thing.

I resent my husband now for the way he talks to me and the kids. And he throws my sexuality in my face when we argue...tells me to go run off and be the lesbian that I am. He lives to hurt me sometimes I feel. That is the most sacred part of me and he knows just when to throw the daggers.

#18 Thirdtimecharm, Aug 14, 2015
  19. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't even talked to any guy in any sort of way even. Having been with the ex for so long, and I can't be unfaithful, I have never had the chance to find out how that would be. Right now, I'm focusing on just doing right by the girls, getting myself in a better place, and then seeing about getting to know someone later down the line. Definitely hard sometimes when you wanna go running into this new life you've waited so long for and yet having that part that is hesitant about having to get used to someone else's baggage, much less exposing them to your own.

20. Sue Baloo

Neither of you sound awful at all. Things will get easier. I really believe that. (*hug*)